Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / position from left to right
- - By meetarun72 Date 09-08-2010 07:46
my welder is qualified in the flat position left to right" ,can he welding in the right to left position.(AWS Code)

waiting for reply

arun
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 09-08-2010 08:43
meetarun72
First Welcome to the Forum
Check the table for essential variable change requiring welder requalification.
It is not an essential variable, so no they do not need to requalify.
While you are there be sure to check if the welder welded their test piece right handed and do they need to requalify to weld left handed, are they still qualified?
Same answer as your question.
But again Welcome to the American Welding Society Online Forum.
Marshall
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 09-08-2010 17:37
Do you mean forehand to backhand?
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-08-2010 19:38 Edited 09-09-2010 03:19
Another case of someone trying to complete a performance test record without really understanding the terminology.

Progression is relative to the vertical position and the entry should be either "uphill" or "downhill" progression. The progression is an essential variable for the vertical position.

Forehand and backhand are not essential variables and really have no place being listed on the performance record. The entries of either "right to left" or "left to right" should be your first clue that the person filling out the performance record is in water just a little over his head and should consider flipping hamburgs or selling shoes rather than testing welders.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By meetarun72 Date 09-09-2010 08:08
yes
Parent - - By jsdwelder (***) Date 09-15-2010 23:51
Although I would say most all of us know that  right to left won't make a difference this reminds me of a hot topic I have seen many times in the field using GMAW and FCAW. To push or to pull, lead angle trail angle whatever you want to call it. I have seen welders almost get into fisticuffs over that one! Anyone care to offer their opinion?
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-16-2010 01:17
The easiest way to settle the the issue is to have each welder run a simple fillet break test using 1/2 inch plate. Place the saw cut edge of the butting member against nonbutting member, no root opening. Run a single pass 5/16 inch fillet weld on one side and break the weld to see which one has fusion to the root. The one that has the proper size and fusion to the root wins! The loser buys coffee. If neither welder passes, call me, I'll show them how it's done. :)

My money is on the backhand (pull) technique.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / position from left to right