Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Starting my first job as a Professional welder ?????
- - By leighann hanson (*) Date 11-18-2010 20:56
Just got hired by LIEBHERR to be a welder/fitter trainee. Running flux cored only. Any ideas on what i can expect?? What can I do in the next 12- 14 weeks of training to be successful.
Parent - - By L51174 (**) Date 11-18-2010 21:02
Pay attention to the guys who have been running the wire for awhile. Most trainees fail the fillet test, make sure its the right size. Dont be late, ever. Put your nose to the stone, work hard, you'll be OK.
Parent - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 11-18-2010 21:10
If you have a question ask, learn everything you can an act like you want to learn.
                                   M.G.
Parent - By leadfeather Date 11-18-2010 21:28 Edited 11-18-2010 22:05
Accept Criticism and use it to better yourself and a small piece of humble pie now and then dosen't hurt.
Parent - By Blaster (***) Date 11-19-2010 01:25
Work hard and do good work.
Parent - By Duke (***) Date 11-19-2010 02:00
It's amazing how much knowledge people will part with when they hear "Hey, let me ask a stupid question..."
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-23-2010 03:39
When I was back in mechanic school this ol' timey teacher told us, "When you get out in the shop turning wrenches find the oldest fart mechanic in the place, get to know him and pick his brain for everything he has. When you've learned everything you can, move to the next oldest fart". Don't be afraid to ask, or ask again to understand what they want, how it's done. If you do something wrong, guess what, all of us have. I've cost employers money when I was a green tech, you don't want to but employers know your learning....just try not to do it. Use common sense, take initiative. We worked with a guy who was a helper. Worst helper in the world, you had to ask him for everything, "hand me another rod", "hand me the grinder", "hand me the brush". Repetative measurements had to be told to him over and over......and over again, over 30 times, same 2 measurements and he always had to ask...."how long?". Seemed the only thing he was good at was circling the jobox and drinking gatorades. You can look ahead, you see your mentor is finishing up a weld, have the brush ready, or the grinder. It's kinda like having a crystal ball, thinking ahead. I suppose I could go on and on about what to do but once you get out in the shop and get comfortable it'll come to you.

I'll second the good pair of boots, I've learned that from my wrenching days and a company like Liebherr will most likely foot the bill for the boots once a year. Check out the thread,

http://www.americanweldingsociety.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?tid=26674

a few guys posted some websites to American made boot companies. That concrete will flat out kill knees and feet standing on it all day long. If your out in the dirt and muck like me, it's a lot easier. Good luck Leighann!! Enjoy it!! Your one of America's newest ugly step children....your a Welder!!!

Shawn
- By Fritz T Katt (**) Date 11-18-2010 21:13
Don't act like you want to learn. Actually want to learn.
- - By stanantonio Date 11-19-2010 02:11
Dont spare no expense on a good pair of work boots.  Being on concrete floors all day can wreck havoic on your feet. Look profesional always. That will get you father up the food chain quick when combined with an eager attitude to work and learn. Shows you care and take pride in what you do. Never leave a sloppy weld.   It takes alot of time to earn your reputation but just take a few bad welds that come back bad to go to the standing of hero to zero. The more you pay attention and invest in your welding knowledge and skill the more it will pay bigger dividens to you. I started where you are about to start at about in 2000 and welded for 7.25 an hr and toped out at 9.50 an hour a  year latter. Not going to tell you what I make now but I pay more in taxes than the national average income. Dont let your comfort zone scare you out of try out for a better or more skilled job. If you never step out of your comfort zone progression of your skill and pay will platoue. Hope this helps.
Parent - By Mat (***) Date 11-21-2010 22:56
Showing up would be a good place to start!
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 11-22-2010 01:32
Stan, You need a new CPA !
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Starting my first job as a Professional welder ?????