Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Hiring a new welder.
- - By cwf07 (***) Date 12-04-2010 02:42
I am trying to hire a new man to put in my other truck. I got a big bridge beam job starting 6th of Dec. so I wanting to hire another hand on. I had two men come over to test for me to see if they can weld good enough. Before I send them to take the state test. One can weld pretty good. But I don't think he's to responsible. The other can't weld that good but I believe he's alot more responsible. Whats yall's input on something like that.
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 12-04-2010 04:55
A responsible person that can't weld that good, can turn out to be a good, responsible welder.  A irresponsible, good welder is a good welder that's a big head ache and will probably cost you money in the long run.
Parent - By cwf07 (***) Date 12-04-2010 13:45
Responsible is the way I am going.But time plays a factor in it to I am push for it. Around here you can't count on a job unless you got a contract are actually working on it.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-04-2010 07:00
It's your truck and your reputation on the line.

Be patient and get more applicants. 

Get a somebody that can weld and you also feel confident in.

There is alot of talent on the bench these days.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 12-04-2010 18:04
I'd have to agree with Lawrence, see what trickles thru the door. The responsible guy as said could turn out to be a good welder once he gets more stinger time but how much time do you have for him to get that time. Can he pass the test now? I've got a friend that hired on a few new guys, I think he said he went thru 14 applicants or something like that before he found two guys worth their salt. Another welder buddy of mine hired a guy awhile back and had the same problems, anybody that ever saw a stinger in home depot was applying for the job. Finally found him a good hand that has worked out well for him. The irresponsible guy, think of it as your truck, your equipment and business, then think about your insurance premiums and workers comp then throw irresponsible into that and that should clear things up. A nice little rear ending of Mom and her kids in the family truckster with your commercial vehicle would not be nice. Good luck with it, let us know how it turns out. I for one will be watching as I feel my first employee will not be far off.
Parent - - By Blaster (***) Date 12-04-2010 18:18
2 out 14 seems extrodinary... dope, drunks, responsibility and socialibilty problems, financial and personal issues that guys allow to interfere with work, laziness and complacency, appearance and language that embarass the company.... not to mention the part about needing the skills.... darn hard to find good people.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 12-04-2010 18:39
I know that one guy showed up for the weld test in shorts and a tank top with flip flops I do believe.....no gear other than his beach wear! I still laugh when I think about it!
- - By clinkerforge (*) Date 12-04-2010 18:17
What does the state test involve? I would be hesitant to hire any welder who could not pass a plate test in all positions. What is the joint design of the state test?
Parent - - By cwf07 (***) Date 12-05-2010 02:13
1" plate 5" long. 3g&4g
Parent - By Robert48 (**) Date 12-06-2010 02:45
Off topic, but look on Youtube "ringer flip. It is after it was cut in half though.
- By Sberry (***) Date 12-04-2010 18:39
I will agree its all over the place. I know enough people in the biz that when i need someone for a temp hand its fairly easy. I had a bud call me last week about a job, was busy so turned him on to another friend for the job. Its difficult for me anymore to take work at "wage" level, miss a brake job or 2 or service call and work all week to come out even.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Hiring a new welder.