Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Homemade lead reels.
- - By Pickupman (***) Date 01-16-2011 02:33
These are the reels I built. I used 3" for the spools but would use 4" if I did it again. 3" bends the leads to tight. I would also cut them down to 10" long, these are 12". I used utility trailer axle stubs and hubs from Tractor Supply, and reversed the studs so the smooth heads would be toward the leads. Tighten the bearings up so the lead doesn't roll off to fast. I used a flange insulator kit and some pieces of PE pipe to insulate the axles and bolts from the reel stand. Run short jumpers from the machine to the axle brackets and bolt the lead directly to the spool. The spool is hot but insulated from the truck. Let me know what you think or if you have questions.
Attachment: 211.1.JPG (560k)
Attachment: 212.1.JPG (646k)
Attachment: 213.1.JPG (470k)
Attachment: 214.1.JPG (618k)
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 01-16-2011 15:33
THX for posting this here.   I found the original.  How many feet do you run on those?  Do you ever have any welding problems with it coiled up or with the leads getting hot?
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 01-16-2011 15:53
I run about 150' Lead and Ground on my reels. The second you Strike an Arc, you have a Magnet. Even with One Wrap. I have never had a problem with it. However, If I am going to run hard, all day. I just unroll it all on the Lead side. Or, if I am running a test, Unroll it all. For welding like we do, on Oil rigs. It is usually for short periods of time. No need to reel it all off.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 01-16-2011 18:07 Edited 01-16-2011 18:12
THX Cactus     It is rare for me to need more then 100ft anyway...I have not been called out to any building jobs yet, that is where you need a lot.  I am not carrying a unlimited 3g or any kind of pressurized pipe cert anyway.  I reckon I could do the same, run 100-150 on the reel and just use extensions above that.  I am  just curious about it cause I have heard the horror stories of guys melting the insulation on the reel cause it got too hot.  For what I am doing most of the time gates, fencing/rails, bucket shanks, booms, little bit of pipe and such I am really not running it that hard.
Parent - By Pickupman (***) Date 01-16-2011 18:50
Where I work I don't need much lead so I only have 60' on the reels and keep more rolled up in a side bin if I need it. With that amount it usually isn't a problem to pull it all off, but I do leave some on the reels at times and haven't had trouble with it getting hot or with arc blow. But then I rarely run rod bigger than 5/32 5p+, so someone who does might have some issues.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Homemade lead reels.