Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Do most "welders" have the knowelege.
- - By weldstudent (**) Date 12-13-2010 23:27
So having finally completed my two year welding degree I am off to find a job in the field. I did not do as well as I wanted but I do believe my welds and my welding ability are good enough. There just isn’t enough time in the program to learn everything so I know when I get my first job my education will really begin, not a disrespect to my instructor he is great and has taught me a lot.

What I am wondering is how good are the “common welders”? Do most welders have the ability to weld with more than one process, can they do math ie. add, subtract, multiply, and divide feet inches and a fraction of an inch. Do they know how to do right angle trigonometry, and can they convert from metric to standard? Can the common welder read prints and accurately build something.
I know the answers should vary, but I think this would be good to know.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-14-2010 00:29 Edited 12-14-2010 00:34
It's a mixed bag.

If you can do those things  (multi-process certifiable, close a triangle, shop math, work from prints with minimal supervision).  You will land on your feet.

If you can do those things, you have an advantage over welders your competing against that might have a few years under them, but learned on the job without the benefit of technical training.

Focus on selling yourself on the things you are confident you can accomplish on day one *unsupervised*...  Don't worry about the what other welders can or can't do. And don't advertize yourself above what you honestly think you can do.

Edit:   You have already proven that you can finish something you started.  That in itself is hard currency when it comes to what employers are looking for out of greenhorns.

Mistake free resume, clean pressed starched button down workshirt, dirty leathers.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 12-15-2010 13:20
I agree with Lawrence, your fresh out of school if you can do the math, do multiple process that's great. You'll find that once you get out in the field you'll be learning everyday on every job you do. Then it will depend on the industry you work in. If you work in a shop doing welding repairs on equipment you won't be using the math and such as much as if you were out on a job slinging iron or running pipe.

My Uncle is a welder, been one for 35 years and when I talk with him he just baffle's my mind with what he knows. I've got another welder friend who I call at times to ask questions, not sure how long he's been at it but has a successful business for the last 10 years, real sharp guy and I learn something from him everytime I talk to him. It's like any job though, as a first year mechanic I was as green as they come. Went thru school, they taught me and crammed my brain full of stuff. After 5 years of working on Cat stuff I was pretty darn sharp. After 10 years of working on cars, equipment and big trucks and I felt like there was nothing that was a problem. After 18 years and 4 years at a Cadillac dealer troubleshooting electrical on those and I was nearly bullet proof, sort of speak. Now with the welding......I'm an idiot....sort of speak!!

As far as abilities, I know a guy who is a teacher, can weld tig and mig like nobody's business, not very good with a stick though. He spent his time in a shop doing, tig and mig. I hear about guys that are doing pipe who can make a 6010 work like Merlin's wand, but could not weld tig if their life depended on it. Another teacher spent his time doing gas pipe, he can weld it and taught me all I know. He is very knowledgable in tig and mig and can weld it but will admit he has not done it enough to be considered great. In my mind it does not make them less of a welder, they are still welders. It's like a guy who spends his whole life working on Caterpillar equipment and has no clue what is wrong with his wife's Ford, GM car. He's still a mechanic and excellent in his field, just does not know the systems because he does not work on them everyday.

As far as the math goes, I cheat. I've got the blue book, black book and a pipefitters math book and of course a calculator. Off the top of my head I can add, subtract, divide, multiply, convert fractions to decimals and decimals to fractions of a foot and inch. I can do the pythagorean theorem off the top of my head and some other crazy stuff I never imagined I could do at 17. What I do requires this just about everyday so it's like a habit, it's just blazed in a few brain cells and is readily available. I do know a few guys however that don't really have to know this. Things are set up for them, they tack it and then weld it, squeeze the trigger or whatever. Others have jigs, they throw the material in a jig, then tig away. They don't have to figure out the how's or the why's just put the pre cut pieces in place and go for it. It's their job, they are not required to do the other, just weld it. I've had a helper a few times while building stairs and been babbling away with numbers figuring the rise, run and stringer length and have the guy say, "what the h_ll did you just say" as the numbers spilled out of my mouth. A guy I knew built stairs in a shop environment, large shop. He didn't know how they got the numbers, he read off the paper at what length to cut the material and put it together like the picture showed.

Hope this helps out, this is just what I've noticed and experienced in my time doing this. It may also depend on the welder as a person. Those who want to learn, get better, do all types of welding and those who just want to get by until friday gets here so they can cash their check and hit the bar. Good luck out there and congrats on the graduation!!

Shawn
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 12-15-2010 17:31
The welding industry runs the gament man.  You've got everything from trigger pullers to full blown Welding Engineers with doctorates degree's that can weld with multiple processes.  Now you do the math and that's what you will find in the good ol welding industry of today.  They've got something out there for every kind of person that know's a bit about welding.  Just remember that Knowledge is power and the more knowledge and experience you have, the further you will go and the more money you will make.  Good luck to ya and congrats on the 2 year welding degree.  It will pay off and put you ahead of people that don't have it.
Parent - - By jsdwelder (***) Date 12-15-2010 21:12
Kix is right on. Almost every week I meet someone who is a welder and I think to myself...they pay you to weld???  really?? really?? And then I"ll meet someone who baffles me with their knowledge of the trade. There are some people in this business who are just the ultimate craftsmen. That is where I see the country hurting now is most of those guys are approaching retirement age and it just isn't being passed down like years past.
Parent - - By weaver (***) Date 12-16-2010 02:17
If a welder cannot mig,tig and stick weld very well. Then it's time to switch careers. I was in a conversation a few weeks ago about this very thing. (again) The forman couldn't believe that I can weld high pressure pipe, tig weld alunimum , and mig weld. "I said can't everyone". His reply was no. Any way props to you for getting welding education and welcome to our trade. :)
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 12-30-2010 08:01
HMMMMMMMMMMM really i hdid pretty damn good just running stick. Yes i can mig no i cant tig but was still making over 100k a yr til i got sick and had to sell most eveyrthing so i beg to differ with your opinion. Please understand i am not arguing with you just disagreeing is all. I mean this post with the upmost respect.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 12-31-2010 23:05
Shad   a really solid arm on the stinger hand is worth more then it's weight in plutonium.....that is why it has served you so well.   BTW you can tig you just never really tried to do it.  If you can run a lo-hy 6-12 and run 308's....you can easily tig weld you just have to put the beer down in your other hand and pick up a filler rod.   LOL
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 01-02-2011 19:19
lol then i would have to make a beer holder on the back of the truck and or make 1 to go in a jack stand lol
Parent - - By stanantonio Date 01-11-2011 16:13
I believe Weaver is right. So to speak if you want to stay off the unemployment line. A welder needs to be diversified. I consider my self a pipeline welder but if the works not there I wont be sitting at home I gaurantee ya.  I will be doing mirror Tig welds on a power house or go back to running a LN 25. Or what ever it takes. I gained my proficency where ever I could. Its nice to make 100k + for a year or two pipelining when times are good. I like to make 100k plus every year. So I weld where ever I can. I see way to many trailerpark rich welders that think just cause they made an easy 80k one year welding stick and then end up selling everything or giving it back to the bank the next year. Welders need to learn to put some of the pork fatt in the mason jar when riding high on the hog. Cause not every year is a banner year.
Parent - - By weaver (***) Date 01-12-2011 00:38
hey stan, where are you these days?
Parent - By stanantonio Date 01-12-2011 03:05
Hey Shannon, just been throwing beads in south Tx.  So, when are you moving back to Michigan?  Call me sometime.  580-761-1877
Parent - By Smokin_1 (**) Date 01-01-2011 12:53
they have apps for that stuff :p happy new year
- - By Sberry (***) Date 12-16-2010 02:14
I am not real sophisticated, it would take me a bit to come up to speed with complex fabrication, as cummins said, I just dont need it most of the time. I have a ton of experience and seen the things I do or am faced with done 3 ways.  I remember going in to some oilfield, watched some of the roughneck types working on pumping units, was running a crane. I told guy I was working for, those guys are hurting us, we dont need them. I ask, how come you do this that way? Answer,, well,,  we always done it like that,, ha I could tell they never read the instruction manual, they understand how it work under operation but not to disassemble itself. When I start to do it the operator/pumper says,,, well thats different and a lot easier than we always done it, ha.
   My claim to fame isnt brains, I admire some of these guys with techincal ability, but what I am proffecient at is figuring the easiest was and even easier the second time. Park the crane right and I can get it in one move where it takes the next guy 2, really good with simple tools, hammer, pry bar, torch, rigging. Good instinct and a mind designed for that type of nwork.
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 12-17-2010 01:59
You will find many people who call themselves a "welder", from a 19 year old just learned to mig six months ago in a factory to a guy twenty years on the job in a boiler shop who never did anything but run a subarc or burn SMAW.  If you can weld reasonably well multiprocess and got the basics of layout and fitting.  Then as far as I am concerned, you can write your own ticket in the welding trade.  The most important part for you is to saddle up with the vets where ever you end up and watch and listen.  You will have the opportunity to learn things you will get to use on the next rung of the ladder.  That experience you get, how fast you learn, how fast you progress in your skills is entirely up to you...your will and your patience.  I do not think you could say the first job you hire on will be your job for the next 20 yrs.....it might but I doubt it.  You will learn what you can and land a better opportunity, and you will probably repeat that process many times before you find that job that tempts you to hang on after you have learned all you can from it.  No matter what be a DRY SPONGE and take whatever use full techniques you can from everyone around you, apply them and move on.

My $.02
Tommy
- - By joe pirie (***) Date 12-31-2010 16:28
I think that just about anyone can learn to weld. But to be a top of the line
welder is a gift from the man above. i liken it to playing guitar anyone can learn to strum
but only a handful can truly master the instrument no matter how hard they practice they'll
never be a jimi hendrix or such. I always considered a true welder as one who could weld ,
with any process to xray quality . There are so many different roads to take in this industry
it would be practically impossible for one individual to truly be a master at them all. most pipeliners
can easily make 100,000 a year he welds down hill doesnt have to fit nothing, trig whats that a new drink
can he go into an aerospace shop and tig stainless to mil specs do fitup to  thousandths of an inch do
trig calculations that would make your head spin and only get paid 40,000 probably not but i know ive met
a few hands that can do that. Some shops the hand has to layout , fitup , weld, other shops a welder just welds
nothing else. Go out work hard everyday and watch listen and learn you will learn something new every day.
There was an old joke i've heard many times what do you say to someone with an IQ of 30?  answer  NICE WELD
I feel there is a misconception by joe public that people become welders cause they were to dumb to go to college
Truth is a true craftsman does'nt just go to college for 4 years he goe's to school everyday.Lawrence put it best
don't worry about what other welders know worry about what you don't. You have picked a great proffession
to get into the avg age of a welder in the usa is 54 yrs old and there are not enough youngsters to replace those
retiring. So it's up to you Ironworker,steamfitter,boilermaker,pipeliner,aerospace,automotive . welcome to the
real school your education starts now go get em  Joe
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 12-31-2010 23:00
Joe that was just eloquent and very well put!!
Parent - By weldstudent (**) Date 12-31-2010 23:16
very well put indeed, just hope i can make enough to live on.
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 01-01-2011 00:39
i agree with Joe anyone can learn but to truly be great comes from the man above. I'm about to make a move to another job it maybe worse or could be better but it will be a learning experience no matter what
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 01-01-2011 04:45
I never had the eyesight or coordination to be a golden arm, but learning what NOT to do has helped Me a lot over the years.
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 01-03-2011 02:53 Edited 01-03-2011 02:56
For my 2 cents Dave nailed it pretty good. Never had the dead steady hands to be a great (or even superior) welder but I learned a lot of do and don't and what makes things tick (or not). Never cared to take pictures (close up) of my welds but the finished products sometimes shined.

All in all unless you are going to do mass production (repetitive) welding you need a good all around knowledge of more than making a good looking weld.

I had a young man working for (as a welder) and he struggled a lot with hand & eye coordination. Real good hard working hand that would bust his hinny all day long. I got him some good Inspection training and he took the ball and ran with it. When he quit he had a job paying a little more with lots of advancement. Last time I he came by to visit he was running his own crew.

It's out there for those that want it.
Parent - By Chris2626 (***) Date 01-08-2011 01:22
very well said.... I'm puting my 2 weeks in at a dead end job Tuesday yeah it isn't to bright and it's a gamble but it is something I must do this job has been really stressing me but it is time to get out and do something different I'm in a high production shop but I lack blueprint reading and fitting big time so that is what I'm going after and different welding processes as well.
Parent - - By mike wiebe 3 (*) Date 01-01-2011 03:57
VERY well said!!
Parent - - By Sberry (***) Date 01-01-2011 20:16
I am passable but get really good in short order with some repetition. The avg guy can get good at any given thing given he does it long enough, some talent helps. People somehow think I "love this work" but they mistake that for having some talent and being a trade I just happen to be good at. Its a production issue for me really, I like what it can do for me which could include earn a paycheck if needed.
  I am a farmer these days, would be lost without a strong background in shop, fabrication. Even though I farm my work more resembles general contractor with lot of equipment, shop. Being a welder gives me a huge benefit over competitors, can do stuff they find hard to cope with. Big solution to a lot of problems.
Parent - By Stringer (***) Date 01-11-2011 01:25
I think trigonometry not so much. But everything else, you'll use it if you got it. Never mind what categories people feel they need to put you in. Knowledge is power. Do you want tools in your head that will lead to steady demand for your work or do you want to be the first let go when things slow down? This is simple stuff, folks. Learn all you can or get left behind.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Do most "welders" have the knowelege.