Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Real pipliners
- - By rcwelding (***) Date 02-04-2011 16:36
I just saw this old video.. It's kinda cool.. I have never heard of doing a wire bead than stick fill and cap after.. Running that old drag line looks miserable..   Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMxel7uCu64&feature=related
Parent - - By nozzlehead Date 02-04-2011 22:44
Cool ole school video.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 02-05-2011 00:55
Good find....enjoyed it.
Parent - - By Pickupman (***) Date 02-05-2011 01:17
Nice video. Use to run a Link Belt crane just like that in a scrap yard. It was pretty hard on the knees till I got conditioned to it. After that it was kind of fun. Very noisy though.
Parent - - By mcostello (**) Date 02-05-2011 04:03
Well, that's as close as I'll ever get to the real thing. Great film!
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 02-05-2011 08:27
I worked at a place a year ago that still uses the same type of wire feed that I saw in that vid.  Had a Inspector come in to check some stainless tanks I was dual shield fluxing and had him laughing his but off when I showed him the rig I had to use.  The thing got the job done but it looked like a scrap pile.
Parent - - By rick harnish (***) Date 02-05-2011 17:05
Enjoyed the video,RC, thanks! Love watching that old stuff.
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 02-06-2011 01:10
nice video
Parent - By Stringer (***) Date 02-06-2011 20:52
Hot wrapping sure looks like fun.
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 02-13-2011 17:36
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXSz8Sug7dU&feature=related

caught that slideshow too.

Interesting stuff, about as close as I'll get to pipeline work.  I'll stay in the nuke business it's so clean they make us wear khakis.
- - By stanantonio Date 02-07-2011 16:11
Nice video... I live near an old pipeliner (he's 80 yrs old and still gettin it) named Lee Jones. He's a very dear friend of mine and when I get home from being on the road I always make it a point to bring a few cold ones over to his house and shoot the breeze. I always like hearing the old timer pipeline stories of his about useing mules to string  and join pipe. Or the time this welder showed up on the firing line with 100# sack of potatoes and an old junk rig (which he slept under on the right of way) and by the end of the job everybody pitched in and bought this guy a brand new rig. Or listening to stories of him being a helper at 10 and part of his job was to hand crank off his dads welding machine at the start of everyday. All that being said (which probably didnt need to be posted) I've been on a hunt to find an old time video or film showing mules stringing pipe. Has anyone seen a video of this type?
Parent - By Chris2626 (***) Date 02-07-2011 16:43
Yes I have seen a video on youtube of a pipeline done with mules and I seen this video just after i watched this video this person posted but when i tried going back to it just now i couldn't find it, I'll try and search
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Real pipliners