Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Metallurgy / First pass
- - By mohamed radwan (*) Date 11-26-2010 16:38
hello all ,
i have w wps for fillet welding and it says that the first pass is E6010 , and the second and the cap passes are E7018, i want to make the first pass with E7018 instead of E6010 , can i do this ?  i know there is some parameters that will be changed but i want to know if i can start the first pass with E7018
thank you all
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-26-2010 17:01
Mohamed

I don't think as many people look at the "metallurgy" section as some of the other sections.

You may want to repost your question in the D1.1 Section or in the Technical section to get more responses.

That said.. Welders should obey the WPS in every case, so if you wish to change your procedure you should generate a new WPS. 

However, It may not be as simple as just generating another WPS.  Different codes have some restrictions along these lines so you will need to provide us more data to get a usable answer.  Let us know what code you are using a prequalified procedure or if your procedures must be qualified by testing.
Parent - By Arctic 510 (**) Date 12-06-2010 20:52
Agree with Lawrence.

You can use 7018 for the root, as long as your qualified procedure and the code allow it.

What you do not want is welders making the decision to weld it up with whatever they fell is best.  Welders with experience may be able to make good judgement calls on rod selection, but what is important is adherence to the code and WPS.

This would get more comments in a more relevent section of the forum, BTW.

Justin
Up Topic Welding Industry / Metallurgy / First pass