Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Tantalum Welding
- - By Steve.E (**) Date 02-26-2011 00:01
Our company will soon have a project requiring us to weld some small Dia Tantalum pipe and flanges 1.5 to 6 inch . Many years ago I did a GTAW fusion weld on some 1/16 sheet but this job will require quite a bit of filler material. Any tips or insights would be appreciated.
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 02-26-2011 00:20
Just a curious question: are you talking about a sulfuric acid concentration plant?
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By MMyers (**) Date 02-28-2011 15:17
You won't be in Kansas any more.  Clean clean clean and purge purge purge will be your new motto if this project has typical Ti surface oxidation requirements.  And by clean, I mean everything from tools to filler wire to the shielding gas to the prep itself.  As for weldability, Ti wets very well, but tends to have a shallow pool.  What looks hot on the surface will just barely penetrate through a root land.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-28-2011 17:05
Mike,

I think you may have misread the original post.. Which is for joining tantalum rather than titanium.

Unless the original poster is the one who is confused  :)

For those who are interested, (Mike already knows all this), here is a link that contrasts Reactive metals (like titanium) to refractory metals (like tantalum)
http://www.keytometals.com/Article50.htm
Parent - - By MMyers (**) Date 02-28-2011 19:34
Thank you.  Yes, I did read Titanium, not Tantalum.  And if end up being the one that's not confused, it'll be a first.
Parent - - By Steve.E (**) Date 03-01-2011 09:06
Thank anyway Mike unfortunately I did mean Tantalum we have plenty of Titanium weld experience but little of the Ta. I understand the same precautions will apply but what worries me is the high heat inputs required to weld this stuff , Im sure purging is going to be a real bear.
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 03-01-2011 21:05
As Lawrence correctly said, tantalum is a refractory metal. Refractory metals have a very high melting point, which explains the "very high heat inputs" you're talking about. 
A typical application of tantalum is in sulfuric acid concentration plants. Tantalum is the only metal that withstands boiling concentrated sulfuric acid. That's why I asked the question before, with no successs because Steve didn't answer it.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - By Steve.E (**) Date 03-01-2011 22:30
Sorry Giovanni, thought I did answer that, This is not for sulfuric acid plant but for gold processing autoclave nozzles.
- By Steve.E (**) Date 02-26-2011 00:23
No this will be for gold processing autoclave.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Tantalum Welding