Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Perkins vs. Kubota
- - By Caleb C. (**) Date 02-03-2011 15:26
I'm looking pretty hard at the Vantage 400. I thought I would ask yalls input on powerplants. I am leaning towards the Perkins as I am familiar with it in other applications, but have never owned one in a welding machine. The Perkins has slightly less hp than the Kubota, but I am not sure of the torque numbers of either one. I do like that the Perkins has a mechanical governor. Any thoughts or inputs on either engine is appreciated.

Caleb
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 02-03-2011 15:34
Caleb,
The 400 Vantage is a VERY good machine. However. For Just a Few bucks more (Not much difference in price) You can get the 500 Compact Vantage, I can get them for $10,200.00  You will NOT regret it. It has a Turbo Perkins in it. Much more Welding Power as well as AC Power. There is Nothing that I amaware of that it will not do !
Parent - By rcwelding (***) Date 02-03-2011 16:21
Mine has a Perkins and I love it... Never been around a Kubota.. Don't know anything about them..

RC
Parent - By tnhnt (***) Date 02-03-2011 17:13
For the money step up and get the 500.
Parent - By 99205 (***) Date 02-03-2011 22:04
Perkins motors are about as bullet proof as you can get.
Parent - By empire welding (**) Date 02-04-2011 04:21
I love my 400 w/ the Perkins.  I got it last march and have just over 440 hours.  Air arc with 1/4 rod all day and run  a spectrum 1000 plasma cutter.  It will cut 3/4" before it trips the breaker. Makes great beads with lo-hy and and on pipe 6010, 7010 once i got it dialed in. Works good to with my ln-25. all around a great welder and a good motor.
- - By Caleb C. (**) Date 02-03-2011 22:05
I considered looking at the 500 as well. But honestly the 400 is already more than enough machine for my uses. The 300 would suffice for my need but as I stated I'm interested in the Perkins so that justified me stepping up to the 400. And the extra Auxillary output sure isn't a bad thing. Another reason I like the 400 over the 500c is that the 400 is naturally aspirated, I personally prefer that in a smaller engine.
Parent - By lucky1 (**) Date 02-04-2011 14:42
why do you prefer the natural over the turbo? not stiring up anything just wondering.
- - By Caleb C. (**) Date 02-04-2011 14:55
Just for the simple fact that naturally aspirated engines last longer. And I'm not always the best about letting turbocharged engines cool down enough, which as you know can lead to seized turbo bearings. Honestly, it probably wouldn't matter at all and would most likely last many years. But I think I'll go with the NA powerplant.
Parent - By NMWELDING (**) Date 02-04-2011 15:59
I have a friend who had a SA-250 with the perkins and he loved it. The first SA-250 that he owned had 12,000 hours on it when he sold it,only had to replace the water pump. No other problems. The guy who owns it now has over 14,000 total hours on it,and it`s running great. My friend now has his second SA-250 with over 8,000 hours on it,and no problems,both machines have the perkins. I`ve heard nothing but good about them. I bought a Vantage 300 with the Kubota motor,but before I did I called a place in Texas,which I believe was the national sales rep for Kubuta. The man I spoke to said they had a couple of Kubota motors down there that had over 20,000 hours on them. These 2 engines run constant at high idle under load which I was told would extend the motors life even more. One had 28,000 hours no motor issues,the other had 22,000 hours and only had to replace a water pump. Also I have many friends and family who farm and have the Kubota motor in tractors and skidders and the engines have held up excellent. One of my brothers is quite hard and rough on his equipment,so I know if it will hold up for him it will hold up for me. If a product holds up for him, I know it`s a good thing to buy. The Kubotas held up great for him. In my experience and opinion,they are both an excellent motor. I`d buy either.
Parent - - By jffluxcore (**) Date 02-04-2011 23:11
turbo in car's don't get cool down.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 02-05-2011 01:38
Car engines never make it to 10K hours either.
Parent - - By crahner (**) Date 02-05-2011 02:16
I would disagree.  10,000 hrs is equivelant to 250,000-300,000 miles at a minimum.  This depends greatly on driving habits.  Turboed vehicles can go for many more miles that that.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 02-05-2011 02:46
I have not had problems with the turbo engines I have serviced, but if I don't NEED a red hot part spinning a gazillion RPMs, I don't see a reason to have one.

Driving habits have everything to do with it. An oil accumulator for the turbo bearings is a good idea too, if You don't have control over who runs the equipment.

Many engines get F_CKED UP rather than worn out.
Parent - By crahner (**) Date 02-05-2011 03:59
Agreed, I have never had any problems with turboed engines and prefer them in instances where there is a call for it.  The quieting advantage is nice, not to mention efficency.  There should never be problem with heat unless, like you mentioned, there is a lack of oil or the engine is shut down while under load and coking of the turbo would be the concern at that point.
- - By Wrench Tech (**) Date 02-04-2011 16:22
It looks like the Perkins is the engine most popular here but I had nothing but good luck with the Kubota.  I was familiar with them from servicing several generators on a job I was on for a couple of years and inpressed with their reliability.  Last year I bought a Vantage 400 - a good machine - and made sure it had the Kubota.  Truthfully I think that either way you go you can't go too wrong.  If I had it to do all over again I might go the way Cactus suggested.  I like my 400 but a little more power might have been nicer.  You can always turn it down, you know, but when you have it cranked right up and wish you had a little more...... Then maybe you think you should have listened to Cactus.  My 2 bits.
Tom
Parent - - By tigrooter (**) Date 02-04-2011 23:26
i got the 300 kabota and like it never had a problem.
Parent - By J Hall (***) Date 02-07-2011 13:46
I have two 300 Kubotas and they are a good of an engine as you would want. Maybe a little low on power, but they start in any weather, and fuel economy is unbelieveable.
- - By Robert48 (**) Date 03-20-2011 23:44
We have light towers with both of those engines. They hardley ever get any maintanance and do not quit. Some have 10 to 13 thousand hours and still start and run like new. I have a new Pro 300D with a CAT engine in it and you can forget about it starting without the glow plugs below 45 degrees. I don't think you can go wrong with either of them. Kubota parts are a little more expensive though.
Parent - By C6.7weldrig (**) Date 03-21-2011 04:56
You cant go wrong with either one..... I have a Vantage with the Kubota and a 300D with the Perkins... both are GREAT!
I recommend buying whatever one you can readily get parts and service for.  I have a large Kubota dealer right by my house so it would be nice to if both my diesel machines were Kubota... but either way both are great machines.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Perkins vs. Kubota