Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / pipe certs???
- - By Zane Cook (*) Date 12-20-2010 03:45
Is there any certs. you can get that will increase a fella's chance to get a test for a pipeline company? Sorry if this is a stupid question but i heard something once about an AWS cert. for pressure pipe or something??? Thanks for any help
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-20-2010 04:02
Well Zane,

Having already passed a piping qualification test may help get you the opportunity to take an employers' test.  It is hard to tell.  Various piping contractors will look at many things: You for one, your gear & rig, past employment record, etc.

AWS doesn't have a code for pressure piping.  But, you can get an AWS/CWI to test you to API 1104 or ASME codes for pressure piping.  AWS does have some pipe exams in D1.1 but it is not the same as those in the pressure piping codes as it is mainly designed to cover structural work.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 12-21-2010 15:23
You opened the can of worms with that question, "certs". A pipeline company will test you before they hire you and if you passed before and fail that day on their test then your "certs" don't mean dookie.

If your looking for something to dress up a resume and your going up against guys who do not have proof that at one point in their life they actually did an API test and passed then getting your "certs" is good. For me personally if I am hiring, and I have a guys resume who says he can weld with no indication of prior certs and then another fella who says he has passed a test previously with proof then for me I'd be more likely to give the guy with papers a test over the guy with nothing. In my eyes it shows the guy or gal had the moxy to pass it once and must have a basic understanding of what needs to happen. I guess I need to clarify a bit, two guys that are green is my comparison with little job experience.

I also suppose it depends on where you are in the country. Around here, well, I talk to guys that tell me about doing xxx feet of gas pipe for some contractor on a job and certification? Weld procedures?? Hahahaha, haha....ha..... The work I do is with local gas companies mostly. I'm required to give them my current wps, test results and drug test myself and all of this is filed with the regulatory authority. Some contractors I've done work for I personally think they have no flippin clue. Luckily I keep my nose buried in here learning from these guys, talking to the lab and so forth. Now, from talking with my Uncle in New York if you stick two piece's of paper together with a piece of chewing gum your gonna need wps, tests, x-ray and everything else!

What I've learned so far about certs is the opinions on them are like buttholes, everybody has got one and they range from the highest high to the lowest low. Some guys don't think they are worth an ounce of spit, others will say they are. It depends on what you want, do you want that on your resume to show you have at least passed it once before or not? Now, if you go test for a company, say you come to work for me. I send you to the lab, spend a butt load of cash for your test, you pass and you are now qualified to my companies procedures. If one day you wake up and come in to work and say "hey Shawn go screw yourself". From my understanding you are no longer "certified". You don't carry them like a hat is what I'm trying to say. If you go across the street and apply for a pipe welding job and it's API, you tell them you worked at the buttheads across the street and were certified with him. They are gonna test you just as I did because you are gonna have to qualify to their procedures. Again, from my understanding that is because their procedures might not be the same as mine. Even if they were the same, me, I'd still test you. You may have been unemployed for the last 8, 9 12 months and have not picked up a stinger in that time.

As far as the AWS and pipe, I think, guys on here correct me or add more if I'm wrong in some way. I believe when you do a 3g or 4g AWS structural test it qualifies you to weld on pipe over 24"(??) in a structural pipe kind of way. I was told pipe over that size is nearly flat anyhow, actually I think Cactus and some guys had a debate in another topic about this awhile ago. But doing those tests in AWS will not qualify you to weld API.

Well, hope this makes it a little more clear, about like mud right? LoL!
Parent - By jsdwelder (***) Date 12-27-2010 17:13
Shawn I think your post was quite clear. Right on
- - By randytay Date 01-15-2011 17:01
Shawn,
I thought your post was mostly correct. Yes even if you hold a current pipe welding certification from one employer or even the AWS a new employer probably will require that you retest for them for employment. However a AWS welding cert that has been updated correctly every 6 months should be acceptable to employers and contractors. Also you are backwards on the pipe verses structural test. If you have a current 6G certification as described in the D1.1, per AMSE Section IX you are certified in pipe and for structural steel welding on plate and beams up to 1/2" thickness. Hope this helps the poster.
Randy
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-15-2011 17:17
" should be acceptable to employers and contractors"

Not at all...  There is nothing in the code.. Either AWS or ASME that says an engineer "should" accept external welder performance qualifications... They have the lattitude to elect to do so, but thats all.

D1.1 pipe certs are not automatically transferrable to ASME Section 9 period.

Randy.. If you can provide chapter and verse from D1 or Section IX  I'll stand corrected.
- - By joe pirie (***) Date 01-15-2011 17:58
I have a UA 21 pipe test given thru the steamfitters union
that is an asme sect 1X test. it says on the bottom of the cert
that it qualifies to weld groove and fillet welds under AWS
i haven't taken the time to see if that information is correct
Joe
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-15-2011 18:03
Good point Joe

It for sure is possible to do a D1/Sec IX  PQR..  But it would have to be intentional, with careful attention paid during development of the procedure to be sure that the essencial vairables of both codes were addressed.. It's certainly not automatic.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-17-2011 05:54
I agree with Larry on this issue because nowhere does it state in any of the codes that the employers must be obligated to, or "must" accept the previous certs as an alternative to testing... It can be used as an option, and it is important to note, that by choosing the option to indeed accept the previous cert as an equivalent as being certified to the present contractor instead of performance testing and then certifying to the present contractor/employer, the contractor should seek agreement from the EOR (Engineer Of Record) beforehand in order to protect themselves from any future potential liability issues that may or may not pop up afterwards... It is most definitely NOT automatic or to be considered a "must" to use. ;)

Now, there are certain industry agreements with certain contractors who accept welder certs from other contractors who also have signed on to one of these agreements such as the common arc certification program, and a similar type of system used by the pipe fitters that Joe mentioned previously, but these agreements do not mean that these welder certs must be honored by another contractor outside of these specific agreements who did not sign on to them or have anything at all to do with any of the union work involved...

Remember that the Engineer Of Record is the one who more than likely has the final say on this type of issue, so it's best to run it by them if all of the dots connect just as Larry previously mentioned - CAPECHE? ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
- By Zane Cook (*) Date 02-05-2011 17:23
Thanks for all the help. I was trying to increase my chances of getting a test. I've done a lot of pipe work but most of it in a shop and most pipeline co. Don't care about anything but pipeline experience.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / pipe certs???