Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.1 welding shall be continuous around corners
- - By dporter185 Date 12-23-2010 22:15
We recently had welds rejected by a third party inspector for starting and stopping fillet welds at the corners of a “T” joint on a tubular steel frame. The design drawings called ¼” fillet weld all around. The inspector referenced figure 3.6 in the 2008 AWS D1.1 manual. This figure has a note listing welds to be carried continuously around corners. My issue is the figure is labeled CJP and references section 3.13.4 that is under CJP Groove Weld Requirements. There is a separate section 3.9.2 that details fillet welds for tubular connections. We can not find any notes referencing starts and stops in the corner. It is my opinion that this only applies to CJP joints. Section 2.8.3 states fillet weld terminations may extend to the end or sides of parts. Does anyone know if D1.1 has any other sections covering welds ending at the corner of a plate or joint?
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-23-2010 23:10
dporter,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!  Glad you joined us.

As to your inquiry, I would note a couple of items:
1) Clause 3.13.4 clearly states it is "Details for CJP GROOVE welds welded from one side without backing in tubular T-, Y-, and K-connections..."  This section is for TKY connections with "GROOVE" welds.
2) If your approved prints do not call out 'GROOVE' welds and list them as 'CJP' and are used in a TYK connection then this section and Fig do not apply.
3) If your approved prints call out 'FILLET' welds with no reference to 'CJP' then Clause 3.9.2 applies with Figure 3.2 and possibly 3.11 if it is a skewed T-joint.

Other sections covering fillet welds: Clause 2 Part A & D (not B which is where 2.8.3 is) 2.1-2.3, & 2.19-2.26 especially 2.2.5.2, 2.3.2, 2.3.3, & 2.23.1 would be good places to check out.

The main issue I see in your example is to rather it is a CJP Groove Weld OR a Fillet Weld.  You can't use one for the other.  The drawings will determine which it is and that will determine which part of the Code is to be used to complete the inspection.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-26-2010 16:44
Hello Brent;

Your second bullet has me confused. Are you saying that a weld specified as CJP is not a groove weld?

I hope I am simply misinterpreting your sentence.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-26-2010 17:59
Al,  I probably should have worded that different, BUT, no, that is not what I am saying.

My comment was as to rather or not his weld applied to that exact clause and sub clause of D1.1.  The issue being raised was rather his fillet welds had to conform to a particular Figure in Clause 3. 

My 2nd point (or bullet) was that IF his weld was NOT a CJP, nor a Groove Weld, nor a TKY joint, THEN it was not covered by the Figure being referenced. 

A couple of those 'IF's' he did not give us info on, that is why I stated it as an IF/THEN statement.  And I probably didn't word it real clear.

I am headed out on some more adventures with my wife on our Christmas vacation over in Sedona.  I'll take a better look at it later and see if I can edit it to make it more clear.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By fschweighardt (***) Date 12-24-2010 03:56
Was it same size on same size box tube?
- By 99205 (***) Date 12-26-2010 21:07
I'm referencing D 1.1 (2010) so I'm not sure if this is in the same spot in 2008.  Since you mentioned that this weld is located on a "frame" there may be cyclic forces involved.  If that is true your TPI may also be referencing 2.17.6.  "...fillet welds shall be returned around the side or end for a distance not less than 2 times the nominal weld size."
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.1 welding shall be continuous around corners