Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Ideas on welding bed....sorry beating the horse again..
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-23-2010 13:46
Looks like I'm off to building a bed. I've got ideas but here's what I need. I'm wanting boxes in the sides, 2 in front, 2 in the rear as I have now. I want to drop the bed height. Right now it has 4" channel runners across the frame with 4" channel run right to left. I've searched on here for pics ideas and found some but not many pics of the frames. I've been thinking about 3" channel across the frame rails and shooting out the sides of the channel with.....square tube? Angle? I want to keep my tsc boxes and stretch the bed an extra foot, going from 8' to 9' and move my gooseneck ball back in case I ever do get one. I'm looking at loosing some weight on the bed, ideally I'd love an aluminum bed and the wife says, make it. That would be great if I had the means to weld it....which I don't have at this point. That is my next goal. I'm also wanting to leave a center section open under the welder, mainly under the oil pan, for obvious reasons. Gonna loose the headache rack, as it is useless, especially with lights that only illuminate the back side of a large welder. I've thought about hacking this bed but figure if I leave it as is it is a potential sale to a farmer and essentially paying for my new bed.

I guess my main priority is to shave some weight off the bed. Second would be lowering the bed height, I figure with 3" channel that will drop it 5". I'm tossing around the idea of using aluminum frame to slide my O2 tank into, just a basic tombstone with hole in it and a second hole above for my umbrella storage. I'm also thinking that if I made the frame work right I could make aluminum boxes that I could slide flush with the skin and then bolt the boxes on the frame work. More work but less weight. This is a 2002 Dodge so if anybody has specific 'sperience with the frame that would be great. Guess pics of previous frame would be helpful. I plan on 1/8 skirt, top with a reinforced area to the rear, maybe 3/16. Thanks for any ideas, info,

Shawn
Parent - By richgar06 (**) Date 11-23-2010 16:21
heres a few
Parent - - By weldwade (***) Date 11-23-2010 16:52
Shawn, I have built several and my recommendation would be to use square tube, its the lightest way to go. I did one once with channel on the outside of the frame rails 1-1/2" above them to clear the crossmembers, it was ok but heavy! I built many Aluminum beds when I worked at a tank shop in NM and if I ever ditch my skid I want to build one for myself but it wont be anytime soon because of the price of Al right now$$$$.
Check this truck out it should give you a few ideas.
http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/communities/mboard/showthread.php?15685-Look-what-followed-me-home
http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/communities/mboard/showthread.php?17263-Finally-Finished-08-Dodge-Rig
And my personal favorite, beautiful bed and excellent craftsmanship
http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?tid=19288;pg=1
There are a few pics in here before he painted it
http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?tid=17748;pg=1
Parent - - By Joe Davidson (**) Date 11-24-2010 03:07 Edited 11-24-2010 03:13
I like to use a 6x4 angle, put the 6" side down the side of the frame (notch out around spring hangers, etc) and bolt through the side of the frame. You can adjust how high or low you want it, it's not real heavy, and plenty strong. Another piece of advice I would give is when you get done on the underside, caulk everything up so water doesn't get in between and cause it to rust and blister. I have seen beds rust out in 3 years because of rust between cross-members and floor. Here's the bed I built last year.
Parent - By Johnny Walker (***) Date 11-24-2010 04:28
Those are all some slick beds I'd be proud of any of them!
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-24-2010 11:46
Thanks for the post guys, got things running through my head now and seeing the pics of the backbone really helped the picture in my mind. Thanks again!

Shawn
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-24-2010 11:43
Nice find Wade, that one with all the pics over on millerwelds really let me see the frame. I was thinking about some 2" tube and wondering, looks like it works pretty darn well. I agree with you on the red dodge with matching bed, that is a gorgeous bed! Thanks for the posts!

Shawn
Parent - - By hillbilly (**) Date 11-24-2010 13:03
Cough up the cheese and go the aluminum route. Like I told you we can weld it out at my place, and I can learn from your bed how I wanna build my next one. If there's one thing I've figured out, it's that you always seem to find something you wanna change when you get finished with them. lol.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-24-2010 15:24
I may look into prices on that stuff just for my curiosity. I'll be up in your neighborhood Monday morning and probably the better part of the week. Over off of 99/100. If ya ain't busy you should drop by.
Parent - - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 11-25-2010 00:42
Hillbilly, Just researched prices for an aluminum job I bid, price averagin' $2.45/ Lb. this is in W. PA., home of the Pittsburgh "STILLERS" !!!!!!!
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-25-2010 14:20
Priced out aluminum 2"x2"x3/16" wall at $130 each, 4'x10x3/16" plate....over $400 each. Figure roughly 4-5 tubes plus 3 or so plate.....steel sounds pretty good right now, total on steel was around $450, didn't even figure out aluminum...to scared. I'd like aluminum but my Uncle Trump just won't send me that darn check! hahahaha!
Parent - By rcwelding (***) Date 11-25-2010 17:23 Edited 11-26-2010 03:09
That sounds pretty high for aluminum... Call these guys and see what prices they give you... I haven't bought any in a while but that still seems high..

http://www.easternmetal.com/contact.htm

RC
Parent - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 11-25-2010 19:54
Cummins,You need new Alum. supplier,  over $3. 50/lb. and I thought my Aluminum suppliers were high @ $2.45/ lb. ,had a guy at bid opening he had a price of $1.90/lb. but he wouldn't say who !!!!!!
Parent - By Rig Hand (***) Date 11-28-2010 17:42
http://texashaulers.com/WeldingBeds/tabid/57/Default.aspx

I bought one of these in '08. Its worked out pretty good. I have changed and added a lot of stuff to it since I bought it. I hope it gives you some ideas. Happy Thanksgiving
- - By hillbilly (**) Date 11-28-2010 15:56
Found this one on ebay of all places. I like the rounded lips around the boxes.
Parent - By weldwade (***) Date 11-28-2010 17:27
That is a Bob King bed he has several pics on his website, and some cool beds!
http://www.bobkingstruckbeds.com/bob_kings_web_llc/Welding_Beds.html
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Ideas on welding bed....sorry beating the horse again..