Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.1 prequalified WPS & filler metal brand and manufacturer?
- - By Quality0537 (*) Date 09-29-2010 01:30
Has anyone else been been having customers "rejecting" their prequalified GMAW WPS's  - for failure to identify the elctrode trade name and manufacturer?   It is my understanding that this information is only an essential variable for using FCAW, but I am having a growing number of people "rejecting" my wps's for lack of this information. What am I missing here? Is there something in the new code book that I am just missing or is this something that a particular group of organizations is drumming up themselves?
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-29-2010 03:54
I suppose a customer can wish to *exceed* D1.1 and still comply with it eh?

I don't think they would have a code compliance leg to stand on if they rejected for solid GMAW wire not being brand named. 

They can insist on anything they want as long as it complies with code right?   They are the customers  :)
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 09-29-2010 10:49
I would reply back to them asking them specifcally where this is called for, look up what they referance, then point out nicely but sternly that it's not a requirment for GMAW (assuming its not a requirement like you said, I'm not familier off the top of my head).
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 09-29-2010 16:40
Did you review the contract documents/job specifications? It may be a specified requirement there.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-29-2010 16:44
Scot,
We have had particular brands of items specified in the contract docs before. From anchor rods, to paint....and many things inbetween.
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 09-29-2010 16:50
Same here.  We have to submit for the approval of substitutes to cover our butts.  As long as we can show that the substitution is equal to or greater, we're good.  One thing to remember is that all wedge anchors are not created equal.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.1 prequalified WPS & filler metal brand and manufacturer?