Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Catus- New Orleans Project (locked)
1 2 3 Previous Next  
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 01-26-2011 03:22
Platinum,
  I know that. That is just one of several reasons why I do not work for "Cactus Oilfield Services". LOL

jrw159
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-26-2011 03:38
Hey John, 

How's it going?  This is getting interesting. 

So... people who think the employment agencies are getting rich off others when they take care of payroll, taxes, SS, medicare, unemployment, workers comp and still pay the worker $35/hr are also saying they won't work for those wages but that they see no problem paying quality craftsmen who probably even have to be certified a whooping $14-15/hr.

Man, I do better than that in my tiny shop in another right to work state, AZ.  And I pay vacation and holidays too.  For shop work.  Of course, that's only for employee's.  Currently, my son & my wife are unemployed and I could go on unemployment and make more than we can pay me now. 

Even in AZ the prevailing wage is better than that.  Sure sounds like one of those 'twist the rules' to make money for myself deals.  It may be legal but it sure needs more examination.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 01-26-2011 03:54
Brent,
  I am sorry to say that unless you are willing to screw anybody that you can, cut any throat and corner, be able to run from the people who want to serve you with court orders.... did you say you pay vacations and holidays???.....

I understand why you (much like most honest business people) are having a hard time. You have to set your morals aside and SCREW people.

It is sad, is it not?

jrw159
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 01-26-2011 02:34 Edited 01-26-2011 02:44
http://www.aws.org/mwf/attachments//17/203317/WAGERATECPINSONIONCREEK2.pdf

Please note that “Welder” is not listed in the job classifications.

SPLIT CLASSIFICATION: If a firm that has employees that perform work in more than one classification, it can pay the wage rates specified for each classification.

WELDERS: Receive rate prescribed for craft performing operation to which welding is incidental.

In other words, if you weld a trash can, they do not have to pay you any more than they pay the guy that empties that trash can.

jrw159

EDIT: How can you make "less than a welder" when a welder is not even listed?
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 01-26-2011 02:37
Once again, I DIDN'T make the rules. I'm Just showing the Welding Labor Lawyers where they are wrong. However, You are very right as that is the way it works. Notice that if this were an Ironworkers Job then they make less than Welders.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 01-26-2011 02:50
Welder is listed on the First page near the Bottom in the right hand column
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 01-26-2011 02:58
My mistake. Regardless, if that welder welds a trash can, he gets paid what the guy that empties it gets paid IE minimum wage.

jrw159
Parent - - By Johnyutah (**) Date 01-26-2011 03:56
I have done several federal jobs lately and the is the way all of the wage scales were worded for the wage of a welder. I payed my guys very well on these jobs as well. However I was not about to pay a fire watch or a welders helper what I would pay a rig welder. Our prevailing wage in Utah was around 20- 30 can't remember I will have to look it up. We pay a rig welder much better than that. So since the prevailing wage was sitting a least 30.00 below rig pay and we paid rig welders 65.00 we would catch hell from all the single hands because we would rather pay more and not have to supply and buy tools. I don't know it just seams like you can never make anyone happy anymore. However one the first job we came in under budget and ahead of time with high praise from the testing company. Second job we were told our price was way high and the other contractor would use skid mounts and single hands that went over budget and we made our money fixing there problems again high praise from the testing company. I don't really want to be a part of you twos pissing match but that is a standard wage scale and when your the boss you run the job the way you want if you don't like it drag up or become the boss. I have never meet Cactus in person but we run our operations very much the same and I have talked to him on the phone about drilling equipment several times. This I will tell you he knows the game and knows very well that if he is not square with the people he is contracted to he won't work anymore. I also agree if you want the big bucks go get a rig and get with, it we just finished up some loading racks for a small refinery and had to hear every day how over paid we were for doing the same job the single hands were doing. But they must have added up the wages because we are headed back to replace some tank bottoms. Good luck to both sides we are all under paid if you ask me and if we don't start backing each other up it will only get worse.
Parent - By ronnie taylor (**) Date 01-26-2011 04:01
Hear hear!!
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 01-26-2011 04:07
"if we don't start backing each other up it will only get worse."

INDEED!!

We have to eliminate those that are screwing each other or else we are going to all end up in the chitter. Some will just ride into it on a nicer ride.

jrw159
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 01-26-2011 03:48
Take a real good look at those prevailing wages and listen to the people that say we can't compete with China or India.  All you ever hear is labor costs too much.  So you won't flip a switch for less than $50 a hour, well what happens when the guys waiting for that job will flip on for $40 a hour or the guys that will do it for $30 a hour.  The handwriting is on the wall, a large under employed skilled work force is a Employers dream. The basic rules of supply and demand are in play here, a large skilled workforce supply means less of a demand for employers which means lower wages.  Ya got to love those Right-to-Work (for less) states that brain wash the workers into thinking they're doing you a favor.  It's all BS.  If Right-to-Work states are so great why are the wages so much lower, why is their standard of living lower?  The only way the big wheels at the top can keep making their millions is to keep their thumb on the little guy.  If you leave it up to the Corporate Barons we would all be making $5.00 an hour.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 01-26-2011 04:01
I agree and Dis-agree You are right about the Wages being low. I never said I ageed with them, I just posted them as they are written. We pay MUCH more than that. I had four welders on this particuler job that this paper work is for. Two welders did a Brother-n-law on 2 - 36" joints per day. Thats all. they EACH made 600 per day. As far as the Standard of Living I say BS ! I have lived all over the US. I was an Union Ironworker for a long Time and my Book is shelved. I was signatory to the Locals in St. Louis as well as N.Y. Right now I live in Texas were I was born and Raised. I live in a 2 story Log Home that was built 4 years ago when I bought it. It is in the Middle of 75 acres. THAT IS PAID FOR. I have all the Toys I could ever want. I drive a new truck EVERY year. My Wife travels with me. I go in my back yard or my front yard and Fish whenever I want in one of TWO Stocked ponds. I deer hunt off my porch in my Boxers if I want to. So how is my Standard of Living Lower than those in different states ? I could never do those things anywhere else I have lived. Care to explain ?
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 01-26-2011 04:15
"So how is my Standard of Living Lower than those in different states ?"

Because in some states you can not get away with screwing people like that and you would not be able to achieve that "Standard of Living". :-)

jrw159
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 01-26-2011 04:21
Like I said in an earlier post. If you dont like the way you live or the wage you make, Then WORK FOR YOURSELF ! As long as you work for someone else, You will ALWAYS be at someone elses mercy.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 01-26-2011 04:29
We are ALL at someones mercy then. Everyone, even you work for "someone". :-)

jrw159
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 01-26-2011 04:39
But I make my Rules of what I will and will not do
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 01-26-2011 04:22
Cactus, there are always those who were able to traveled the Golden Path and can stand there giving the motivational speech to the masses.  The fact of the matter is very very few people live your life style and fewer yet will ever achieve it.  I have worked both sides of the fence, Non Union management for 10 years and Union for 14 years and I can say with some authority that Corporate management could care less about who works for them.  The bottom line is their only concern.  I have lived in Texas also, Wichita Falls for 5 years and know Texas bravado when I hear it. I noticed the BFFB.  Does SFFS or RFFR mean anything to you?
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 01-26-2011 04:34 Edited 01-26-2011 04:36
I am not trying to say that I have traveled a Golden Path. It has taken 30 years to get where I am. It's not for every one. It IS the path I chose. It's like the Wage argument. I never said I pay that. I just posted what our Gub'ment does. The hell of it is (in case no one noticed) this prevailing Wage List is from Trvis County. Our State Capitol ! How Stupid is that ? It's like the guy on here who keeps posting how I screwed him. Notice he did not reply to the post about making more with me in two days that he did elsewhere in a week ? He didnt complain about His High Wage. He just Implies that I screw people. Kinda pisses me off that he answers some things and skates around the rest. Anyway. as far as fewer will acheive it. With your back ground, in welding as well as Life in general, You know that if you put your mind to it, the sky is the limit.  And yes those intitals mean something to me. I see your in Washington State. I have some freinds around Bellingham
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 01-26-2011 04:47
I see we understand each other, live the life, be true to those that got your back.  Sadly that seems to be fading away.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 01-26-2011 04:56
I can guarantee you it is not Bandidos. The "B" word for him will get starred out and yesss, they all bleed (once every month).
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 01-26-2011 13:23
jrw159,

How about shutting the F up and take your petty *****ing elsewhere.
This forum has been a great place for professionals to share knowledge and help each other.
Please stop dragging it through the mud.

John Wright and Ross,

Please don't worry about being politically correct and moderate more thoroughly.

Tim Gary
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 01-26-2011 04:53
I did not complain about my pay. You paid me just as you said you would for the hours I worked that weekend. It was good. That is why after that weekend, per your request, I put in my 2 weeks notice and went down there to work with you.

I should have done my homework a little better. I must take at least 50% of the responsibility seeing that I did this with no written and signed contract. It was a classic case. My Daddy always told me, DTA, (Don't Trust Anybody).

I got a little too comfortable and trusted you, my mistake. I have been told that just the same way that drug/alcohol/gambling is an addiction, lying and cheating is an addiction as well.

jrw159
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 01-26-2011 13:17
Cactus,

Please quit feeding the trolls.
It just makes you look petty.

Tim
Parent - By Johnyutah (**) Date 01-26-2011 04:09
Utah is right to work and I have made a good living for a long time and I won't go out without my minimum either. You just have to be diversified because if you drop your rate you won't make any money at less than 50.00 per hour you will be loosing money in the long run. A guy needs to have other sources of income that won't involve wear and tear on his equipment when he cant get a good wage. You would be far better off to take a regular job than to work any cheaper than 50.00 per hour.
- - By joe pirie (***) Date 01-26-2011 16:38
I think it would make a great pay for view amateur UFC lol
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 01-27-2011 01:14
I am IN! LOL I would win by default due to a no show though.

http://www.lamarledger.com/ci_17159998

jrw159
- - By Platinumbased (**) Date 01-26-2011 23:02
What goes around comes around.  People like Cactus get what's coming to them.  They always do.  Maybe not in this world but he will have to answer for his sins like all of us.  I really believe that.  I've worked with and for people like Cactus and I can tell you that they care for nobody other than themselves.  They are self absorbed narcisists with personality traits of egotism, vanity, conceit, or simple selfishness. Often many times divorced with children who end up wanting nothing to do with them.  Look at how he brags how good he's got it, taunting people to 'look him up' as he's home often (as in I dare you to come over and I'll shoot you?), not caring if he screws anyone and then bragging about it!  When they eventually pass away, sad and lonely, at a very old age with all the toys and money they've ripped off over the years, guess what happens?  Nobody comes to their funeral and the vultures line up to rape what's left of the estate.  Ten years after he's gone and nobody will even remeber he existed.

Cactus has the world by the balls today.  Very little work out there and he's leaving his boot prints on the backs of every welder who comes his way.  All we can do is use social networking to pass along this info so others don't get burned by his ilk. 

Dwayne Cactus Jones, the Self Asborbed Narcissist
The Seven Sins of Narcissism:

1.Shamelessness — Shame is the feeling that lurks beneath all unhealthy narcissism, and the inability to process shame in healthy ways.
2.Magical thinking — Narcissists see themselves as perfect using distortion and illusion known as magical thinking. They also use projection to dump shame onto others.
3.Arrogance — A narcissist who is feeling deflated may reinflate by diminishing, debasing, or degrading somebody else.
4.Envy — A narcissist may secure a sense of superiority in the face of another person's ability by using contempt to minimize the other person.
5.Entitlement — Narcissists hold unreasonable expectations of particularly favorable treatment and automatic compliance because they consider themselves special. Failure to comply is considered an attack on their superiority, and the perpetrator is considered an "awkward" or "difficult" person. Defiance of their will is a narcissistic injury that can trigger narcissistic rage.
6.Exploitation — can take many forms but always involves the exploitation of others without regard for their feelings or interests. Often the other is in a subservient position where resistance would be difficult or even impossible. Sometimes the subservience is not so much real as assumed.
7.Bad Boundaries — narcissists do not recognize that they have boundaries and that others are separate and are not extensions of themselves. Others either exist to meet their needs or may as well not exist at all. Those who provide narcissistic supply to the narcissist are treated as if they are part of the narcissist and be expected to live up to those expectations. In the mind of a narcissist, there is no boundary between self and other.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 01-26-2011 23:07 Edited 01-26-2011 23:10
And to think you spent all this time looking up those big words so you could write all of this about ME ! I'm flattered ! Here is a hint, you REALLY need to get a job. You have WAY to much time on your hands. Funny thing is you don't know one thing about me. So since you are so self righteous. Maybe you should read about not judgeing others.
Parent - - By awspartb (***) Date 01-26-2011 23:51
Cactus is back!  Just got back from a big moneymaker and thought I'd check in.  I see ole Cactus is back and the word is out that he's screwing welders on his scabby TX job.

Let me guess.  English is a second language on your job site?  You make me sick.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 01-26-2011 23:53
Great ! Another Troll. Now you 3 can all act like the 3 Stooges
Parent - - By awspartb (***) Date 01-27-2011 00:09
how do find the time to post here running your big money scabby federal job?
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 01-27-2011 00:15
You know, everyone else works. I just sit back and collect the checks ! Life is good !
Parent - - By awspartb (***) Date 01-27-2011 00:55
Cactus, I suggest you purchase the DVD movie "There Will Be Blood" starring Daniel Day Lewis.   You have much in common with the Daniel Plainview.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 01-27-2011 00:59
I have it on DVD it plays over and over and over and over.  It seems you have much in common with.....................Rainman. Ever seen the movie?
Parent - - By Platinumbased (**) Date 01-27-2011 02:00 Edited 01-27-2011 02:09
Here's a link with what is said on the web site to be a picture of Dwayne Cactus Jones. 
Posting this only for unsuspecting rig hands who may cross his path in better economic times.

You'll know to avoid him at all costs.  GET THE WORD OUT PEOPLE!

http://www.drillingahead.com/profile/DwayneCactusJones?xg_source=activity

I suggest you cut and paste the photo before it gets deleted.
SAVE THIS THREAD ALSO!  So unsuspecting Rig hands will NOT drive hundreds of miles and get burned by this guy!  Get the word out before it gets deleted!
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 01-27-2011 02:07
That was stupid ! Most of the guys on here know me. My Picture is on this site MANY times. I think Shad posted most of them. If you would like an autographed one I will be happy too send it to you.
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 01-27-2011 02:11
Since you are so sure of yourself, Why dont you post a list of the people I have "Burned". And why dont you have any info on your profile ? Hiding from something ?
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 01-27-2011 02:46
Here is another one ! It's a little better I think. Different bike but it's still the same ole me !
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 01-27-2011 03:16
A more recent one.

jrw159
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 01-27-2011 03:34
Funny that you pick a picture of someone who is STILL THE BOSS !! Good one, It seems your getting the picture !
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 01-27-2011 03:46
Yep, I got the picture back in Hampton. :-)
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 01-27-2011 03:51
Great, I could not remember the last time I wore that suit
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 01-27-2011 03:54
The fact that you are proud of this speaks volumes more than words could ever achieve about you. :-)

jrw159
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 01-27-2011 04:07
Whats the use in screwing with you anymore ? I guess I shall Hail to the Almighty Inspector John ! I could really care less what you think ,do or otherwise. I just find humor in how smart and all together you think you are. It amuses me.
Parent - - By Eric Carroll (**) Date 01-27-2011 04:16
Not trying to stir the pot, but, what has Cactus done wrong? It seems a few guys are really upset about something. I must have missed it.
Parent - By 52lincoln (***) Date 01-27-2011 04:19
that's kinda what i was wondering.he's been good to me.man of his word.and that seems a little harder to find these days.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 01-27-2011 04:23
PM me. I will tell you the truth. :-)

jrw159
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 01-27-2011 04:24
I have NEVER even met one of them !
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 01-27-2011 04:27
You have met me, but you will not agree to meet me again.

jrw159
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 01-27-2011 04:29
Look Pinhead. I have told you I am at home. And I will be. You have my address !
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Catus- New Orleans Project (locked)
1 2 3 Previous Next