Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / New Welding Machines
- - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 02-16-2011 15:27
The company that I work for is looking into buying three new 350 dynasty welding machines. My question is do you need to qualify these new welding machine. Someone here says you do but the way I read AWS D17.1 as long it is meeting the acceptance criteria specified in Section 6 you don't have to.

M.G.
What do you think.everybody opinion welcome.
Parent - By Ringo (***) Date 02-16-2011 16:18
We run the Dynasty's,and weld to D17.1,and we just have them put on a load bank once a year to make sure they are putting out what they say they are.
Parent - By OBEWAN (***) Date 02-16-2011 17:29
I don't recall any requirement in D17.1, but there are some NADCAP requirements about equipment "moving" and installation.  If certain equipment is moved it has to be recalibrated and/or recertified.  We had one shop where we had to physically bolt all equipment to the floor to get out of the requirement due to an audit finding.  It has to do whether the equipment is permanent or not.  Bolted according to auditors means permanent.  Of course if you are not a NADCAP shop this could all be N/A.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-16-2011 22:02
Milt

The closest thing you will find is in the fabrication section.  (5.4)   But calibration is not a code requirement for power supplies.

However, many D17 production facilities have calibration progams of one sort or another, in order to verify WPS consistancy.
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 02-16-2011 22:42
Lawrence

Well said

Thanks

Marshall
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 02-17-2011 13:15
We have every welding machine calibrated ever year.

M.G.
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 02-17-2011 18:08
Milton Gravitt
Then if it is in your procedures you need to have it calibrated before it is put into service.
Our's procedure is written for calibration every 3 months. It was for when we were AISC Simple Bridges qualified for conformance to AWS D1.5.
Now we are just Qualifying to the Building Standard, but it is about as easy to just continue with that calibration scenario than change all concerned
Good Luck
Marshall
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / New Welding Machines