Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / DIY Dominator Welding
- - By Metarinka (****) Date 11-21-2010 05:56 Edited 11-21-2010 06:05
http://www.diynetwork.com/videos/welding/58172.html

to those of you who didn't catch the show, it's now been released online. It was a fun experience and a few people at Fab tech recognized me. I intend to build a version of the gate (properly) when I get the chance. LE was kind enough to give us the welding machines we used. Attached are a few pictures from the whole experience.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 11-22-2010 02:51
Thanks for posting the link. We don't get that show.
Parent - By thewelder (***) Date 11-22-2010 04:18
that gate was very nice, just a few more minutes and it be done.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-22-2010 11:36 Edited 11-22-2010 12:47
That was a cool looking gate Metarinka, would be great to see it with some paint or powder on it. What are you thinking as far as color goes? Nice work. I liked that quick shot of whats her names 7018 downhill weld they had on the video....ewwwwww.
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 11-23-2010 01:09
I'm extremely busy with work and having just bought a home. I'm extremely hopeful I didn't erase the original cad files. The "proper" gate would of had double the number of rays  a slightly different sun size and no supporting square frame.  I had to simplify the design due to the time constraint and budget.

The material would of been varnished turned copper for the sun, and grain matched 304 stainless for the rays, then the opposite sun would be visa versa with stainless for the sun and copper for the rays.
The backing would of been a very small I beam with small channel sections coming off to support the rays.

The original gate is absolutely beautiful but I estimated would of taken a good 10+ hours at the sprinting pace to attempt to finish it. I'm crossing my fingers I can find those sketches so that I can remake the gate.
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 11-23-2010 01:38
Actually I was able to track down the original sketches much faster than I thought, Attached are the design sketches I made, I'm still missing the blue prints I made in inventor.
you can see the progression from complexity to simplicity, the final design on the right hand side also has a square frame as making a "free floating" design like the other 3 would of taken too long and too much material.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-23-2010 02:52
That would look pretty cool! It's great seeing the stuff other guys come up with.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-23-2010 03:16
ALL I SAW WAS A WHOLE LOT OF HOT AIR AS WELL AS MORE WIND THAN THE CITY OF CHICAGO COULD GENERATE!!! :) :) :) ROTFLMFAOAAA!!! :) :) :)

THE BIG BOMBOLINNI!!! WIPE OU!!! :) :) :) BETTER LUCK NEXT TIME!!! :) :) :) FRIGGIN POSERS!!! :) :) :)

Henry
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / DIY Dominator Welding