Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / hot tap . . . what to charge customer ? ?
- - By southernpride (*) Date 11-10-2010 01:56
How are most independent contractors charging for making a hot tap ?  This is according to API codes as it pertains to underground gas pipe.  The tie-in will be made with a punch-tee type fitting.  I currently charge $75/hr. on gas line, if this helps anyone. thank you.
Parent - - By TRC (***) Date 11-10-2010 21:39
Hey SP, I never charged extra for in-service welding. Most welders here in the east charge 4 hours minimum, although it may depend on your relationship with that customer and how far it is from the house. What you need to figure out is how long it is going to take you to get there and back. Will the hole be ready at the time you agreeded on? Make sure you will be paid while your waiting for them to dig the hole.
Parent - By southernpride (*) Date 11-11-2010 15:35
The job is just a few miles from the house.  These guys are pretty good about paying.  Every 2 weeks.  They had me watch a hot tap last May in hopes Id take the reins the next go around.  I wasn't sure if there was any "special charges" I should pass along.  The pipe welders around here cringe at the thought of welding on a live gas lines.  Honestly, I had my concerns too until I got to watch it done.  Are you guys that weld these punch tees welding them from root to cap with 5/32 5 p ?  That's the way I saw it done.  I am sure everyone has their own way to do it.  As long as there's no leaks and it don't blow up, we'll be good to go.
Parent - - By Rig Hand (***) Date 11-11-2010 02:14
Only making the weld or owning the tap machine and performing the tap too?
Parent - By southernpride (*) Date 11-11-2010 14:12
Only making the weld.  I talked to another guy locally and he charges by the hour.  I am new to the hot tapping scene (i guess thats ovious).  I am not about to undercut anyone and an't trying to.   Thanks everyone for the replies.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-11-2010 12:11
Is this a service connection type of tap or you talking larger? With the gas companies I do work for I charge by the hour, tell them I have a minimum to roll the truck to go out and do a service connection for a house. Most of the stuff is within 30-40 minutes of the house and usually takes about 15-20 minutes to do from draggin out to rolling up. But we are talking a 1" tee with punch type screw. Two welds, pipe from location of where they want their equipment to tee and tee to live line. If they have something that lasts longer, adding more pipe or whatever when I go over the minimum time marker I start charging by the hour, plain and simple. I can typically be out to their location and back home sipping coffee before the morning shows are over. As I said, they are happy, I'm happy and when some guy approached them about welding 1500ft of pipe and doing the saddle taps....they called me to do it. Treat them fairly, price it fairly and build the relationship....they won't bother calling anybody else.
Parent - - By southernpride (*) Date 11-11-2010 15:43
yeah this is a service connection. - probably a 2" punch tee on 4".  I hear ya on the morning shows.  I can't miss my talk radio -but these yankees can't deal with Beck, Hannity or Laura.  So I keep the radio home, id hate to loose the work over that.  That confederate flag an't comming off the truck tho.
Parent - By Pickupman (***) Date 11-12-2010 04:27
The company should have written procedures. Check before you burn that tee on and then have to cut it out. 5/32 seems like overkill on a 2" tee. We use 3/32 for the first pass and 1/8 for the second and third. But thats with a Blackhawk or TDWilliams tee. I haven't seen a 2" punch tee. If they let you put it on with 5/32 be careful not to get a buch of weld on the inside or they'll be cussin you when they wipe the teeth off their shell cutter.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-12-2010 12:24
I run mine with 3/32 root and finish with 1/8". Just turn the heat up a bit for the 3/32 to compensate for the gas trucking threw the line cooling everything off. As far as $$$ goes, how far you from your shop, home base to get there? How long you there waiting for them to dig hole or is it ready? They got a crew there that is gonna hold the assembly up for you while you tack it on the mainline? Or do you have to do it all yourself? I go out they've got the hole dug, a few guys there that say ok, need it right here. They bend pipe or whatever, give me stuff to weld, I clean off weld area, make one weld and then I clean off main where they want it. Then one of their guys holds it in place, I tack and then they walk away. I weld out the tee on the line, roll up my gear while they tap and do their thing. Once they start throwing the tape at it I'm picked up chit chatting and the lead guy is saying send us a bill, we'll get in touch if there is anymore. The longest one was when it was 15 degrees outside and had to preheat everything.
Parent - By stanantonio Date 11-17-2010 04:50
Sometimes I give a first go around at a  rate of hourly charge and let the gas company know that I am doing this to give an accurate bid. Works good so you know what your working with. Why throw down a writen in stone agreement when you dont know what your working with. Dont undercut yourself and bid accordingly.
Parent - By ACOSTA (*) Date 11-13-2010 04:06
I MADE one last week it was a 6 on 16 and they payed me by the inch plus my ten hours thats what this people pay here in south texas
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / hot tap . . . what to charge customer ? ?