Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / AWS Table 3.1
- - By joe pirie (***) Date 01-02-2011 19:10
This table lists the material that can be used for prequalified wps
The company will be welding A913 grade 65 weathering steel this calls out for an
A5.29 wire classification. there is a little subnote stating that this wire is not prequalified
in the as welded condition. what do they mean in as welded condition?  does this mean
that the WPS must be Qualified? thank you
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-02-2011 19:40
Sounds like they are looking for a procedure with stress relief/post weld heat treat of some sort.

If no PWHT, than back to clause 4
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-02-2011 21:59
Without looking it up I agree with Lawrence.  'As Welded' means no post weld heat treatment for the most part.  If it can't be done 'As Welded' then they want post weld heat treat. 

If they weren't planning to do the heat treat then they would have to verify the procedure via Clause 4.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-03-2011 01:42 Edited 01-03-2011 01:48
Give us a break Joe. You been here long enough to know you need to state what edition of D1.1 is applicable along with all the details. It may not make a difference in this situation, but you never know.

The electrodes affected by the footnote are limited to those listed, not all of the filler metals are included. Check your table for filler metals that match the weathering characteristics of the weathering steel.

That API open book exam isn't much help now is it? Bet you wish you took the D1.1 open book exam now! ;)

Al
Parent - - By joe pirie (***) Date 01-03-2011 02:27
al the little footnote applies to the filler metal contractor is using as per  there wps
the A5.29 is the correct wire for A913  grd 65 steel. im just trying to find out what they mean by as welded
not allowed. lawrence and brent seem to think that aws wants some kind of post weld heat treatment i cant find
anything in any table that requires post weld heat treatment for this steel. 2008 AWS D1.1  and the AWS code wouldn't help
me much on a pipeline lol. like being a welder we can't all be experts in every aspect of every welding process. if im
unsure of my interpetation of any code i seek the advice of the more experienced inspectors like yourself.
Thank you Joe
Parent - By 99205 (***) Date 01-03-2011 05:12
Taking in to account the definition for "as welded" it seems they are looking for some type of thermal treatment, weld bead dressing or chemical treatment of some type. I would be reviewing my paperwork or submit a RFI to get a positive readout on what is required.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-03-2011 05:34 Edited 01-03-2011 16:18
Joe;

I'm busting your stones a wee bit here. Don't take offence.

AWS A5.29 is the specification, but there are many electrodes of different classifications that are included in the specification.

You haven't filled us in on the details and the correct response requires the details of what is proposed by the contractor.

Welds can be in the "as welded" conditions or the "post weld heat treated" condition. As welded is just what it says, no post weld thermal treatment is applied. The PWHT condition is performed below the lower transformation temperature or above the lower transformation temperature. Below the lower transformation temperature (for carbon and high strength low alloy steels, the typical PWHT is thermal stress relief. Above the lower transformation temperature the PWHT is either normalizing or annealing. Thermal stress relief is the PWHT that is most often performed to relieve the residual stresses that develop as a result of the uneven heating and cooling that occurs during the welding or thermal cutting operations. Occasionally a tempering operation is performed at temperatures between 400 and 800 degrees F to reduce the hardness of the weld and/or the HAZ.

The electrodes listed in the footnote for the most part are not those used to match the weathering characteristics of weathering steel. You need to look at the table that lists the filler metals that provide matching weathering characteristics. Simply selecting any electrode classification included in the A5.29 specification is not necessarily going to provide the match required. While EXXT-B2L is listed in the footnote and in the matching filler metal table, it is not the only electrode classification that provides the necessary weathering characteristics of the base metal. If you look at the table “Filler Metal Requirements for Exposed Bare Applications of Weathering Steel” there are several electrode classifications that can be used that are not included in the footnote of Table 3.1.

If, as you stated, the contractor has selected a filler metal included in the footnote, the WPS must be supported by a PQR where the weld is tested in the as welded condition or PWHT is required for the WPS to be eligible for prequalified status. The A5.29 specification should be reviewed to see what PWHT conditions are applicable in addition any limitations imposed by AWS D1.1.

Keep in mind that if the application requires the base metal to be painted or if single pass groove welds or fillet welds are used, a matching filler metal is not required if the welds are small and sufficient dilution with the base metal is achieved. There are several clauses that addresses these requirements or limitations.

Under the auspices of AWS D1.1, the review and approval of the WPS is the owner’s Engineer’s responsibility, not the inspector’s responsibility. The WPS and supporting PQR (if the WPS isn’t prequalified) must be filtered through the Engineer.

Best regards – Al
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-03-2011 14:47
Careful Joe,

Both Lawrence and I stated we didn't have books to look at and were going from the ever dangerous aspect of 'MEMORY' and thus making ASSUMPTIONS which is really a NO NO.  But we both did it trying to get you something to look for just in case. 

It was a Holiday Weekend and most of us were spending lots of time AWAY from WORK.  No Books handy.  Check out Al's comments carefully.  I still don't have time to grab books this morning.  Got my own work to look after for a spell.  Hopefully it will all be resolved by and for you soon.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By joe pirie (***) Date 01-03-2011 15:47
thank you for your very informative reply. In discussing this with
the in house QC we determined that the as welded condition only applies
to welds made with The B alloy group designation. The wire they are using
is 81T-N2 so it should be acceptable as pre qualified. im going to shoot an
email off to the engineer  Joe
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-03-2011 16:18
That sounds like the sane thing to do. When in doubt, make the engineer earn his keep.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / AWS Table 3.1