Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Where to start for certification
- - By Ted88 Date 12-29-2003 20:46
I have been welding about a year and I have taken a course to improve my skills. I'd like to get certified just for personal satisfaction. I don't need it for a job requirement or anything like that. I've read the stuff that AWS has online about certification but I'm confused as to what I should do. My basic goal is to be certified in GMAW. Is there such an option? Would I have to specify a material too (steel, Aluminium)? Is there a listing of choices somewhere? Thanks for any help!
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 12-29-2003 22:50
Certification is usually done by an employer. Some states, AWS accredited test facilities etc have "Certification" but usually the test is administered by an employer.

Some trade schools may offer a course in which you can be certified after completion of tests.

Various codes and standards govern welder qualification. Each will have a set of variables that must be tested and a subsequent range of qualification. These variables may include material, filler metal, position, thickness, backing, restriction, etc.

If it is just for personal satisfaction you may be able to contact a local NDT lab that may offer welder testing.

Hope his helps some. More to come I hope

Have a nice day

Gerald Austin
Parent - By Neal Chapman (**) Date 12-29-2003 23:45
Contact your local AWS Section officers. They should be able to tell you who does testing locally. Several of the local sections have sponsored certifications as an annual activity. There are AWS Test Facilities around and the AWS Certification Department can help you with locating those. You will need to shell out some dough for this. NY State has test facilities for the DOT maybe other states do the same.

If you are not an AWS member you can contact HQ about joining or at least talk to Rhenda Mayo (Member Services) about your local section contacts. Her contact information is elsewhere on this website.

Best of luck to you.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-30-2003 13:12
Hi Ted88,
I hope you'll take up Neal's suggestion and check out your local AWS section and get envolved. I really enjoy the section that I am associated with. At work I am only exposed to SMAW and FCAW. At the last section meeting we took a field trip and saw a laser cutting demonstration. Oxy/Fuel and Plasma Arc are the only two cutting processes that are used at our shop. The laser cut so clean and very little slag to clean up.
John Wright
Parent - - By flatjwl (*) Date 12-30-2003 14:06
The term "Certified Welder" may be one of the least understood terms on the planet. There are literally thousands of different tests/requirements for which one can become "Certified" to perform a specific job under. Certifying tests can be conducted by an employer, a municipal agency, a private agency on behalf of either of the above or on behalf of a local government inspection authorities, or naval facilities. Some Certifying tests simply require that a weld be applied in accordance with a procedure, and that the test specimen conforms to the acceptance criteria with regard to size and type of defects. Other Certification tests, for example Civil Service positions, are VERY involved and include a written test which most of us would have difficulty with. My advice is for you to find an employer who "Certifies" their employees using the GMAW process and in the positions you feel comfortable with. In some cases this "Certification" will be only a visual inspection. While other employer based "Certifications" can require the specimens to withstand various destructive and/or non-destructive tests. Being "Certified" can mean MANY different things.
Parent - By Ted88 Date 12-30-2003 16:02
Thanks to all for all the info. I certainly agree about the term "certified welder" being one of the least understood terms. I'll look into joining a regional AWS section. From the AWS online info I know there are testing facilities within driving range. I don't think that I'll have an employer to certify me but I'll keep looking to see if there are any private or public sources. Very confusing process for what seems like should be a straight forward deal.
Parent - - By Ted88 Date 12-30-2003 17:05
Another, though related, question... If certifications are given by employers what would a guy (or gal) do if they were unemployed but thought that having a certification would be a big help in finding a job?
Parent - By JTMcC (***) Date 12-30-2003 18:16
get in the phone book and call test labs in the area. Tell them what you want to do and see if they will test you as an individual. Cost may be steep, several hundred dollars.
Or, find a program, such as a community college, other tech school or union, that will test you at much lower or no cost.
Finally, is there a market for certified mig welders? I don't know but I would think that most mig positions (and I don't include flux core here)don't require papers, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
If you describe what type of job you are looking for you might get good advise from folks in that field as to how to get a foot in the door.

happy new year,
JTMcC.
Parent - - By WBI (*) Date 12-30-2003 21:58
It's unfortunate that the options open to an "uncertified" weldor are limited. It's the old story of, I can't hire you until you're certified but I'm not gonna certify you for someone else. Like JTMcC said, Check around the area for a certification agency with a CWI. Have them conduct the tests in AWS D1.1 chapter 4 that you feel comfortable and competant with. With a qualification report like the one in Annex E of D1.1 stamped by a CWI most shop owners or QC Managers will accept that as a "certificate."

Out here on the left coast we do it a bit different. The jurisdictional athority usually sets the rules and sometimes conducts the tests. For example WABO is a State wide organization that qualifies throughout the state of Washington and is recognized in most of the northwestrern states. In Los Angeles they have a combined written and practical test that is recognized an/or required throughout the southwest.

Good luck Ted
Parent - - By Ted88 Date 12-31-2003 14:57
Thanks again to all for the good advice. I'll post what I end up doing, but I suspect it may be awhile till I figure out the best plan of action. Thanks again.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-02-2004 12:48
Hi Ted,
Here at our plant, I retest everyone that comes in the door applying for welding positions. Due to the hard time of proving welder continuity, I simply retest whether you are carrying papers or not. I would think that papers simply will help to get your foot in the door to gain a chance at testing though. I agree that the ole' qualification/certification water has been muddy and everyone seems to have there own definitions. This makes it hard even if you know the correct definitions of those terms, because you then second guess whether the person you are conversing with knows the correct definitions. I run into these conversations on a regular basis with trying to figure out what our contracts are actually asking for, due to the terminology. Sorry for the bit of rambling there.
Most certifications are only good and valid as long as you are employed by the employer that tested(qualified) and certified you. There are certifications that individuals can obtain through an AWS testing lab that will be valid to carry from place to place. However, like I said most places will have their own test(s) to make sure you are "qualified" to do their type of work, then they will write up a paper that says that they "certify" that you are qualified to do that type work with the given processes and positions and ranges of variables dictated by the test(s).
Hopefully, I didn't confuse those terms any further for you.
Good Luck with your pursuit of happiness in the welding field,
John Wright
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Where to start for certification