Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding on thicker plates
- - By Mark Anthony Nofuente (*) Date 01-12-2011 06:33
Hello Guys,

I'm in need of technical answers to my queries below:

1) How many welding pass will be needed to weld a Complete Joint Penetration Butt Weld for a web plate thickness of 40,50,60, 80 and 100mm ( material grade ASTM A572 ) to a higher thick flange? Root pass to be made by FCAW and to be followed by SAW process.

a) edge preparation will be double bevel with a groove angle of 60 degrees.
           b) what will be the suitable SAW electrode size to increase welding deposition.
           c) ranges of required inter-pass temperature
           d) what will be the required weld size ( leg ) for each particular thicknesses.

Anticipating your technical help.

Thanks...
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 01-12-2011 14:01
I would usggest you purchase a copy of the Lincoln Arc Welding Procedure Handbook. Many of the questions you ask, if not answered, will be very close to being answered.
Oh, and by the way, you do not increase wire diameter to increase deposition until you reach the max of what the wire can handle. It is actually just the opposite as counterintuitive as that may be. Google I2R heating.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding on thicker plates