Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Gloves with built in leather arm pad
1 2 Previous Next  
- - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 12-29-2010 19:45
I bought a pair of these today in Houston. $25.00 at the Welding supply. THEY ARE BAD AS* !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Worth EVERY PENNY !!

http://www.caimangloves.com/gloves/kontour-welding-gloves/1878-21q-deerskin-welders
Parent - - By TRC (***) Date 12-29-2010 22:39
Hey Cactus how are they cut, I'm just a little smaller than Lurch, I mean Shad. I need everything in tall- 2X or bigger. Are they cut big, the site says one size. ??????

PS why are you buying these everybody knows with all the irons you got in the fire you shur aint weldin.   :) Ted
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 12-29-2010 22:50 Edited 12-29-2010 22:54
They fit like a Tillman 750L. I wear a 750M. They are just a touch, to big for me but heat will shrink'em. I ain't gonna weld with'em, I am just getting decorations for my backseat !
Parent - - By TRC (***) Date 12-29-2010 23:51 Edited 12-30-2010 00:46
I'm gonna order a pair in the morning just as soon as I get done jerkin yellow perch out if the Susquehanna River.
Parent - - By texwelder (***) Date 12-30-2010 01:26
might take them with you depends on how big them perch are LOL
Parent - By TRC (***) Date 12-30-2010 12:54
Those perch are so big that...... oh, never mind this ain't Texas. Really LOL! Ted
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-30-2010 03:32
He might lean on something someone else welded...
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 12-30-2010 17:27
Hey , things like that DO happen you know !
Parent - - By up-ten (***) Date 12-29-2010 22:41
Well those are different!  But what is it that you like about them so much?
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 12-29-2010 22:53
They fit great and the armpad sure will save on the blisters. They are made of Deer Skin and they are super comfortable
Parent - - By texwelder (***) Date 12-30-2010 00:44
Those are awesome i'll see if brazos valley welding supply here in bryan can get some of those bad boys for me
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 12-30-2010 00:45
Industrial Welding Supply in Houston sells them for 25 per pair
Parent - - By texwelder (***) Date 12-30-2010 01:25
Thats seems cheap considering the cost of a gallon of gas or milk for that matter these days
Parent - By RUSSELL (**) Date 12-30-2010 05:45
They are great.Gloves , sleeves,& armpad all in 1.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 12-30-2010 14:32
Look like some cool gloves. Might have to try a pair, anybody want to buy a new right handed Caiman 21" deerskin glove? Go thru lefties like my kids thru food but rarely need a right handed glove.
Parent - By Skaggydog (**) Date 12-30-2010 17:26
I use to know a guy that bought gloves 2 pairs at a time. When he got home he'd be shocked to find that he had 3 lefts and only 1 right!
Parent - By Chris2626 (***) Date 12-30-2010 18:29
those are a pretty cool i'm curious though how well they hold up
Parent - By FixaLinc (****) Date 12-30-2010 19:56
What I need for hard facing my jacket sleeves are getting holes again!
Parent - By NWPAwelder (**) Date 12-31-2010 15:59
Just checked these bad boys out online and the MSRP is $36.99. I will have to check my LWS to see how well they can do on the price. Look like they are pretty comfortable. I know I prefer the Black Stallion 850L over the Tillmans. These definitely got them both beat if they hold up and are comfortable.
Parent - - By rcwelding (***) Date 01-05-2011 00:22
I just saw these guys on line if someone cant find a vendor to sell them to you... Its a little cheaper than what they list for elsewhere..

http://www.gloves-online.com/proddetail.php?prod=WK-1878

RC
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 01-05-2011 02:36 Edited 01-05-2011 04:34
Cheapest I have found was 26 per pair. I am going to call these people and see what they will sell them for if I buy a dozen
Parent - - By HOTRODWELDER5 (*) Date 02-02-2011 14:57
Is there any place around here selling those glove Cactus?
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 02-02-2011 15:39
There is a Welding Supply in Garland selling them. Any LWS should be able to get them
Parent - - By TRC (***) Date 01-07-2011 00:50
Got my Caimans today. They are kick ass but to small. The pad goes up to the elbow as advertised but with a 36" sleeve it's about two to three inches to short. Appear to be high quality. Glove portion is VERY heavily insulated to the point that it's hard to move fingers. They should be nice here in Pa because it has been cool outside, as low as 15. Suspect they will sell right or left hand only at some point. They might be to heavy to use when it's really hot and humid out. Ted
Parent - - By TRC (***) Date 01-07-2011 20:56
Used them today. There's one little problem they over looked. There is a nice little area of meshed leather at the bottom of the wrist where the thumb starts. It goes toward the elbow and is about 2"X 3". Guess where the sparks go! Right inside against my meat!  Most of the stiffness from the insulation smoothed out by lunch time. Other than getting burnt their great! Ted
Parent - By FixaLinc (****) Date 01-07-2011 21:59
That doesn't sound worth a flip or like I want any now lol.  Found a local saddle shop to sew new sleeves into my Tillman jacket.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 02-02-2011 12:27
I noticed that to Ted, I have not welded with mine but figure the mesh on my left hand will be down mostly. But if I used the right handed glove(stinger side) I could see burning the mother loving poop out of yourself. That mesh faces upwards when rolling under a pipe welding so looks like not such a good place to vent, less a vent more an entrance!
Parent - - By michaelb (**) Date 01-08-2011 19:17
watch the vent holes around the wrist. little tender sometimes but i agree  bad @$$.  save the carhartt sweatshirt sleves from looking like swiss cheese and not a lot of clothes to stay warm
Parent - - By JeremyW83 (***) Date 01-09-2011 20:05
My LWS has these listed at 16.99.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 01-09-2011 22:50
Jeremy who is your LWS?   I would like some of these to try mainly for my right arm.
Parent - By JeremyW83 (***) Date 01-09-2011 23:12
Garland Welding Supply in Rockwall had a catalouge with em on the cover.  I dont think they are planning on carrying them at this time.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 02-02-2011 12:23
Tommy, did you say you wanted ONLY a right handed glove like this????

I just bought a pair yesterday, these gloves are excellent! All I plan on using is the lefty and the right will join it's brothers behind the seat in my rig. Was actually thinking about posting the right handed glove on here for sale, plus shipping. Gonna put the lefty to the test tomorrow on some pipe, see how that pad works out.

Shawn
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 02-03-2011 00:33
Hey Shawn

Pm me your price + shipping for that Right Glove to 72012.   I will try to buy it from ya but truck repairs have seriously ate my lunch lately.  I cannot even afford beer right now!!!  It is a damm tragedy of my economy right now...I have been saving large wine bottles for future brewing operations.  BTW I found the sweetest looking 1 TON, an 83 chevy with a perfect body/paint and recent sandblast and paint on the frame, rear end etc  FOR CHEAP!!!!  That is one of the best looking bodies Chevy ever made inmho.  Hoping I get a few more jobs in soon so I can go get it, it's LWB but I don't care.  I got the Hobart in the back of the F150...it is a low rider now!!  I wonder how many miles I can put on it on these rough Arkansas roads before it breaks in half?!?!
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 02-03-2011 00:51
Hey Tommy, I was thinking around $11 for the glove, tax and all I paid $29.84. I'll have to check at the post office and see what I can cram the glove into, maybe one of the tiny flat rate boxes for $5 or something.

Those ol' square body cheb's were pretty nice. I'd still like a 68' or so shortbed, slammed to the ground with a 383 or something. Had a buddy with an all white, no chrome one like that with the bed cover, slick looking truck.

Don't under estimate the F150. Back home we hauled junk for lazy people, cleaned out garages, basements and all manner of things, hauled old cars. We had a 77' F100 I believe, 1/2 ton. We would go to the scrap yard and buy an extra set of springs, come back to the house and break out the torches and customize leaf springs and stack away with new U bolts. We hauled very heavy on that thing ALL the time, 3000lbs, I kid you not!! Never ever did anything to the axle, my Mom drove that sucker for years. I know we hauled junk for about 2-1/2 years with the same truck, never even did wheel bearings!! I always figured the axle would just split right in half one day! Never did. That ol' Ford will be alright! I think that truck we had with the redneck spring job had 13 or 14 springs per side!! It took a heck of a lot to flatten that truck out! Roughly 3000lbs over the axle!!! It's been almost 20 years but seems like we would go get gravel for my Grandpa's driveway and just have them pour it on and watch the springs. Seems like we have had 3800lbs on it "rigged" out. It would be a low rider then!

Shawn
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 02-03-2011 01:24
SOLD!!!   I will PM my address and you PM me where to send a cashiers check or paypal.  I might by other righties to sell to the kids at the other shop....they curl the fingers first day!!  

I got nothing against Old Fords (except for 360m,400m THEY SUCK).  I am a tried and true Ford guy really. This one is first gen fuel injected 302 auto...with the vacuum operated dual tank setup.  Need I say more...you can imagine what I have been fixing since the previous owner fancied himself a mechanic/electrician.  It is not too bad I bought the whole truck for $200 cause he could not make it run....Double row timing chains, the "correct" computer and a little tlc and it ALMOST smokes the tires.  BTW I could not fathom the plastic cam gear and no tensioner...REALLY??? The two toughest and absolutely BULLETPROOF trucks I ever owned were a LWB 300 4 speed granny F150 and a Full size Bronco, same setup.   If I get a 1 ton gas Ford I will probably rip out the 460/490 and put in a little old fresh 300 and 4 speed granny....better gas mileage almost as good torque and a lot simpler maintenance.  I am not a huge chevy fan but anything pre 1995 with a 350 is alright as long as it does not have a 8.5 rear end, course no 1 ton would.  I want a diesel but a good one is out of my reach at the moment...plus I never worked on any diesels except for a 4 cyl deutch...I do not know beans about them.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 02-03-2011 02:36
Tommy,
Please send me a Cashiers Check for $500.00. I will you send all Right Handed Gloves I get for the next year, to your address.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 02-04-2011 04:34
Cactus I am sure that would be a bargain with what you burn up...well maybe....you do more whip cracking the rod burning these days eh>?
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 02-04-2011 14:06
I don't burn up Gloves ! I loose them. Usually just one.
Parent - - By weldstudent (**) Date 02-02-2011 18:49
Well all I called the manufacturer of these gloves (1-888-774-6291) and spoke to the sales manager Paul. The gloves are made in CHINA. The deer hide is from America but the bottom line is that the gloves are Chinese. Paul informed me that the company would never move to America. Please support the great USA and buy 100 % American made.

Levi
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 02-02-2011 19:10
So, what gloves do you wear ?
Parent - - By weldstudent (**) Date 02-03-2011 00:23
I wear the Anchor 20-GC. Made in the USA. was not disrespecting you for buying the gloves, but if i have a choice i will buy American before Chineese.

Levi
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 02-03-2011 00:25
I understand the concept. I prefer a good fit and function. The gloves I have seen, that are 100% USA and are readily availible, lack both of these.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 02-02-2011 19:49
I think we went down this road before. Seems like there are only one pair of Tillmans made in the USA, seems like I emailed them awhile ago and asked and can't for the life of me remember which ones. Here's a good link,

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/made-usa-work-gloves-welding-gloves-187999/

Here's a place found from the link above called Westchester Holdings, they have leather welding gloves but does not say if they are made here, made here with foreign materials or what have you. Probably have to shoot them an email or call.

http://www.west-chester.net/ShowProducts.aspx?mid=1&cid=39

I thought I had an email from Tillman, but it's been at least a year since I asked about it. Like I said, seemed like only one pair of welding gloves(smaw) was made in the USA and I didn't care for it, the style I guess, nope, it was cowhide and I was wanting the elk skins, that seems right.

Hard part about getting American made gloves is (A), getting your normal supplier to stock them, get them in whatever so you don't have to buy a gross at a time, (B) out in God's country somewhere away from your normal lws and finding you need gloves and the local supplier in your area not having them available, then your buying Chinese again. (C) Trying to find a pair of 100% American made, American material gloves is gonna be like trying to find a needle in a stack of needles, then throw in availability. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for buying American gloves, supplies and so on but if I can't find them between my usual 2 LWS then I go with what I can get. They have a couple large buildings down here near me that used to be factories for GM related stuff that are no longer there, be a good place for a guy to put some out of work people in and start banging out some top notch welding gloves.
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 02-02-2011 19:54
I called Tillman today. NONE of the 750 or 850 Gloves are made in USA  They are all chinese
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 02-02-2011 23:25 Edited 02-02-2011 23:45
Made in USA. Not deerskin, but still very comfortable and MANY real welders (pipeliners, refinery welders, shop welders) use them every day. Most (not all of course) people I see using deerskin gloves are tig welders.

I always found that deerskin wore out much faster than cow hide or elk skin when welding all day using SMAW process.

http://jtillman.com/products/gloves/stick/810/

http://jtillman.com/products/gloves/stick/869/

jrw159

EDIT: I choose to support the AMERICAN economy. :-)
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 02-02-2011 23:31 Edited 02-02-2011 23:37
Maybe Shop Welders. I think you would be hard pressed to find many real RIG welders wearing them. If you have spent much time operating your own rig and equipment then you can afford to buy Gloves that Fit and Work well. The ones you posted do not have a good fit nor do they last. That is why MANY More real welders were the 650,750 and 850 Tillmans. If you will read the Tillman Website, it even states that the 750 is their oldest model (made in china) and their mainstay in the product line

http://jtillman.com/about-tillman/
- - By jpill (**) Date 02-02-2011 19:19
Last ones I bought were a really good chinese copy of some made in china Tillman 850's called Black Stallion 850's I halfway figure they were both made in the very same chinese factory.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 02-02-2011 19:52
I am just wondering what Glove Manufacturer the "Weldstudent" talked into making his custom 100% made in USA Welding gloves for him. 95% of the Welders I know wear Tillman (Made in China) I am not sure ANY of the gloves that actually fit, are made in USA.

FYI here is Tilmans # to verify MADE IN CHINA !  (310) 764-0110
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 02-02-2011 23:08
I paid $29.84 out the door for mine. The lws is a supplier for Caiman and had to have them brought in. Figured as big as they are for $30 and if you just walk in a supply house off the street you'll pay $20 for a pair of Tillmans, more for Deersoft, but since I know the guys at the lws and spend lots of money, you know we don't pay average joe price's.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 02-04-2011 11:47
Well, I wanted to report on my first day with my new left handed Caiman glove. Those things are great! It was dang it cold yesterday, 20's. The glove was comfortable, very comfortable. Most of the time I didn't really think about the long sleeve up my arm, barely noticed it and by the end of the day just seemed like part of my body.

Very pleased with this glove and even though they are made in China I will be buying another pair of these for a left handed backup. Until somebody comes up with a glove as comfortable, functional as this in an American made version, looks like China's got a new buyer.

Nice find Cactus!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Gloves with built in leather arm pad
1 2 Previous Next