Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Pipe fitters blue book
- - By rcwelding (***) Date 12-09-2010 14:40
Somehow I have lived through my life without the Pipe Fitters Blue Book but I have come to the point where I want to get one now ..LOL 

Is this the book all you guys use and keep talking about..??  Are there some other good hand books you guys like to carry with you..??

http://www.amazon.com/Pipe-Fitters-Blue-Book/dp/0970832125

Thanks 

RC
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 12-09-2010 16:26
That's the one I have plus the little black book. The blue book seems to lay everything out in simpler terms than the black book. Used this one for several different pullin heads lately and like how it's just basic. The black book seems a bit wordy for me. I have used the black book for rolling offsets and other things, take out on fittings and so on. I carry them both though, there is an excellent info between them both and carry them in my truck all the time.

Another book I like is the Pipe Fitter's Math Guide, http://openlibrary.org/books/OL2232012M/Pipe_fitter%27s_math_guide educates me on all that trig and formulas that go with figuring out what the heck I am doing, this also stays in the truck.
Parent - By Root Pass (***) Date 12-10-2010 17:33 Edited 12-10-2010 23:52
I second and HIGHLY recommend the math book Shawn talks about. I goofed off all through school and this book has been a life saver. Best one I have found that explains things in a simple and easy to under stand manner.
All of the books mentioned can be found at thegangebox.com or pipefitter.com and they show up at your door in two days.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 12-09-2010 17:13
Hello RC, I believe these books cover most of the basic offerings for pipefitting. I also included an electricians conduit bending book for those times when you might be doing some pipe bending and wishing to have some information on offsets, bend allowances, and stretch. Good luck and best regards, Allan
Parent - - By weldwade (***) Date 12-09-2010 19:43
What I have found with the black book by Frankland is that in saddle/brnach or 'T' fittings the measurements are to saddle 'IN' the branch into the header. Normally I want to saddle 'ON' the branch to the header. The blue book by Graves gives the saddle on measurements. I am going to look into the book Shawn mensioned in his post, lord knows I can use all the help I can get with the math!
I use both the blue and black books depending on the situation and they are both very valuable. I also use my machinests handbook for several different things and feel it is very valuable as well. I have an old Boilermakers handbook with the cover missing so I dont know the Author but it is a great resource. There is also good info in millwright handbooks.
Parent - By strat (**) Date 12-09-2010 20:57
Hey guys,
The Pipe Fabricators Blue Book by W.V.Graves is also a good one to have
Parent - - By rcwelding (***) Date 12-10-2010 02:18 Edited 12-10-2010 15:22
Thanks Allan...I have the black book by Frankland  but I had never used or seen the blue book...  It seems like I have heard more talk on here about the blue book so I was just curious if the link I posted was of the one you guys were talking about and use the most..

It looks like it is..

RC
Parent - By scrappywelds (***) Date 12-11-2010 04:42
pipefitter.com has them I have both blue books, black book and an old pipefitters math book.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Pipe fitters blue book