Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / another question about suitcase welding
- - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 02-20-2011 04:31
I am going to try this for myself but.....what are if any the differences in running a suitcase off a CC machine with hardwire and gas, like er70s and a 75/25 mix..... from running it on a regular CV mig welder.   Do you have the same strength properties generally, will it run as well as off a shop mig?
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 02-20-2011 08:47
Hello Tommy, I am going to include an article that explains some of the issues with CC versus CV. I had a different one that I would like to have included, but I can't find it right now. I hope this link works. Best regards, Allan

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/articles/wire-feeder-selection-MIG-GMAW-welding/
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-20-2011 15:10
Allan's article is good.

As far as running solid wire from a suitcase and CC power... No it will not run anything like a shop Mig.  

This is why D1.1  excludes CC power from Prequalified GMAW/FCAW operations.

GMAW with a CC power causes *voltage* to vary as the contact tip to work varies.  Unlike CV power where the current varies as the tip to work distance changes.  This may not sound like a big deal.. but it is  :)

You can stick metal in a pinch with CC GMAW,  Some folks still run a good bit of FCAW in the field this way... But it is NOT the best way by any stretch of the imagination.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 02-21-2011 02:05
My understanding is that You won't get good short circut performance with a CC power suply, so You have to use spray transfer, with the gas and position limitations that come with spray transfer.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 02-25-2011 12:56
Good information, very helpful to a new suitcase owner!
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / another question about suitcase welding