Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Gettin a fifth wheel trailer
- - By DHPatton (*) Date 02-27-2011 00:29
Not sure if this should go in here or in the "Welder's Exchange" forum but here goes. The wife and are going to get a fifth wheel trailer to be more mobile. My question is I have a 8' flat bed on my truck with a Vantage 300 mounted about 8" from the cab with a toolboxes on either side with a 4' wide area in between the boxes as well as air bags on the back axle.I am running an 07 Chevy 3500 4X4 with the duramax and allison transmission.  I am curious what kind of set up you guys have on your flat beds. I have studied many rigs and have noticed that most people tend to mount the hitch, either gooseneck or fifth wheel, on the tail end of the truck. About 2' or more behind the center of back axle. I guess I am wondering how many of y'all do the same as well as is this bad for the truck? Also what about the front suspension any additional problems there? And I suspose since I am running a 3500 I am probabely allready over wieght with my rig so the trailer will probably put me way over. Any comments on what y'all do with the wieght issues? Thanks in advance for the help. Also if you have any pics of your hitch contraptions that would be greatly appreciated since I will be coming up with something for my truck. One more question what are the pros and cons of using a fifth wheel hitch over using a gooseneck setup. Again thanks very much.
Parent - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 02-27-2011 01:17
i  have mine 19" from the back of the bed(tailboard) its about 12-14" behind the center of the axle. i have a 26ft fifth wheel camper and i dont even know its back there. NOW,when i pull my 32ft gooseneck trailer, i have the gooseneck ball right over the axle....again no problem.
I have had my fifth wheel set up like this on 4 welding trucks and have had no problems pulling it or weight distribution issues.
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 02-27-2011 23:06
This is Very Simple. Have Timbrens installed on your truck. They add 9,000 lbs capacity and Air Bags can only add 5,000 lbs. Max. AND youy never have to add or check air pressure with Timbrens. As far as converting to a Gooseneck Ball. I have don it both ways. I refer the Fifth Wheel hitch. It doesn't have as much Jerking as the Ball does. My Hitch is 24" behind axle centerline. I have a Fithwheel hitch that Pins onto rails so it is a Quick Detach. When your not using it, Just set it off. I also cut mu rails down and Welded them Direct to the Bed. That way I dont have a 3' set of Rails going all the way across my bed. I only have about 6" at each in Piont. I am looking at the new B&W fifth Wheel Hitch. You have to install a Hide-Ball Goosneck ball (it flips over to be out of the way and unseen when not in use) The new style fifth wheel hitch has a connection the ins into the same hole as the Ball. Then when its not in use. NOTHING is left on your bed.
- - By Caleb C. (**) Date 02-27-2011 01:13
Well I don't know if this helps much, but here's a pic of a bed I'm working on. It doesn't appear to be but the gooseneck is 12" behind the axle centerline. I just hooked up this trailer and jack-knifed it too see how much room I'll have (of course my machine isn't mounted yet) but it has PLENTY of room. BUT- this is my little ranch catch trailer with a pointed nose, I'll have to hook up my larger horse trailer as it has a much broader flatter nose to see how much turning clearance I have. As long as it clears my little Easley trailer and flatbeds (which have the same nose profile) I'm happy. I could have moved the hitch back farther but wanted to keep as much workspace off the back as possible so I didn't move the gooseneck ball any farther towards the back. But I'm sure with a big RV, it's going to take some room seeing as they all have really wide fronts. I know a lot of guys move their's pretty far back with no issues. There is a pic of Cactus's rig on here somewhere with his trailer and I believe he said his hitch is 2' behind the axle with no probs. Best of luck...

Parent - By JTMcC (***) Date 02-27-2011 02:05
My gooseneck ball is over three feet behind the axle centerline and it's pulled smooth thru 25 states so far at extra legal speeds. I do have enough spring in the back tho.

JTMcC
- By DHPatton (*) Date 02-27-2011 22:21
Here is another question I have if I make an extension to the neck of the fifth wheel, say about a 1', and weld a gooseneck hitch to it, will that do something to the intregrity of the trailer. I guess also if since there probabely aren't many bonefide engineers here than maybe you have seen this done? And how did it work out? Again thanks for the input.
- - By Caleb C. (**) Date 02-27-2011 22:42
how about a set-up like this?

Parent - By Rig Hand (***) Date 02-28-2011 00:33
I have this adapter on my "home" right now. Works great, my ball is 12'' back from my axle CL and my adapter adds another 9 1/2'', I think. Instructions say you can bolt it or have a certified welder stitch weld it. I was lucky enough to find a certified welder for the job :)

I did have to trim down the handle cause my ball sets down in a box. Took about an hour to install.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 02-28-2011 14:07
My buddy has an 05' dodge 4 door shortbed and he has a 30 something foot travel house. He's got one of these set up on his and says if he didn't have it he would have wiped out his cab a hundred times already.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Gettin a fifth wheel trailer