Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / D1.1 question
- - By burleigh26 (**) Date 01-24-2011 23:38
On plate test, would it be open root or backing strip. and would you grind bead like pipe or just buff it.  normally i dont grind the bead but this is first test im taking and would like to know the correct way.
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 01-25-2011 02:19
Backing strip, no grinding, just clean out slag.
Parent - - By burleigh26 (**) Date 01-25-2011 02:39
thanks, I see a CWI, woundering if you can help me on something else. if you dont mind, i went to a testing center today trying to find out what test to take for my confidence and to have on record for applications.  im looking for a pipe test code, they wanted me to take a test for 2 6G test. one 6010 root/hot 7018 fill/cap which i wanted to take but they told me i had to take a tig root/hot 7018 fill/cap with it, just want the stick test.  sorry for the long story, but any help with codes would help.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-25-2011 05:05
Tell the lab which test you want to take. You are paying for the service, so get what you want or go to another lab. If they started off by giving you the run around, you should probably go elsewhere.

Usually the welder doesn't know which test to take, so I discuss the options that are available. We start the conversation with, "What are you welding or what do you want to weld?" The next question is, "What base metals are you going to be working with?" Then I ask the welder what welding process does he want to use. Next, "Are you welding on-site or in a shop?"

Once the answers to those questions are known, rational decisions can be made as to what welding standard is applicable and which performance tests are best suited to meet the welder's expectations.

Best regards - Al
- - By joe pirie (***) Date 01-25-2011 15:04
If your going to take the pipe test use what the steamfitters test to
2" sch160 xx heavy  5p root 7018n out qualifies to unlimited dia and thickness  asme sect1X
Parent - - By burleigh26 (**) Date 01-25-2011 18:34
thanks joe. thats what i was looking for.  i sure do appreciate the info
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 01-27-2011 14:10
I agree with Al, my lab has been extremely helpful in everything that I have done. Lots of tests I can take but ultimately I make the decision and they test it, I pay them lumps of money, LoL!

On the plate test if it's AWS D1.1 your asking about I believe the plates need to be 6" x 3" times two, 22.5 degree bevel, backing strip has a minimum or maximum width, I apologize I'm not sure of the spec, maybe 3" wide max? On mine I like the backing strip to extend past the plates an inch or so, run off strips. Weld it out 7018, root pass is wire brush or wire wheel only, I think I have seen some guys use a pick to get some slag out. With 1/8" rod, use 1/8" gap, a welding rod slipped into the gap before tacking works well. Oh, 3/8" plate for limited thickness, use 1" plate and that qualifies you unlimited in the position welded, i.e, 3g, 4g, etc.
Parent - - By burleigh26 (**) Date 01-27-2011 14:58
Thanks Shawn. It's been hard trying to find someone to give a test and when I find one they want me to take test I don't want. Headed to Galveston for few weeks to work prolly look there to get some papers.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 01-27-2011 16:12
I did my test at the school I went to. The teacher watched each pass for my 3g/4g and signed off on the paperwork then I carried it over to the lab for testing. I have my own procedures under my company name and they tested the plate using my procedures, teacher just made sure I followed the procedures. I believe I can do my own testing as the owner of the company for the AWS D1.1 but also feel there is a conflict of interest, me owner....me welder! So if I do it for me I go back to the school and let "teach" administer the test.

On the pipe it's different. The only one I'm mostly familiar with is the API 1104. In order to test I have to have a CWI or the gas company there to watch my test. I don't work as an employee for a gas company so I can't go that route, so it's off to the lab once a year for a days worth of welding, where they watch me. I end up going when it's blazing hot outside and they end up hiding in the lab's a/c!! They sneak out and check each pass though.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / D1.1 question