Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Eyeglasses
- - By thermopsummit (*) Date 02-03-2011 23:15 Edited 02-09-2011 18:38
Ordered some glasses from Tom Water, from recommends i seen posted, been 30 days now, no glasses just excuses, said they had them would get them in the mail today, no update still, are these guys legit? They also never contacted why they were late, and they have charged off my card, did so 30 days ago,  pants I ordered they offered to hem because they didnt have my size, sounds fishy to me. May call Visa in AM stop payment unless i hear otherwise.

Thought id post it here as well
Update got them today, along with correct carhartt dbl fronts, excellent glasses btw, mine are prescription , and bifocals to boot, love the more rounded lens to work in gives a better window for the bifocal to see close in, excellent pair of glasses. I would order again from them
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 02-04-2011 00:08
I have ordered several pair of Glasses from them. I also have many freinds who use them. That is the first Bad report I have heard. I even had a Doctor screw up on my prescription and they sent a New pair of lenses overnite at No Charge. I thought that was Great seeing as it wasnt their fault.
Parent - - By thermopsummit (*) Date 02-04-2011 00:14
Thanks Cactus will hold, must be me, every one who sees it has a backorder it seems:) thanks again
Richard
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 02-04-2011 00:39
I have been buying my glasses through them more about 6 years. I have SEVERAL pair. They have always been GREAT to deal with as well as to people I have refered. This suprises me. Surely they have had some unforeseen problem ?
Parent - - By thermopsummit (*) Date 02-04-2011 00:53
aye they said a cpl of weeks ago a lens defect, but never having ordered from them before, another 2 weeks left me a bit uneasy, Im glad they look at lens though, shows they care what they send, just didn't know, a cpl of ebay transactions can leave you uneasy about online stuff.
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 02-04-2011 00:55
I understand about the Ebay thing ! Tom Waters has always been Right. The best I remember, it always takes a couple of weeks at least.
Parent - By J Hall (***) Date 02-07-2011 13:32
I have a few pairs, and the service has been top notch. There was one pair that took a while, but they seemed to be trying to do well by me.
So I will still say that Tom Waters is the place to go.
Parent - By thermopsummit (*) Date 02-09-2011 00:55
Update got them today, along with correct carhartt dbl fronts, excellent glasses btw, mine are prescription , and bifocals to boot, love the more rounded lens to work in gives a better window for the bifocal to see close in, excellent pair of glasses. I would order again from them
- - By burleigh26 (**) Date 02-04-2011 01:29
I've orders three pair so far and have got them within 7 days.  Great glasses not sure why they are taking so long.
Parent - - By jpill (**) Date 02-04-2011 14:00
This is where I get mine, Mike is local to me I've bought three pair from him. If they are non prescription he han make them in one day, if you are blind like me it takes about a week to get the lenses in. I have a clear pair for everyday, and a pair of Rose Lavender tint that I weld in. He can do any tints and all of the lense shapes that The RimWay frames allow.

http://welderspecs.com/Home_Page.html
Parent - - By scruboak (**) Date 02-08-2011 23:51
what is the point of non-prescription glasses?
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 02-09-2011 00:03
They are for Practice for when you get old.
Parent - By jpill (**) Date 02-09-2011 15:49
Some folks don't necessarily need prescription, but need magnification just like reading cheaters. You can have glasses made up that have the magnification you need. Only reason for wearing the Tom Waters/Pipeliners/Rim-Way frames in the first place is because they are light, fit well under a pancake, and stay on with the spring ear pieces. A schnitty pair of reading glasses could work but would drive me crazy if they didn't fit well. I've been wearing the Rim-Way frames for years they just seem to work better than any other frame for me, and I don't wear a pancake everyday.
- - By Holman_11 (*) Date 08-05-2011 18:47 Edited 08-05-2011 23:16
I've known a few guys with these glasses some prescription and some not. The ones that weren't said that the color helped the color of there lenses. I could understand this. I would like to get a pair maybe light prescription but was wondering what color to get. I'm using a singles 240 autodark shade 9. Any ideas?
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 08-05-2011 20:05
I have all different colors of them. I like my Transitions the best. If I wear buying a Non- Prescription pair, I would get Blue lens. Why ? I just like them the best. Everyone has different taste though.
Parent - By Holman_11 (*) Date 08-05-2011 23:17
I was thinking blue or rose.
Parent - - By Short Hood (*) Date 08-09-2011 00:26
Do you wear them while welding? I thought about ordering a pair, but so far have always used a cheater inside my lid. I was concerned that having a bifocal at the bottom of the glass wouldn't work out well if welding overhead or up hill.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 08-09-2011 01:05
I wear a cheater as well. I just use a cheater to which the Top part of my Bifocals + the Cheater = the bottom of the Bifocals. Works Great !!
Parent - By Short Hood (*) Date 08-09-2011 08:00
Thanks Cactus. I'm gonna try a pair.
- - By pipelinegator (*) Date 08-10-2011 16:48
what would be a good entry pay for a green CWI
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 08-10-2011 16:57
pipelinegator

What is a Green CWI
I don't have the definition of green CWI in my AWS A3.0. :cool:

Good Luck
Marshall
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 08-10-2011 19:42
I happen to know a brown CWI is a Sh*tty one! :grin::grin::grin: