Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / In-Line Aluminum cleaner pad
- - By Zeek (**) Date 12-23-2010 15:42
Can anyone recommend a good in-line aluminum wire cleaner pads for wire feed systems?  We are using an automatic tig process with a wire feeder and I was hoping to implement some kind of pad before the wire enters the liner.  Some people have recommended using an lint free cloth soaked with alcohol and using a clothes pin to attach it to the wire. While this might work, I was looking for someone off the shelf that could be better controlled.  Any ideas?
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 12-23-2010 22:23
How about a virgin (unused) scotch brite pad cut and wrapped to accommodate the application.

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By 522029 (***) Date 12-24-2010 02:44
Weld Aide(spelling?) pads.

Griff
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 12-24-2010 02:48
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-24-2010 03:42
I use these on steel MIG, but is that compound OK for aluminum TIG?
Parent - - By 522029 (***) Date 12-24-2010 23:51 Edited 12-24-2010 23:54
One of the pads is dry for cleaning (the Red one if I remember correctly) and the gray one is lubricated.

Griff

P.S.

"Lube-MaticĀ® Wire KleenerĀ® Pads - Red Kleener Pads are for all wires all the time. Last chance to clean wire and reduce burnback 50%.
#007061 6 Pack"

Griff
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-25-2010 02:33
I didn't know about the red ones, might be a good idea for in the spool gun.
Parent - By 522029 (***) Date 12-26-2010 12:15
Yep.  Red to clean, gray to lube if necessary.

Griff
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-25-2010 16:13
Great info.  Thanks.  I wonder how the price compares to using the Scotch Brite and making my own?  I'll have to check it out.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By 522029 (***) Date 12-26-2010 12:14
Trusting a bad memory, I believe these pads come 5 to a bag at about $10.00 per bag.

Griff
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 12-26-2010 19:50
That product is designed for primarily for steels and NOT Aluminum... Weld-Aid's "York Products division" does produce an anti-spatter spray and gel compound for both ferrous and non-ferrous metals, but they do not produce a pad specifically for Aluminum. Buyer Beware... ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By 522029 (***) Date 12-28-2010 00:19
HMMMMM?

Griff
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-24-2010 14:23
I have used Henry's suggestion for years.  I attach a piece of Scotch Brite pad by folding it over the wire, steel or alum, and using a paperclip to hold it there.  When the wire runs out I fold it over the other way on a new roll and start again.  After the 2nd use I get a new one.  They only need to be small pieces and with just a little tension from the paperclip they keep dust and other foreign matter out of the drive rolls and liner.

I like not using the lubricant to possibly contaminate other wires that may have an issue with it.  My liners last very well until a kink makes me change them.  In a small general fab shop there will always be something run over them, dropped on them, a twist that gets pulled on instead of untangled, or enough heat that they get a kink at the end coming out of the machine or at the gun.

I do like the newer Lincoln machines with a down angle as the lead comes out of the machine.  Less problems at that end.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By flamin (**) Date 12-25-2010 17:41
In regard to using scotch brite to clean aluminum wire, I know there are many grades that use an aluminum oxide abrasive, wouldn't that be defeating the purpose to some degree? Would it be more beneficial to use a scotch brite pad with silicone carbide instead of aluminum oxide?

Jason
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 12-26-2010 01:36 Edited 12-26-2010 19:50
That is why one normally reads the ingredients, and directions parts usually found somewhere in or outside on the container of the product before using it... Bada-bing!!! ;) ;) ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By Zeek (**) Date 01-04-2011 13:27
I'm somewhat concerned that using any scotch brite pad (AL oxide or other) would leave traces of abrasive material on the wire and get deposited into the weld puddle.  Do you only use a scotch brite pad, with no subsequent alcohol wiping afterwards?
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-05-2011 00:00
Well, I happen to agree with you on that point... 3M/Scotchbrite used to make an Alumina zirconium (I don't know if they still do) pad which could easily be shaped to form a wire guide/cleaner specifically left untreated for use on Aluminum GMAW wire in order to remove any "excess" (key word to consider because no wire comes perfectly clean from a vacuum environment) surface contamination that is on the wire before it even reaches the drive rolls and then into the liner which could also be potential locations where the surface of the wire may become contaminated as well...

If you're worried about any residual aluminum oxide contamination from the pads themselves, then use the silicon carbide pads instead, but there's only a very slight possibility that only a very tiny, slight amount of residual aluminum oxide (Brown in color) or silicon carbide (Gray in color) may even re-contaminate the surface once the initial surface contamination is removed... The best, and the cheapest as well as easiest to find non-woven abrasive pads are the Aluminum silicate pads (Green in color) and I recommend these to use as opposed to either the first 2 mentioned previously. ;) So I don't recommend Brown (Aluminum oxide), and would only tolerate Gray (Silicon carbide) if the application is not critical... Green (Alumina silicate) is the way to go if you want to completely eliminate the possibility of even the slightest contamination postweld IMHO. ;)

To use alcohol to "treat" the pad therefore, introducing an agent and, increasing the possibility of residual contamination to occur... This potential for contamination could only occur if the pads were pretreated whereby whichever treatment used would become the method for any residual/scraped off contamination to "stick" on to the surface of the wire once again as it proceeds through the drive rolls and further via the liner/conduit, through the contact tip where once the arc has been established, such a minute amount of aluminum oxide will hopefully become completely vaporized before it ever reaches the weld pool or becomes part of the method of transfer of molten Aluminum filler metal. ;)

However, if you're still skeptical, then use the Alumina Silicate (Green in color) Non-woven hand pads that I previously recommended instead because the moral of the story here is that one must read the ingredients prior to using them in order to "cook" the best possible meal - so to speak! ;) The same applies to welding as well. ;)

Anywho, here are some commercially available products that are specifically for use on Aluminum wire:

http://weldingdirect.com/migwiclpadno.html

http://www.weldmark.com/public/products/pdf/wl-ic42000.pdf

http://www.fastenal.com/catalog_pages/2009/11-11.pdf

Remember to always order the "Untreated" pads for use with Aluminum wire -CAPECHE??? :) :) :)

And if you really want to save some pennies, then buy the "Green" (Alumina Silicate) Scotchbrite, or Merit non-woven abrasive pads at you local hardware or "wallyworld" store, and then use one of those old style bulk paper clips to hold the pads in place as the wire glides through the custom cut pad/wire cleaner. ;)

Well, that's about it for me for now... So "adios amigo" and I hope this clarifies things a bit and points you towards the right direction as to where you want to go with this. ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By Zeek (**) Date 01-05-2011 15:04
Thanks for the info.  I will certainly try the untreated clip-on pad.  I would like to try to alumina silicate pads, but I don't see green alumina silicate pads.  It looks like scotchbrite makes alumina silicate pads, but they an off-white color.  Are these the pads you are referring to?

Thanks
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-05-2011 23:17
Nope! It's the same pads you see sold in any supermarket. ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / In-Line Aluminum cleaner pad