Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Miller XMT-300 with series 70 wire feed
- - By David Edwards (*) Date 01-15-2011 16:44
I'm looking at acquiring some equipment for a small welding repair and fab shop in the future. Have an opportunity to buy one of these machines at a very reasonable price. Wondered if anyone has an opinion regarding it.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-15-2011 17:09 Edited 01-15-2011 17:12
Excellent CC/CV power supply.

Good for GMAW, FCAW, MCAW, SMAW and lift arc DC GTAW.

Small footprint..  Inverter power supply draws less current than a transformer.

Pretty tough and robust.. Works good, lasts a long time.

Good inductance/Dig control for short circuit GMAW and open root SMAW.

Very high opinion of this power supply... Max bang for your buck.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 01-15-2011 17:47
Hello David, I second everything that Lawrence posted regarding that combination. Would only have a couple precautionary statements to add; be sure that the XMT is able to be run on the voltage that you have available(some of these machines were 460 or 575 only input voltage, not the multi-voltage types), be sure that the XMT is the CC/CV model(might be a situation where someone bought a bunch of stuff at an auction and had never set it up to run, if you "test drove" it and it welded this certainly wouldn't be the case). The 300's are first generation lead-ins to the XMT 304's and are great machines. Good luck and best regards, Allan
- - By David Edwards (*) Date 01-17-2011 22:14
ny best guesses what a 17 year old XMT-300 cc/cv with a 60 series wire feeder or a 70 series wire feeder should sell for? Info says working condition, from a school welding program.

thanks guys.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-17-2011 23:19
If the 60 series feeders have LCD display (liquid crystal not digital) and programmable pulse options contained in a flip pannel (I think these were 64 series)  Stay away...  Miller no longer supports the $2000 cards that are attached to the display...  They also have a little programming card... Not a floppy disc but very similar... If it comes with this ... You may have real problems when replacement parts are needed.

Regular 60 and 70 series feeders are nice...  The fancy ones had real problems with HF supression (what high freq in a weld shop?) and when the HF fried the cards they finally got tired of replacing them and simply quit making cards, forcing folks to upgrade systems... Grrrr.

Regular ones good... fancy ones bad.

As far as price?   Ebay is a very good barometer..  Plenty of XMT's on sale at any time.. .different years and options..

If the the feeders are dual (often found in schools)  that can be a real good production help.  Very valuable... They are generally about the same price as the power supply...  When looking at new stuff the dual feeders are always *more* expensive than the power supply.
Parent - By weldwade (***) Date 01-18-2011 22:08
I agree with Lawrence. I am looking for a base model 60 or 70 feeder myself. I have used many and think they are hard to beat for my needs. The XMT300 will work just fine as long as you follow the great advice of the others that have replied about what to look for. If I were looking at the system I’m my neck of the woods I would think that $1500 to $2000 would be a reasonable asking price as long as it is in good working condition, hopefully less for your benefit. The XMT300 is the heart of the setup so for me I would want to know it worked and worked well before I made the purchase. I don't think I would buy it for any more than 2K just because of the age of the XMT300. I found an XMT304cccv and 22A feeder with an Optima on Craigslist for $1200. This was in Phoenix Az. I bought it for $1000 and used it for about a year but Divorce forced me to sell it. Keep an eye out there are good deals out there if you are patient.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Miller XMT-300 with series 70 wire feed