Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Thinking on building some powered lead reels
- - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 01-15-2011 01:27 Edited 01-15-2011 01:30
I have had this idea in my head for a while....

Basically I intend to build some lead reels but I am going to power them off a adjustable speed geared drive motor (slow folks).  I have already designed an automated spooling mechanisim to walk the lead back and forth over the spool...it is not perfect as I cannot accommodate for circumference as it wraps.   My main worry with it is .....I intend to use a solid piece of nylon roundstock bored out for my insulator bushing...between the reel and the reel axle.....I am going to lay down copper along the reel side and use a spring loaded carbon brush (maybe bronze?) on the side of the reel for a contact, similar to what you see on a bridge crane setup. 

I know nylon can have some capacitive properties to it...Can yall shoot down the idea or tell me where I am thinking wrong before I invest some sweat and $ into this.    I know it sounds crazy but ...I think it will work fine.  The only reels I have ever made before were the simple you gotta unplug kind.  I just think it would be fun to build basically.

THX for any helpful comments
Tommy
Parent - By JeremyW83 (***) Date 01-15-2011 01:39
A buddy of mine saw a rig welder with some like what you are talking about.  It was pretty cool from what he told me.  i think he said the guy use a winch motor or something along that idea.
Parent - - By Pickupman (***) Date 01-15-2011 01:49
Well as far as the motor drive I can't help you. Sounds like an interesting project. I used a flange insulator kit and some pieces of PE pipe trimmed down to fit to insulate between my stand and reels. Then attached the lead from the machine directly to the reel base with short jumpers. The current goes directly through the reels and the welding lead is attached to the reel. I bought some utility trailer axle stubs and hubs at Tractor Supply. I will post pictures tomorrow if I can figure out how in the thread where Cactus was selling his lead reels. Hope this gives you some ideas.
Parent - By Pickupman (***) Date 01-15-2011 15:48
I put some pictures over on that other thread.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 01-15-2011 02:03
I have a couple of 502 Big Blocks that should turn them fairly well !
Parent - - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 01-15-2011 02:17
Is that the same 502's that follow your truck to every  job????
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 01-15-2011 02:28
Sounds like a fun project. Maybe a motorcycle starter motor geared down?
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 01-15-2011 13:09
Nope ! They are spares for the bikes
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 01-15-2011 21:03
Hello Tommy, finally got a chance to read your post a bit more carefully. Nylon can have some electrically conductive properties, I  believe UHMW will not, as it is different from nylon. Having said all of that, there are a number of different types of UHMW and other "plastics", all of them have distinct properties that make them suitable for different types of applications. Many are very resistant to heat, others to impact, still others to friction and wear. In my geographical area many of the mills use a blue colored UHMW to make pins for impact/wear applications, I believe this particular type might serve your purpose well, unfortunately I don't have a specific manufacturer/grade/identification number that I could give to you.
     Some time ago I built a powered rotator for chucking up large parts to be welded on while being rotated. Fitted the rotator shaft with a brass race and then set-up some brush holders to hold brushes(out of a large engine drive machine such as a: SA-200, SA-250, SA-300, I believe you get the idea), as the shaft rotated the ground was attached to an insulated terminal that was attached to these brushes. They were large enough and had large enough pigtails on them to handle 4 to 600 amps pretty well. You may find a configuration based on something like this will work well for your application. Be sure to keep us all posted and if at all possible post up pictures. Best of luck and regards, Allan
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 01-16-2011 00:08
THX for the replies     The drive I am going to use is a 120v variable speed (50-400) geared conveyor drive motor, has the rheostat and everything already on it.  I am going to gear that down a bit with sheaves and a belt.  I got some spare spider gears? out of a chevy rear end I am going to use for a secondary drive to operate the wrap guides via old locomotive style bell crank.  Hand wrapping 300-400 feet of lead is a chore and I feel too dang old for that at the end of the day!

Allan thx for the tip, something in my brain was telling me easy to get nylon was not going to work.  I do not know what UHMW is but I will look it up and see how hard it is to get ($).  Is that the same thing as the grey plastic electrical conduit?  I will definitely post up picks when I get it built, might be a while as it is a side project mainly for the fun of it.  The brushes sound like a good idea, all I need is about a 450 amp DC capacity.

MY SECOND question is this.....  How many feet of lead can you have coiled up on a reel before magnetism interferes with your welding quality, starts damaging your leads from heat or for that matter your machine?    I realize that in A/C welding you will have an issue with hysterises that can cause heat buildup in your coiled lead and also reduce your overall current directly dependent on how much lead/how many wraps you have.  In DC welding this should not be an issue, except for natural current heat buildup right?  What I am using is 2/0 carol and hardly ever will break 200 amps. At least right now anyway.  Lead is just too expensive for me to be burning it up.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 01-16-2011 01:06
Hello again Tommy, might make more sense from that perspective to not use the reels to roll-out and use with current flowing through them. Instead, load reels up with 50', 75', or 100' lengths of of lead connected end for end and then connect them to your machine, as needed, to make your particular length of run. In that manner you would be less likely to have issues of heat, arc blow or other problems from leaving leads coiled while using them. Just a thought. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By NWPAwelder (**) Date 01-16-2011 01:22
You should be able to purchase UHMW through Mcmaster-Carr or possibly Grainger. Micarta would also be another great insulating option for you. If not familiar with Micarta, it is the same material used in flange insulator kits (the bolt washers) as well as my Wendys pancake.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 01-17-2011 02:11
As long as You don't use a "filled" nylon You wil be Ok. Nylon 6 or 66 come to mind. UHMWPE or HDPE should be OK too.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Thinking on building some powered lead reels