Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / pipeliners supply their own welding machine?
1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next  
Parent - - By chitown hustler (*) Date 02-08-2011 00:57
there is no work around chicago union or non-union! what little work there is illegals will just keep dropping their price to get the job. im willing to work cheap but working for $8 an hour is something im not willing to do. (not yet anyway) i went to work at a little non union weld / fab shop three months ago. the owner started me at $10 an hour and bumped me up to $18 the next week. the following week i was getting $20 an hour. went measured and laid  out a big railing job with all kinds of angles. pre marked all the concrete cores so when we went to install the rails the core crew could get a jump on us. all but one rail slipped in slicker then snot. we moved one hole that was pre cored over about 1' and we finished ahead of time and under budget. the next big job went the same way. life was good... until the boss was stiffed on a job. then my paychecks started bouncing. i stuck around for another three weeks with no pay. im not doing that anymore. its time to see what else is out there.
Parent - - By joe pirie (***) Date 02-08-2011 01:36
The refineries in woodbridge Illinois have been hireing welders for new construction
UA Steamfitter work. It seems that some of you peolple ouj here on this forum don't
know what a SCAB is A SCAB is aman that takes another mans job while thet are on strikes
due to a labor dispute. Someone who works non union is a  RAT. Someone who sits at home
waiting for his union to find him a job while he loses his house his wife his car and his dignity
is STUPID. I have or never will work as a scab. If you want to call me a rat  bring on the cheese
at least im not starving.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 02-08-2011 13:50
A Rat? Ok, that's new! LoL!
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 02-08-2011 19:41
Tell it like it is Joe!!!! :) :) :)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By Blaster (***) Date 02-08-2011 20:19
A "rat" is a union member who works non-union.  A non-union member is simply a non-union member, not a rat.  At least those are the definitions I was taught.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 02-08-2011 23:15
Aye, just to dang confusing! Rat, scab, sway back....hahaha!
Parent - By roundydownie (**) Date 02-10-2011 03:13
a rat is anyone who will work a rig truck for a ratty a$$ company for twenty something a hour and no per diem and gettin treated like a piece of $hit!!! As long as people keep doin it then the wages wont ever come up! If a man is gonna low ball and ruin our trade then they need to go work single hand and stay away..Back in the day they would have had no choice cause they're rig would have been burnt to the ground..maybe it will come to that again.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 02-08-2011 02:26
Chitown
If you can weld a car like that, why not start your own car welding business? After all, looking at those pictures, you look be a master of all things Car Welding. Why would any one want to be pipeline welder's helper with car welding skills like that on your resume?

"but working for $8 an hour is something im not willing to do" Hmmmm....
1st week $10X40=$400
2nd week $18x40=$720
3rd week $20x40=$800
4th,5th,6th week=free so... $1920/240hrs.=$8.00
What do you mean you won't work for $8/hr?????
Seems to me, by those numbers, YOU just did. Or maybe less if those checks never cashed. I'll bet the owner sure misses all that free labor.
Bet ya don't brag about that sitting on the bench down at the hall sippin coffee with the Brothers.
Options???  Hmmm.... let's see here.

Do like awspartb said and do carpentry on the side??? Now THAT IS SCABBING TO THE MAX! Proud union man working in his own trade against his Union Brothers. I don't think you want to do that.
I'm trying to be constructive now.
So, if you want to be ethical, when the Pipeliners Local 798 come to town, they hire welders helpers out of the Laborers union hall. You can assemble dunnage under the pipe and still be working with wood.
Parent - By JTMcC (***) Date 02-08-2011 04:32
"the Pipeliners Local 798 come to town, they hire welders helpers out of the Laborers union hall. You can assemble dunnage under the pipe and still be working with wood."

No, welders helpers are 798 members and don't throw skids. Except on fabrication.
Laborers to throw billions of skids, not dunnage, but they come out of, you guessed it, laborer locals.

JTMcC
Parent - - By ronnie taylor (**) Date 02-08-2011 03:07
Seem to me you union BOYS may have rode the free horse sway backed! just my 2 pennies
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 02-08-2011 03:56
what the hell happen??
Parent - - By rcwelding (***) Date 02-08-2011 04:02
They call that sway back ( age ) ..!! LOL...  Aren't you excited to get old..!!

RC
Parent - By Chris2626 (***) Date 02-08-2011 04:28
lol looked like the poor horses on the animal police i see on TV
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 02-08-2011 11:00
I saw a horse like that this weekend on an old Three Stooges show!! Thought like Chris did, what the h_ll! Poor horse, looked like he had to carry one to many riders from our donut society!
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 02-08-2011 19:44
That gentlemen - is part BS's horse!!! :) :) :)

Respectfully (except to part BS!)
Henry
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 02-08-2011 22:41
When I read the bs post I recognized the screen name and replied anyhow, then I realized that it seems that this is what he does on this site, stir the kettle so to speak.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 02-08-2011 11:04
If there is no work for anybody up there think I'd be calling someplace else home.
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 02-20-2011 04:38
Just saw this add on Craigslist today and it just goes to show how low people will go to cut each others throat.

Hello. I have been welding in my own shop for 15 years. I can do most all weld types. Would be willing to trade welding for fire wood. Specialize in fixing broken equipment. I have only a $10 min charge way lower than any other.Please call (509)XXX-XXXX. Thanks for lookin and have a great year.
Parent - - By chitown hustler (*) Date 02-20-2011 12:25
you see that more and more. people driving around in cars with magnetic signs saying how cheap they work. this country is in bad shape!
Parent - - By HillbillyWelder (**) Date 02-20-2011 15:01
And you can thank your boy Osama Obama for that
Parent - By chitown hustler (*) Date 02-20-2011 23:57
how is he my boy?
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 02-21-2011 00:27
Could you elaborate on that "And you can thank your boy Osama Obama for that". I not sure where your coming from but I am sure you sure as hell don't know what you are talking about.  This mess did not happen over night or in just a couple years. If any body is to blame you need to take credit for your part in the state of condition we are in.

If you are going to use the name Hillbilly do it justice and show some good sense.
Parent - - By HillbillyWelder (**) Date 02-21-2011 03:02
Well as far as I can see...the oil and gas industry is slow due to more bueracratic red tape, did I mention how his cronies benefited from the gov't bailout of the automobile industry...Oh not to mention the bailout of the failed mortage trainwreck...more lobbiest bastards in washington now...He talked a good game...why not bring the manufacturing sector back to the USA and piss on China..oh wait a minute that makes too much sense...nobody would be dependent on the good ol' goverments monies!! AND THEN NOT TO MENTION HE SOLD ALL YOU UNION BOY'S DOWN THE RIVER AFTER HE GOT YALL'S VOTE!!!
Parent - By chitown hustler (*) Date 02-21-2011 11:21
if you think all union members voted for the great messiah your just another dumb hillbillywelder. white guilt and 8 years of g-dubya got him elected! stick with welding son, your lone star comedy shtick is lacking.
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 02-21-2011 14:02
Just take the time to think about it for a change instead of spouting off a bunch of rhetoric. If any one is to blame, it is the American consumer.

What has happened to our economy was inevitable but it was hurried along by some extremely greedy asses long before this present administration.

The reason all the jobs are going else where is because “Your not going to pay a lot of money for this muffler”.

You demand lower prices; employees demand higher wages and the stockholders demand higher returns. Now sit down and tell us how to fix it Hillbilly.

By the way, I did not vote for him and you should understand the task is not as simple as you make it out to be and if you have any understanding of ratio & proportion then you know some one has to suffer for some ones else’s gain and visa versa.

All I am saying is; Some of this rhetoric is no less than a bunch of mugs standing on the street corner trying to bolster each others ego by blaming the rest of the world for their in adequacy’s.
Parent - By HillbillyWelder (**) Date 02-22-2011 00:46
Sorry guy's I had to feed the trolls....you must admit it is kinda fun!!!
Parent - By Johnny Walker (***) Date 02-21-2011 00:54
He's probably starving
Parent - - By Jaxddad (**) Date 02-21-2011 19:06
I just got a text from Gruss construction for pipeline welders in ND for 24 a hour. how sad
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 02-21-2011 19:12
WHAT ? We are getting 85 there !
Parent - - By Jaxddad (**) Date 02-21-2011 19:48
it says:
Pipeline welders needed in ND. $24/hr, housing+meals.54 hrs
Sub Arc Welder $32/hr.
Pipefitters $18/hr
Helpers $13/hr
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 02-21-2011 19:50
They are NUTS ! I wonder if they know what everyone else is paying up there ?
Parent - - By Jaxddad (**) Date 02-21-2011 19:52
big question is will they get them?
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 02-21-2011 19:55
I doubt it up there. Hell, drivin a tractor for the local farmers pays more than that. I have spent alot of time there. If they get someone, it will be a rookie. And when he finds out what else he can have, he will be GONE !
Parent - By Jaxddad (**) Date 02-21-2011 19:58
I did a ethonal plant up there a few years ago. i really liked it in ND I wouldn`t mind going back but not at those rates
Parent - - By Jaxddad (**) Date 02-21-2011 19:49
I forwarded it to your cell
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 02-21-2011 19:50
I got it, I am thinkin about giving them a reply !
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 02-21-2011 23:32
Was on a gig 5 years ago where Gruss hired 34 "pipe welders" fresh out of [I won't mention the name but it's in Oklahoma] a welding trade school with out site testing (relied on their final exam weld test). By the time the x-ray got done with the first run, 30 had to be let go.
I'd give hand jobs in a truck stop B4 going to N.D. for those wages. At least that's an indoor occupation....
One thing I did note about Gruss, is that everyone cuts their own deal. If you go to work at their advertised rates, you are a poor negotiator!
Parent - By 99205 (***) Date 02-22-2011 04:45
Geez Super, I didn't need that picture in my head.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 02-08-2011 00:21
Stan, You forgot to tell him about the required Mid-Week Reach-A-Round !
Parent - - By stanantonio Date 02-08-2011 01:33
lol I fotgott. Mr carpenter I may require a reach around from time to time including that you may give me a tossed salad. Which is not likely cause you dont deserve it. Enough said.
Parent - - By joe pirie (***) Date 02-08-2011 01:46
Just for the record the carpenters are the biggest scabs of all the union
trades. They were thrown out of the afl cio  for infringing on the work
of other union trades namely the lathers and painters.
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 02-08-2011 04:28
"They were thrown out of the afl cio "

Just for the sake of accuracy, not that it matters much on this site anymore, the carpenters weren't thrown out of the aflcio. They threatened for quite a while that they would pull out if the money wasn't spent better. Then they pulled out.

JTMcC.
Parent - By joe pirie (***) Date 02-08-2011 13:55
I guess the steamfitters misinformed us about them withdrawing we were told thety were thrown out.
theres alot of talk about a nrew carpenters union being formed
Parent - By ronnie taylor (**) Date 02-08-2011 02:41
LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 02-10-2011 01:11 Edited 02-10-2011 01:13
This says way more about you than it does about anyone else.

I do not engage in this type of sexual behavior, but as I understand it, requiring a "reach around" puts you on the receiving end making you the "catcher" and not the "pitcher".

Maybe you might want to try to educate yourself on words and terms before you use them unless you meant exactly what you posted and if that is the case then it is your "ball" game, go ahead and play it as you see fit. LMAO

BTW you probably do not need a "pemit" for this activity of yours but I would not know for sure.
Parent - - By Brian T. Beard (**) Date 02-13-2011 05:43
I have read your s**t for a long time and the only word to describe you would be a "dink". In our cattle herd we have the pen of "whatever" that don't make the cut or look like they can make the cut by the end and we put them in the "Dink Pen". That sounds like to me that is where you belong. You are what some people would call a blow hard. If you can't pass a performance test then you should go back home and study up, in the "dink pen". So I give to you, Mr. jrw159, the new nickname "Dink Pen 101". If you can't take it you can't stay, and If you can't make it you can't play!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 02-13-2011 06:16
Brian,
  "If you can't pass a performance test then you should go back home and study up."

I have passed some of the most stringent "performance tests" that are out there in our industry, both under the hood and and out from under the hood and I am not done yet. I have more in the works now as well as some in the sights for later down the road.

BTW remember, inspectors and safety coordinators don't give reach a rounds. :-)

jrw159
Parent - - By stanantonio Date 02-08-2011 02:20
I take it that this union carpenter is to good to take my offer of 28 dollars an hour and 65 dollars a day prd. I guess he its below his belt and maybe way below his pay grade. Maybe you should find a Mc. carpenter job at the local burger king. You wanted it I just deliver.
Parent - By Smokin_1 (**) Date 02-12-2011 07:25
" I take it that this union carpenter is to good to take my offer of 28 dollars an hour and 65 dollars a day prd. I guess he its below his belt and maybe way below his pay grade. Maybe you should find a Mc. carpenter job at the local burger king. You wanted it I just deliver."

I wouldnt work for you for 280$ per hour......Mr Negative, I wish I were Born with certs in hand like you.
My hats off to all non union workers since the thead went this way.
ok, I'M DONE! and this thead has went way off topic.
- - By pocket change (**) Date 02-08-2011 04:47
hey part b i will meet ya half way if you can afford it. i will assure you, you will have a story to tell. Only after the swelling goes down. How do you spend 20 years in a trade and you cant build a house?  so the union is so good how come i am still working at more than your high scale pay and your not. how bout those B.A.s they outta work too! I have many friends union and guess what I pass them every morning on my way to work sitting at the house. you can go to hell and I will go to texas!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / pipeliners supply their own welding machine?
1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next