Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.5 - Distortion Control Plan
- - By ziggy (**) Date 11-13-2010 00:13
Would heating the bottom flange to correct flatness at the bearing location be considered part of a distortion control plan/program? The hold point would be at line assembly and the heat would be applied in a specific area of the girder's bottom flange to reduce the faying surfaces gap between bottom flange and top of bearing?

Perhaps Clause 3.4.3 applies?

And let's say the girder is FCM just to make it more interesting. (D1.5 Clause 12.12)

thanks,
ziggy
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 11-13-2010 04:09
It's part of a distortion control program.  See the end of 3.4.3, added in 2008:  "The distortion control program shall include standard mechanical or heat straightening procedures to be utilized when common distortion control practices must be supplemented to achieve specified tolerances."

What you describe sounds like upset shortening, which is not prohibited by 12.12.

Hg
Parent - By ziggy (**) Date 11-13-2010 18:26
suffering from insomnia a few weeks ago so got to reading the d1.5 and along with that question (and a few others) i wondered how many times the word "control" appears in the code...262.
then the brain just couldn't let it go, so had to find out how many times the word "engineer" appeared...whole word only...334...
next bout with insomnia i'm gonna start with the astm's...and count the word "shall"...which by the way in d1.5 makes a whopping 1,928 appearances! oh, and those numbers do not include commentary...
don't ask me to verify that please...
ziggy
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.5 - Distortion Control Plan