Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / block heater for welder
- - By theelee87 (*) Date 01-15-2011 23:43
Anyone run a block heater for welder off a power inverter running off their truck.  Thought it might work good to turn it on when you are driving to a job and shut if off when you get there.... Wondering what guys thoughts were. Thanks
Parent - - By JeremyW83 (***) Date 01-15-2011 23:47
I know some guys that get em and wire em up so that when they plug in their trucks they can also plug in their machine.
Parent - - By up-ten (***) Date 01-16-2011 01:48
Why aren't you plugging it in the night before you head out?
Parent - - By theelee87 (*) Date 01-16-2011 03:20
Its a sa 200.... Never has had a block heater on it.  I was just wondering if anyone has ever tried that and had any luck with it.  The guy i bought it from cut the thermostat so it was always open.  He had the welder plumbed into the heater hoses on his truck so it would just circulate thru everything.  He said it worked great that way,  I didnt want to do it like that incase it ever leaked.
Parent - By up-ten (***) Date 01-16-2011 04:52
Thats a good point. I don't know how cold your winters get, but up here I'll have it plugged in thru the night and if its a long drive to the site, I'll just fire up the machine for the ride out. I don't think it would be too difficult for you to stick a pan heater on the oil pan or install a line heater in your rad hose. Bob.
Parent - By Rig Hand (***) Date 01-17-2011 01:22
I'm with Bob. I take my heater off and start my welder when I start my truck in the mornings, I just let her run on the way to work. It don't do you no good to show up if your machine won't start.

Up-ten's weather is a little colder than ours, but then again his welder wears a sweater :)
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 01-17-2011 02:03
Every 100 watts of heater output will take 10 amps from the truck's 12 volt electrical system. How many watts is the block heater?
Parent - - By theelee87 (*) Date 01-17-2011 03:54
the one i was looking at was an 850 watt inline
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 01-18-2011 04:09
That means Your alternator needs to put out 85 amps more than the truck needs for lights, heater/AC fan engine control and battery charging.

Remember that the alternators rated output is NOT it's continuous or even it's hot rating, and that the rating is at 6,000 shaft rpm, possibly higher.

For this type of inverter loads, You will need to upgrade the alternator.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / block heater for welder