Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / further education
- - By Jaxddad (**) Date 09-03-2010 23:56
I want to advance my education in the welding field any suggestions on schools or programs?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-06-2010 15:31 Edited 09-06-2010 15:35
It depends on the level of education you already have.

There are courses offered by AWS, ASME, and API that address welding issues at different levels and tailored to their specific fields of influence.

Some seminars are offered by the local sections. The offerings may be one day to five day seminars that may even be offered on weekends. There are also courses offered by a number of colleges and universities that lead to degrees at the Associate, Bachelor, or PhD levels.

Pick your poison. Education is rarely inexpensive in the time needed to study and master the subject and the cost in hard earned cash. Sitting in a classroom alone isn't going to do much for you, you have to put the time in to study the course subject matter. That's were most people fail, i.e., the video games and television are more appealing and less tiring that actually studing.

Best regards -Al
Parent - - By Jaxddad (**) Date 09-07-2010 09:50
I started college and droped out to go to welding school I got a few credit hours but not many. Most of the college courses I have found are engineer based and are traditional 4 year courses. I am working 40 plus hours a week so thats out. My main issue is that I want to make sure what ever I take is going to get me the desired results.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-07-2010 12:25
Jax

You haven't given us even the slightest clue about what you consider to be "desired results,"  Other than advancing your education.

Do you want to learn a new process?   Which one?

Do you want to get involved in inspection?  What kind?

Are you looking to get into a new industry..  Manufacturing?  Cross Country Pipelines?  Power Generation?  Aerospace?

What do you know now... What processes are you proficient in..?   What processes have you mastered?

Lot's of education out there... Some if it you must pay for.. Other types can be pretty self directed.  But you gotta tell us the story..  What do you do now... What do you love... What do you think you might want to do.
Parent - - By Jaxddad (**) Date 09-08-2010 10:30
I am proficient in stick, tig, mig, and flux-core. Right now I am welding in a shop that makes compressor skids. I have realy thought alot about going into weld inspections on the way to a weld engineer cert. I started welding in 1998 when I got a job with a process piping company. Being a laborer I only got to weld on I-beams and supports but, I learned alot watching and helping the welders and fitters. I went to a formal welding school in 2006 and have been welding pipe ever since. I know that I can not stay under my hood for ever and I do not want too. I want to stay in manufactureing just at a higher level then a shop hand. My family wants me to stay off the road so I have decided I am going to better myself in my field.
Thank you for takeing time to help
Parent - By Skaggydog (**) Date 10-11-2010 19:30
Your profile says you are a Welding Instructor?
- By rockythewelder Date 10-10-2010 15:28
Have you looked at NDT or inspection, you can work up to your cwi that way.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / further education