Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Another TKY dilemma...
- - By TimGary (****) Date 10-28-2010 15:05
Hello all,
I'm finding the requirements for TKY connections extremely complex and could use some help understanding how to make our WPS's and Welder Quals code compliant.

Background - We're making GMAW solid wire spray welds, flat and horizontal positions only, in carbon steel HSS box tubing, in Butt - T and K joints, CJP and PJP, with and without backing, in various sizes with wall thicknesses from 1/8" to 1/2". Using AWS D1.1 2010.

Using pre-qualified WPS's, where applicable, and separating out different levels of performace quals would be problematic and cause error potential, so I want to blanket coverage with the max qualification tests both both WPS and welders. I'm having trouble figuring out just how to do this.

Section 4.13.4 is telling me that I need to do three separate 6GR tests, as per figure 4.27, 4.28 and 4.29, in order to get the blanket coverage I'm looking for?
I'd have problems welding theses tests with GMAW spray.
Can I use these same configurations in a 2GR position and still be compliant?

Any advice, comments or suggestions most welcome.

Tim Gary
Parent - By natecf (*) Date 10-28-2010 16:26
i have the same issues. one of the things i found was that first, you definitely can't use gmaw spray in a 6g test. second, a 1g welder qual test will qualify the welder to pjp tky joints (see table 4.10) the only issue with that is, pre quaified pjp status requires plate thicknesses to be 3/16" min. for such joint configurations in tky joints.(see figure 3.3) CJP joint configuations will work with 1/8" material thickness, but section 3.13.5.1 does not include gmaw spray as prequalified in cjp tky joints.
I know this won't answer much of your question, but maybe it will help in your search. i will be very interested to see others opinion on this
Parent - - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 10-28-2010 17:06
One solution of course is to run PQRs and write your own WPS for each change in essential variables.  By qualifying your own procedure you can basically write a WPS and a WQR to cover whatever production conditions are going to be encountered.
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 10-28-2010 18:01
Thanks for the input guys.
Perhaps I wasn't very clear, but running the PQR's is my first step.
I'm trying to figure out just how many PQR's I need to run and which code compliant configurations would give me the most coverage as a basis for multiple WPS's.

Tim
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 11-16-2010 00:06 Edited 11-16-2010 06:18
I also have a question, Table 4.10 (2008) if you look at the top row, Plate, Groove will qualify for PJP T-Y-K connections, but note c says "only qualified on pipe equal to or greater than 24" in Diameter with backing, Backgouging or both."
My Question, if its a PJP, why would you have backing or backgouging?

Carl
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Another TKY dilemma...