Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / wire feed compadability with classic III d
- - By louieRD (**) Date 02-26-2011 23:39
would anyone have any knowledge if theres a mig welder that can be hooked up to a '99 classsic IIId  ? 200 amp-350 amp  primaraly for aluminum. any input would be greatly appreciated.
Parent - By 52lincoln (***) Date 02-26-2011 23:55
i believe you might be out of luck.that is a dc welder,it takes ac to weld aluminum.you can buy some welding rods though that will weld it.
Parent - - By Iron Head 49 (***) Date 02-27-2011 00:12
Aluminum Mig is DC, does that machine have CV?
Sometimes I see Cobramatics on eBay for around $400.00 if you could adapt a Cobramatic to your machine then you'd have push pull. With a short aluminum gun, and U-grooved drive rolls you might get away with an LN-25.
Parent - - By 52lincoln (***) Date 02-27-2011 00:16
hmmm.learn something new everyday.i always thought or was told you needed an a/c machine to run aluminum with mig.i'm not familiar with the process.thanks
Parent - By 99205 (***) Date 02-27-2011 00:25
One of my welders is a Lincoln 185c with a spool gun and it does aluminum better than I thought it would.  It's not a serious industrial set up but it's fine for everyday garage stuff.
Parent - - By Iron Head 49 (***) Date 02-27-2011 00:28 Edited 02-27-2011 00:32
AC is commonly used for Tig welding aluminum, but you can use DCEN and helium and really turbo charge your weld.

Here is a video on Mig welding aluminum. 3rd one down on the left.
http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/improving-your-skills/mig/
Parent - By 52lincoln (***) Date 02-27-2011 00:39
thanks.all i have is a 200 and a ln25.when i get my shop finished gonna find me a big mig machine.thanks again
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 03-01-2011 18:09
Here's a pic of dc aluminum tig, one of the guys on here sent me this sometime ago, said it was dc tig with helium or helium mix. Been a few dreams since then.
Parent - - By Iron Head 49 (***) Date 03-01-2011 18:52
Shawn I've only played with DCEN Tig with Helium a little bit. It is amazing how hot the puddle is!
There is a very small window of gap from the tungsten to work where the arc will start.
You can just about cut your AC settings in half when running DCEN with helium. 

Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 03-01-2011 19:20
Looks good Iron Head! I have not tried it yet but have heard it is hot!
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 02-27-2011 01:18 Edited 02-27-2011 01:26
You could run a spool gun or a push-pull with that machine. I never ran aluminum on a CC machine, but it has been done a lot, but requires a voltage sensing control box. I know You can get voltage sensing spool guns, but I don't know if there are voltage sensing push-pulls.Depending on what You are building You might be better with a spool gun with a 50' cable, but if You don't need to move around that much, a push-pull has a smaller gun and uses big wire spools. Someone mentioned an LN 25 with a short gun, there are strate guns that will take aluminum better than a gooseneck gun. Some things to think about.
Parent - - By 52lincoln (***) Date 02-27-2011 01:28
i dont guess i've ever heard of a push pull gun.would you just hook the spool gun to your electrode holder?
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 02-27-2011 01:59
Spool guns have a control box and run off the machines Aux. power. If You have a CC [stick only] welder You need a voltage sensing control box which has a voltage sensing wire that You clip on the work. If Your machine has a CV output, You can use a control that doesn't have the voltage sense wire. The control box can contain a contactor to turn the welding power on when You pull the gun trigger, abnd depending on what spool gun, may contain a gas selenoid valve.

A push-pull gun has a box with a spool of wire and a feed motor, and a gun with a feed motor in it as well. Both motors run to push as well as pull the wire through the gun conduit. These are used because aluminum wire is not as stiff or smooth feeding as steel wire. There is less tendency to "birds nest" between the feed rolls and the gun conduit because the wire is being pulled from the other end.
Parent - - By burleigh26 (**) Date 02-27-2011 01:40
hey louie, profax make a spool gun that runs off your machine (DC). uses pos. side for heat and 110 plug for power to box.  i have one and it works great. mine cost about 12-1400 new.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 02-27-2011 02:05
I have an older Airco spool gun that will run off AC or DC Aux. power. It was made for the military. It is probably verry similar to Yours, unless You have the newer solid state motor control model. I have not tried this one out, but it is hardly used at all.
Parent - - By louieRD (**) Date 03-01-2011 12:45
thanks for all responses, im gonna look into the profax, do you have a model #?
Parent - By burleigh26 (**) Date 03-02-2011 00:48
louie, that spool gun i told you about is profax model AEC-200.  thats the olny model i was told profax has to run off our machines. there other models run off electric machines.  Miller makes a nice spool gun that i few my buddies run but i dont know the model number. i know they are more expensive than the profax.  hope that helps you out some.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-02-2011 01:08
Here is the website:
http://www.weldmart.com/AEC%20SPOOL%20GUN%20MASTER.htm
Your machine has AC Aux. power, so You can use the control normally used with CC machines shown on this page:
http://www.weldmart.com/aec-200%20cc%20spool%20gun%20system.htm
Parent - By louieRD (**) Date 03-10-2011 11:49
thanks to everyone for the knowledgeable responses, this is exactly what i need for my classic IIId.what an impressive machine!
Parent - By tazmannusa (**) Date 03-13-2011 00:17
Do you have the CV tap on it ?
I have the classic II with cv and hook up a cobramatic and lincoln spool gun both work good, Not cheap getting the cables, Y spltter, and remotes.
CC works but not near as good
  Tom
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / wire feed compadability with classic III d