Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / timbrens
- - By weaver (***) Date 02-15-2011 02:00
anyone have any pics of them on your truck?, do they raise the bed up at all?
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 02-15-2011 02:30
They dont raise the bed unless it is already sagging. I have them on all my trucks. My 2010 Ford nor my 2008 Dodge is even touching the springs with the Timbrens on
Parent - - By weaver (***) Date 02-15-2011 02:42
could you text me a pic buddy?. The mechanic up here wants to see it, He is going to install them on my weld-a-saurus 4000 (08 f-350 diesel)
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 02-15-2011 02:51
This is a pic of my Ford. It is sitting normal. I hook up my 40' Fifth Wheel and it will squat about a half inch. No more

http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?tid=27019
Parent - By Johnyutah (**) Date 02-15-2011 14:51
I haven't weighed my truck alone but I just crossed the scales at 34,260 lbs with my gooseneck on and I think it sat me down about a half inch. In my opinion they are the best thing out there have them on my personal 3/4 ton as well.
Parent - By FixaLinc (****) Date 02-18-2011 20:57
Their website shows how they work and different setups for small and large trucks plus gives you a online dealer locator with phone numbers.  Fixing to put some on a 5 ton truck. 

http://www.timbren.com/
- - By Eric Carroll (**) Date 02-15-2011 02:51
do they have any benefits over airbags?
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 02-15-2011 03:36
Yes. An air bag adds 5000 lbs to your capacity. Timbrens add 9000 lbs. Timbrens NEVER leak and the dont need air. A full air bag setup is about 1000 bucks. Timbrens are 300 installed
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 02-17-2011 16:44
Hey Cactus, my truck is touching my helper springs are the timbrens long enough to pick it up off the springs? Once I put the itty bitty 250 on there the front end is a bit loose and have been thinking air bags or timbrens to rake it back towards the front some. Never had "loose" steering wheel feel until the 250 joined the family, now it's annoying.
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 02-17-2011 22:13
Timbrens will do the trick
Parent - - By A_DAB_will_do (*) Date 06-19-2012 19:33
Cactus,

Resurrected this old thread to say thanks for mentioning Timbrens.  Not sure if I saw your recommendations first in this post or another.

But I recently had reason to switch to a smaller truck for work.  Installed my welder in the back and squatted the suspension.  I remembered your posts and ordered a set of Timbrens for the front and rear of my truck.

100% satisfied with the improvement in ride and handling with the truck running at the factory recommended payload.  Before I installed the Timbrens I was on the bump stops all the time and the handling was downright scary in a strong crosswind on the freeway.

Install took about 2 hours total for all four Timbrens.  Cost was $400 for the set of four on my '06 GMC Sierra.
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 06-20-2012 01:18
Glad you like them and glad I could help with my opinion. I would not have anything else after running them.
Parent - - By tnhnt (***) Date 02-15-2011 04:26
Had airbags on my 05 Dodge and timbren's on my 08 Dodge and would not go back to air bags. Timbren's are cheaper and not the hassle that airbags can bring you! Got a set of 4 for around $230.00 and installed them in an hour and half.
Parent - - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 02-15-2011 06:24
I have had both myself timbrens and goodyear airbags with a on board compesser. I do like both and am just curious in more detail of what you thought of both of them. What I liked about my timbrens were they are cheap and easy to install. But what I didnt like is that they seemed to push back rather than absorb the road. What I liked about my airbags is they seemed to absorb the road more and with my on board compressor is that if I was towing something I could compresse them up and then lower the jack and deflate them all the way and drive out from my trailer. I think I paid 700 for the complete package and install on my airbags.
Parent - - By tnhnt (***) Date 02-15-2011 18:13
IF I had an on board compressor they would probably not have been such a hassle. Having to inflate them all the time became a real pain in the rear when I would hook up to me 5th wheel,and with the timbren's I just hook and go. With the weight of my welder, 3 co2 bottles and 600' of welding lead, co2 hose, electric chord and remote cable I don't get a lot of bounce with my timbren's on the road. If you had an unblanced load where one side of your bed is heavier than the other side, air bags are nice due to the fact that you can level your bed.
Parent - By TozziWelding (**) Date 02-15-2011 21:50
My buddy has them on his F-250 with a big old slide in camper and they make a difference. Last few trucks I had, I just pulled the springs apart and added leafs.
- - By thermopsummit (*) Date 02-16-2011 01:34 Edited 02-16-2011 01:46
Have timbrens on mine, about 11k weight single wheel, stopped me from hitting overloads completly, stopped most of the sway to, truck negotiates wind river canyon at 65 again.
Oh 96 Cummins 12 valve
Parent - - By TRC (***) Date 02-18-2011 01:27
Hey Richard, does that mean your running 11,ooo on four tires? I'm running load range E on my F250 tub and they look like they need air all the time. I'm hauling SA200, 2-125 oxy,1 #3 ace, and maybe 500# leads and misc tools. Scared to weigh it. What tires are you running? Ted
Parent - By thermopsummit (*) Date 02-18-2011 10:57 Edited 02-18-2011 11:03
Running cooper discover HT's load range e as well. If i remember right 3200 per tire is the load rating, had good luck with those and Maxis tires, lot of how they sit is the profile you get. the cooper ht's are not as aggressive as some, but ride quiet, and i always carry chains for nasty mud or deep snow if i need them, use the covered gooseneck compartment to put them in just welded some expanded metal in there so the wont slip through. if i was down south id look at a more agressive tire if i was off road much, most wyoming roads have a bottom in them, and dualies pick up lots of flats up here. Electrical contractor who runs a lot of service trucks turned me on to it.
Richard
Rated at 3415 btw 265/75/16 Discover H/T
- By Eric Carroll (**) Date 02-16-2011 04:34
I have air bags on my 5500 gmc, just to level it side to side. I bought the kit for under $300.00, no compressor, just air line, fill valves, bags and brackets. took a few hours to install. Would the timberens be good for my Dodge dually with a slide in camper?
- - By texwelder (***) Date 02-16-2011 17:47
Does anybody have them on the front of there truck, they make them to fit chevy trucks, i'm thinking of putting them on the rear and front
Parent - - By tnhnt (***) Date 02-17-2011 21:00
I have them on all four corner's of my dodge. Im sure you can do the same with a chevy.
Parent - - By atc250r (**) Date 06-24-2012 14:44
I put Firestone AirBags on my '04 F350 DRW.  I aired them up to 70 psi, drove my truck (11,000 lbs) down a gravel road for 5 miles when I left the install shop and in those 5 miles 3 bolts sheared off.  I emailed Firestone the photos and explained what happened and they replied that they were overloaded.  I replied "How can my air bags be overloaded when I'm not exceeding my GVW?".  No reply from them.  Never again will I buy Firestone.  I will go with Timbrens next time.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 06-24-2012 17:38
I sheared a bolt off my airbags, my truck weighs 11,000lbs. I replaced the bolts with Caterpillar grade 8 bolts and have not looked back. Have had no problems since, check the air once a week and done. I've been thinking about timbrens for the front but not sure, might just replace the springs with custom. Still on the fence about the timbrens for some reason
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / timbrens