Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / PWHT Treatment Alternatives?
- - By mbrush (*) Date 02-08-2011 20:17
I have a question regarding PWHT. I am working with P-Number 1 material and have an instance where A-106 pipe is being joined to an A-216 check valve. This is an ASME B31.1 job, and B31.1 requires PWHT at a temperature of 1100-1200 F for this thickness (1 3/8" wall). My WPS specifies heat treatment @ 1150 F. The valve manufacturer, however, specifies that the temperature should not exceed 800 F. during welding or heat treatment, so you see the dilemma...

Table 132 (general note (c)) in B31.1 states that when the stated temperature range is impractical, one can perform PWHT at a lower temperature for a longer amount of time. Is there some sort of equivalency chart or guideline that specifies an alternative amount of time for a lower temperature of PWHT? And would I have to amend the WPS to reflect this lower temperature and time?

Thanks in advance,

Matt
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 02-08-2011 22:13
Table 132.1.
You can go down to nominal 900 for 20 hours (who the hell wants to do that).
But you have tolerances that you must contend with as well, meaning you can't go to 900 exactly.
You can pull the guts on the valve, and do a local as well.
I'd call tech service at the manufacturer.
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 02-08-2011 23:39
You definitely need to call the valve manufacturer and question the 800 F limit.  I dealt with one recently that had a similar requirement on F91 SW ball valves because they used 410 SS seats that were tempered at 900 F and did not want PWHT to affect the tempering.  This rendered their valve unusable anytime PWHT is required unless the seats were removed prior to PWHT.  Needless to say we weren't too pleased after purchasing 300 of these valves for a project.  We had them weld pup pieces on the valve in the shop to keep from overheating the valve body on the field welds.

A longer soak time at 800 F would not be permitted.  You are talking about a 300 F decrease from 1100 F down to 800 F.  If you look at Table 132.1, the maximum decrease allowed is 200 F.  If it were permitted, you would be looking at an 87.5 hr. min. soak time for a 1.375" thick weld.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 02-09-2011 14:05
Marty,
Wouldn't the usual service temps of a grade 91 component effect the 410SS seats anyway?
Parent - By MBSims (****) Date 02-09-2011 23:20
My concern also, but we were told to use them anyway.
Parent - - By mbrush (*) Date 02-09-2011 14:27
OK, I just saw Table 132.1 and now I also see why a 400-degree change isn't going to work. The client is unwilling to remove the seats for PWHT. I spoke to the heat treatment contractor and they said the only option is for the client to sign a waiver addressing the issue. Thanks for all the help!
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 02-09-2011 15:19
This sounds like a good place for alternate stress relieving techniques such as vibratory.
Our resident expert on this is the esteemed Professor G.S Crisi.
Using the search function will pull up a lot of good information on this topic.
How about it Professor, do you think vibratory stress relief would apply to this situation?

Thanks,
Tim Gary
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 02-09-2011 16:37
B31.1 does not accept vibratory stress relief.
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 02-11-2011 16:50 Edited 02-11-2011 17:14
First of all, thanks, Tim, for your kind words on my person.

js55 is right. American codes and standards (ASME, AWS, AISC etc.) still don't accept vibratory stress relief (VSR), so it's precluded for this particular case.
I believe it's time for AWS to nominate a committee to study carefully what VSR consist of, how it operates, pros and cons, check other countries' experience and come up with a conclusion:
a) VSR is plenty acceptable, in which case AWS should nominate another committe (could be the same) to write a draft standard on how VSR should be used. Once ready, the draft would be subjected to comments from whoever is interested.
b) VSR is not acceptable, in which case the committee should explain exactly, carefully and in all details why it isn't acceptable.

Now, speaking of Matt's problem, if I were him I'd do as I did back in my days of project engineer: organize a meeting with all parties involved. In this case, the parties would be Matt's company, his client and the valve manufacturer (if he's too far away, his nearest representative may attend).
At the meeting the problem would be deeply discussed and, if everybody acts with good sense and good will to solve it, a solution satisfactory for everybody will be found. I used to do like that back in my days of project engineer with good results.   
Attention, though! It should be a personal meeting, with all persons sitting at the same table and looking one to the other's face. No internet contacts!

Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 02-12-2011 23:08
Thanks for your input Professor. Very good advice, as always.
For conversation sake, do you think VSR could be a viable practice in this or similar situations?

Thanks,
Tim
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 02-14-2011 17:44
Matt mentions a check valve, but he doesn't say whether it's a swing check or duo check.
Duo check valves are usually sandwiched between two flanges, and there are no welds to be done on them. So, we can assume that Matt's one is a swing valve.
Swing check valves' seat is machined, yes, but with not a great precision, as is, for example, the machining of a ball valve.
In my opinion, VSR could be safely used. If the flap moves a couple of tenths of a millimeter due to vibration, it wouldn't cause any visible harm.    
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 02-08-2013 12:51
Hello again Professor Crisi,

I was recently involved in a meeting where the applicability of Vibratory Stress Relief was mentioned.
The Chief Engineer for the project stated "There has never been any proof that VSR works and it should not be considered."
Well, I have to disagree with that general statement, but as VSR is not recognized by welding Codes, as far as I know, there's no sense in arguing the point.
Do you know if there has been any progress of Code recognition of VSR, as you suggested should be done earlier?

Thanks,
Tim Gary
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 02-08-2013 19:29
Tim,
It's always good to hear your greetings.
The Chief Engineer is wrong. Back in 2004 I presented a paper before the 30th Brazilian Welding Conference showing the results of a research that I conducted here at Mackenzie U. in Sao Paulo, with the help of one of my pupils.
The tests were carried out on a 4 inches, Sch 40, A106 Gr.B (low carbon steel) pipe. Three pieces were welded. After welding, one of them was left untouched, the second one was submitted to PWHT as required by the Code and the third one was submitted to VSR treatment.
Mechanical tests (root and face bending, tensile, impact, hardness) on the three specimens showed that VSR treatment produced an equivalent stress relief than PWHT. 
The paper is written in Portuguese, but someone in the States translated it into English. Time has passed and I don't remember exactly who. Give me a couple of days and I'll find out.

You don't need to thank me; it's always a pleasure to be of service to an AWS Forum mate.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 02-27-2013 22:48
Tim,
The translation of our article was done by The Stress Relief Engineering Company, makers of the Formula 62 equipment for vibratory stress relief.
You'll find the whole article translated into English in

www.stressreliefengr.com

Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 02-09-2011 23:18
I would cut the valves out and send them back for a refund.  They are unusable under the heat treatment restrictions you stated.  The valve vendor should have identified this problem up front and should be held liable.
Parent - - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 02-11-2011 18:08
Shouldn't the project engineer be responsible?  Why is the vendor held accountable for selling what had been ordered, unless the purchase order stipulated one thing (pay for this) and something else was delivered (give you that).

Another concern.  If the PE required the PWHT on the joint in the first place, why would he/she consider a deviation?  In my experience, engineers don't call out processes just to see what hornets' nest they might stir up on the AWS forums.
Parent - By MBSims (****) Date 02-12-2011 03:14 Edited 02-12-2011 03:18
Normally the engineer will provide a data sheet to the valve vendor stating the service conditions, materials and applicable codes.  If not, you are correct that the engineer shares some blame.  But the reputable valve vendors know that a carbon steel valve that will be welded to pipe that is 1-3/8" thick will require postweld heat treatment.  It's like a car manufacturer selling a car that the paint will wash off when it rains.  Why sell a car that can't be driven in the rain?  What if they said that you didn't tell them you wanted to drive it in the rain?
Parent - - By Victor Taylor Taylor Date 02-11-2011 15:53
Did you check the carbon equivalent of the base materials as per table 132(b)?  Maybe you could get away with doing no PWHT and just do a 250 deg. preheat.
Parent - By mbrush (*) Date 02-14-2011 19:30
I did check the carbon equivalent of the base materials but could not get around heat treatment. The customer has now written an addendum to the valve installation specification. According to the valve manufacturer, the heat treatment will not affect the valve as long as there is minimal insulation on it.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / PWHT Treatment Alternatives?