Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / How to get the paperwork with value?
- - By Tigger18 Date 02-13-2011 05:36
How can I obtain a weld certification? I used to work with a guy who was "certified" by having a coupon sent to him....he then sent it back for a bend test and they sent him the cert. I knew that there is no cert that is readily interchangeable in the welding industry bc there are just too many subdivisions and processes...all with different levels specialized skill required. But all im am looking for is something that I can put on a resume to help get my foot in the door....you know.....something that can put some driving power in my resume. I was thinking of of getting the basics first.....carbon, stainless, aluminum.....then maybe try for a couple exotics like hastaloy and titanium....both plate and pipe for all for sick and tig. Is this possible? If so then how do I do it?
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 02-13-2011 07:26 Edited 02-13-2011 07:29
Hello Tigger18, welding certifications are somewhat mystical. My reason for putting it that way is simple, they are, as many have stated here and elsewhere, a snapshot in time verfying that you are capable of passing a given test at a given time. The tests that you may have taken and will possibly take in the future, are in many instances, only good while in the employ of a particular employer or for a set span of time. It's certainly good to have certs. to prove your capabilities, you will still test for just about every employer that you come to work for. Another issue is the specifics of a particular certification, there are "countless" certifications, the cost for attaining these certs. in many cases would put you in the poor house and still not possibly guarantee you any particular job or work.
     My humble suggestion is to specifically target an area of interest and do some researching and question asking. Once you have a better idea of what sorts of certs. are likely to be required do not simply practice the tests that are required, practice the process and get "really" comfortable and good at using it, then work on proficiency with testing. All too often folks will train to the test and be oblivious to actually being proficient in fitting, welding, and providing quality welding.
     I work with students all the time who are so hell-bent on passing a "certification test" that they don't consider what it takes to actually apply those skills to real world scenarios. For instance, when you go from passing a plate test to welding out a moment connection on a 20 story highrise, you will be lost. Similarly, pipe welding skills are great in an educational facility, they are completely different when trying to perform them in a pipe rack 300 feet in the air with limited access and a number of other issues to contend with. Students and beginners are rudely awakened when they get out to their first job and realize that the test is a very small part of what is required of them. I believe I can safely say that any industry or job that requires a welding certification requires those doing the welding to be good at performing and applying all of the other skills needed to set up the work for welding. Basic: safety, math and measuring proficiency, basic rigging possibly, understanding of equipment and welding equipment set up, how to operate and maintain thermal cutting equipment(oxy-fuel, plasma, oxygen lance possibly), use of a carbon arc cutting system. Grinding, metal cut-off, and metal finishing equipment, are you familiar with their uses and safety issues, are you familiar with contamination issues where cross-contamination of materials can exist and cause problems, and why?
     Try to have patience, try to find an "in", that in is the hardest part of starting your career. It will be a test of your endurance, patience, resilience, creativity, and character. Don't give up, just plan for the initial start possibly taking more time than you ever imagined. I believe I have seen some of your other posts asking the questions to get this all in motion. Keep asking those questions. If there is a type of work that you are interested in around the area where you live, go out and make contacts and your intentions known. Persistence in this area will only give you a better chance. In the meantime, if there are schools, facilities, or otherwise, where you can gain additional knowledge and skills and you have the means, get after it. If there are union halls that apply to your area of interest, get over to them and make the necessary applications after you have considered what they have to offer and whether it appeals or works for you. I believe you are fairly young if I have followed your posts correctly, at this point, time is on your side, use it well. In the future, if not already, relationships, family, and other priorities can come in to play and limit your options for pursuing your personal dreams. Best of luck to you and regards, Allan
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 02-13-2011 23:26
There are people who will send you a certification. All you have to do is find that person out and send them the money. They pencil whip one out and you are poorer for the transaction. You can have on your resume you can weld a Budweiser can to a ceder post in a vacuum. You can have "certification papers that confirm you have once done it. In the real world, what is on your resume is worthless. If I need someone who can weld a Budweiser can to ceder post in a vacuum, before I hire you, you are going to prove to me you can weld a specific can to a specific post in a specific vacuum, in front of me or my designated representative.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-14-2011 14:26 Edited 02-14-2011 14:29
There are several basic welder qualification tests that can be administered by any "competent" CWI or SCWI. You do not need to use the services of an AWS Accredited Test Facility.

The following would be some things to consider before paying for a qualification test. Remember, every welding standard has specific requirements, so the points to consider are general comments subject to confirmation by reading the specific code requirements.

Process: qualifying for one welding process doesn't qualify you for a different welding process.

Base Metal: Carbon steel, stainless steel, aluminum, nickel, etc. Once again, in general, qualification for one base metal does not qualify the welder for other base metals groups.

Weld Type: Fillet weld or groove weld. In general, a fillet weld qualification does not qualify you for groove welds, but a groove weld qualification does qualify the welder for fillet welds, that is unless you expect to seek employment in aerospace, in which case you need to pass a fillet weld test on thin sheet stock.

Product Form: Plate, Pipe, or Sheet. Pipe will qualify the welder for plate, but plate may not qualify the welder for pipe. Sheet steel only qualifies the welder for sheet steel.

Backing: Welding without backing qualifies the welder for welds made with or without backing. A qualification test with backing only qualifies the welder for welds with backing or back gouging. A welder qualification performed with back gouging - you are on your own, all bets off, depends on the welding standard.

Welding Position: Depends on the welding standard. Generally, a welder that passes horizontal, vertical, and overhead positions are qualified for all positions, but read the applicable welding standard.

Welding Standard: Welding standard is an umbrella term for codes, specification, recommended practice, etc. Every welding standard used by different industrial sectors have their own particular requirements. You need to identify what industrial sector you would like to work in so you can take the right qualification test(s).

ASME - pressure vessels and pressure piping
     AWS - structural, machinery, nonpressurized systems
     AWS/military-standards - aerospace
     NAVSEA - shipboard equipment, hulls, etc.
     ABS - commercial shipbuilding

Each welding standards specifies different welder qualification tests that must be passed for specific applications. Many of the welder qualifications cannot be transferred from one employer to another. The bottom line is that even if you have current qualifications or past qualifications issued by a previous employer or school, the new employer will have to test you again.

AWS D1.X structural welding codes are generally the only welding standards that allow the employer to accept previous qualifications issued by someone else.  Most employers are interested in seeing that the prospective employee has passed a qualification test similar to the tests he will have to take for their specific type of work.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that a welder could spend a life time taking different qualification tests and spend more money than George Jr. and still not be qualified for "everything."

Once you have decided what you want to weld, you need to determine what welding standard is applicable. The first question you need to ask the person offering the qualification test (for a fee) is, “Do you have a current copy of the applicable welding standard?” If they hedge, go elsewhere. Ask if they will witness the test. If they hedge, go elsewhere. Ask if they have given the test before, if they hedge, go elsewhere.

Good luck.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / How to get the paperwork with value?