Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Victor Oxygen Regulator Woes
- - By jp2welder (**) Date 10-19-2010 14:04
Whew! It's been a while since I've been on here. I wasn't sure if my account was still active, but ...Tada! I guess so.

Anyway, I had some cutting to do - the first time I've had a chance to fire up my old torch in about 2 or 3 years.

Hooked everything up, turned on the gases, and adjusted the working pressures (about 30psi for O2 and 8psi for acy).

First thing I noticed (after debugging for a while) was that my quick release attachment for my Acetylene hose was frozen shut. It would not pass any gas. So, I grabbed a couple of wrenches and bypassed it.

With that fixed, I fired up the Victor torch and started doing a little cutting.

After about 5-minutes of use, I started noticing the cutting pressure was acting funky - starting too strong, then dying to nothing.

I looked over at the O2 bottle to see if I'd turned it off by mistake, and saw the working pressure gauge rising. That's a freaky site!

I pressed the oxidize (cut) lever on the torch, and it went down a bit until I released, then it started rising again.

Turning the working pressure dial, I backed the O2 regulator off to let the pressure off, then turned of the O2 tank. I tapped the regulator a few times with the wooden handle of a chip hammer (sometimes those rubbers get stuck), then turned the O2 gas back on.

This time, the working pressure climbed much faster, and it didn't matter whether or not I pressed the oxidize lever on the torch to release pressure. I started freaking a little and stepped around behind a wall as the working pressure gauge went all the way around and bottomed out on the needle at the 0 psi mark, then the check valve started releasing pressure.

Hoping I wouldn't die, I walked over and turned off the O2 tank. The pressure started going back down.

Jeez! You don't want to know the state of my undies!

I'm guessing a diaphragm tore or a rubber gasket is stuck inside the gauge.

How hard are these to repair yourself? I've tried taking parts in to the local welding shop for repairs, but I generally get off cheaper by purchasing new stuff. They are expen$ive!

The gauge isn't here with me right now. I know it is a Victor, and I know it is larger than the medium duty SR250. I'd guess it is the SR450.

Are these difficult to work on?

Anything special I'd need to know (like a needle valve that will jump out and get lost)?

Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-19-2010 14:32
I feel your pain JP

But don't try to repair these things yourself ever!

Way too dangerous

Sometimes it costs less to replace than to repair... That sucks.

Take it to the supply house anyhow.. or just toss it.
Parent - - By jp2welder (**) Date 10-19-2010 14:41
That's what I was afraid of.

Crap! It looks just as new as in that picture, too!

I could have bought ...well, ANYTHING! Those goobers are not cheap.
Parent - By Northweldor (***) Date 10-19-2010 18:25
It is likely that the problem is that your diaphragm is leaking, or the high pressure valve and/or seat.  In my neck of the woods, this can usually be repaired by a qualified tech. for under $100 CA. Check before scrapping, as a replacement of the same quality will likely cost you double that amount
Parent - - By HillbillyWelder (**) Date 10-19-2010 21:15
Jp2welder were are you at in East Texas, There is a place in Tyler called Torch And Guage that fixes all kinds(brands) of reg's and torches. If you are close to Waco, go by ARC Services, my buddy John Harness fixes reg's and torches on a small scale(qty wise) Torch and Guage fixes mass quantities.

ARC Services
1425 Franklin Ave.
Waco, TX 76701
(254)753-9353
Parent - - By jp2welder (**) Date 10-19-2010 21:31
A town called Longview - about an hour away from Tyler.

I looked into Torch & Gauge, but wasn't able to find it in Tyler.

I found this guy online: http://billswelderrepair.com/Torch_Reg.html

I may try contacting him. He even shows a couple of regulator repair kits on the page above!
Parent - By rlitman (***) Date 10-19-2010 22:03
Well it looks like you're on the right track.  You should PM KSellon then.  She's a regular on this board.
Parent - - By HillbillyWelder (**) Date 10-20-2010 12:59
I thought Torch & Guage was in Tyler, it's in Dallas, sorry jp2welder
Parent - By jp2welder (**) Date 10-20-2010 13:43
Yeah, but it was on Tyler Street in Dallas - so I wasn't too hurt. :)

Dallas would require mailing the regulator out. Shipping something 200 miles isn't much less than shipping something 600 miles.

I sent a PM to KSellon and emailed them using the email address listed on their website. Hopefully, I'll hear something from them.
Parent - By KSellon (****) Date 10-20-2010 19:10
They are in Grand Prairie Texas
Parent - - By KSellon (****) Date 10-20-2010 19:14
The control seat in the regualator has failed, allowing uncontrolled flow thru the reg. The seat stem assy runs $14.00 and is easy to fix. Look at item #10

http://billswelderrepair.com/files/sr450.JPG
Parent - By jp2welder (**) Date 10-20-2010 20:09
$14 and $38 are good prices for this!

Thanks!
Parent - - By NMWELDING (**) Date 02-09-2011 03:17
Kaye,      I have Victor regulators that I need rebuilt and also the torch. Locally I checked on the cost and I was told labor alone is $48 each. I will have $144 in just labor on these. I was told the parts would be less than the labor. Seems kind of high, but then I don`t know anything on rebuild costs. The oxy regulator is a VTS 400 D and the acety regulator is  VTS 410 A . The torch is a 2450. Just curious on your costs to rebuild. I was going to have whatever is replacable, that can go bad,to be replaced. The oxygen regulator had oxygen coming out the bottom of the regulator when I turned it on,relief valve or something? The acet regulator was beginning to be hard to control the operating pressure, it kept increasing upward on its own. The knobs on the torch are getting very hard to turn.The mud,dirt and saltwater from the oilfields are likely the culprit.
Parent - - By KSellon (****) Date 02-09-2011 17:29
Wow-- The average TOTAL cost for rebuild w/ 6 mo warranty is $45 each regulator and 2pc torch. Since the VTS is a 2 stage (2 control seats) regulator you will be looking about $60 each regulator.

All are bead blsted and buffed. All soft body parts are replaced. Pressure and leak checked. The threads of the bonnet will be tapped to ease knob movement. Turn around time is 10 days
Parent - - By NMWELDING (**) Date 02-12-2011 03:04 Edited 02-14-2011 04:08
Kaye
I`m going to check with the regulator and torch rebuild place near me to see if they can come close to your price,if they won`t,what is your shipping address?Also, roughly, how much would shipping be?
Parent - - By KSellon (****) Date 02-17-2011 23:32
2006 SW 15th Street Okc, Ok 73108

I use USPS flat rate boxes. You will pay about $10-18 when you ship them to me and I pay the shipping to return it. So you only pay one way.
Parent - - By NMWELDING (**) Date 02-18-2011 20:51
I checked the Post Office to see what size the flat rate boxes are. The largest they have is 5 1/2 x 12 x 12. In order for my regulators to fit I will have to take them apart somewhat. If I took out the adjustment screw it is still 6 1/2 inches deep. If I take that part off the back which looks as though it comes off with a wrench, I think it will fit. Both the oxy and acet regulators are the big 2 stage ones, the torch is no problem,as it parts in half. I was going to just buy a new set, but if I can get these rebuilt I will. I have 3 or 4 sets that will  need to be rebuilt eventually, most of them the large 2 stage ones. VTS 400D oxy and VTS 410A acetylene,the torch are the 2450 model.
Parent - - By KSellon (****) Date 02-19-2011 00:22
Even if you go just Priority mail (regular box) it won't be off the prices given. If you wish to disassemble them fine, but don't go thru the trouble to save a couple bucks.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 02-19-2011 02:59
Kaye,
  This is why you guys excel. Pictures are OK but you cant really take a picture of your support and willingness to help.

jrw159
Parent - By NMWELDING (**) Date 02-19-2011 03:07
Thanks Kaye
I`ll check into that.
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 02-18-2011 01:47
Send it to Kaye, You won't regret it !
Parent - - By KSellon (****) Date 10-20-2010 19:15
If you send it in to my shop it will run $38 for rebuild.
Parent - - By TRC (***) Date 02-07-2011 22:10
Hey K, are parts for MEC available?
Parent - - By KSellon (****) Date 02-08-2011 21:30
Meco?-- I have parts in stock.
Attachment: MecotypeO.jpg (425k)
Parent - - By TRC (***) Date 02-08-2011 21:31
Thanks I'll call ya- Ted
Parent - - By KSellon (****) Date 02-17-2011 23:31
Ted I haven't forgotten about you just running behind.
Parent - By TRC (***) Date 02-18-2011 01:11
Thanks K, I got it.
- - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 10-20-2010 21:04
I would do like lawrence said I would buy a new one,it's not that these people can't rebulid the part, but I would trust something new. I think my life is worth more than a few dollars. Don't mean to p#%s off no one but thats the way I fell.

M.G.
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 10-21-2010 03:13
I would trust ksellon to fix one item than trust some low paid factory/assembly worker to screw up an entire regulator...at least you know what is wrong with this one.
Parent - By Northweldor (***) Date 10-21-2010 11:53
In addition to Kay's (and Bill's) excellent reputation, regulators are rebuilt by qualified people all the time, and there is no need to scrap a perfectly good regulator because of one or two worn parts. The overhaul job done by qualified people often results in a product that is just as good, and safe, as a new regulator.
Parent - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 10-23-2010 12:52
when kay is done with your regulator......its better than new.
Parent - By FixaLinc (****) Date 10-25-2010 07:30
Most LWS only want to sell something new and will tell you they can't be fixed or don't want the liability if something goes wrong.  Well they shouldn't be in business if worried about liablities.  Several places still repair them or supply parts. 

http://www.regulatortorchrepair.com/
Parent - By weldwade (***) Date 10-30-2010 23:47 Edited 10-30-2010 23:50
Do you go out and buy a new car when your tires are worn out? A regulator is a mechanical piece of equipment and can be easily repaired by a capable person. I have three different sets, been using them for over 20years and they have all been repaired one or more times each. I don't agree with you Milton. We welders fabricate, repair and make something out of nothing all the time.
- - By jp2welder (**) Date 10-30-2010 20:59
Got the Regulator fixed.

It turned out the Oxygen Gas Valve (#10 in the picture) had a dried out seal.

http://billswelderrepair.com/files/sr450.JPG

Excellent! And an easy fix with the supplied diagram. Works great! Thanks Bill's Welder Repair! A+!
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 11-01-2010 00:49
Is this place close to you are did you have to send it off, if so for how long.

M.G.
Parent - By jp2welder (**) Date 11-01-2010 12:56
Bill's is not close to me, so I called and ordered their repair kit.

Installing the parts was straight forward using their schematic on their website.
- By Francisford (**) Date 02-09-2011 19:27
I have had a airforce Job for 11 years and we rebuild everything we can.  Bills had rebuild some stuff for us over the years and they are second to none on the quality and the price.  I would recomend them to anyone. and hell you could put your regulator in one of those post office flat rate boxes and it may cost you 10 bucks each way.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Victor Oxygen Regulator Woes