Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Wood stove
- - By jim parker (**) Date 03-03-2011 20:03 Edited 03-03-2011 20:10
Just thought id share a cpl pics of my wood stove i built. There is a blower on the back that blows the hot air out of the center tube,works good. Working on a wood boiler now. Anyone have a set of plans for a wood boiler?
Attachment: woodstove2.jpg (27k)
Attachment: woodstove-1.jpg (24k)
Parent - By JMCInc (**) Date 03-03-2011 20:15
That's a nice stove. Is there a way to clean out the heat exchanger? Is my concern over the upper cylinder getting caked with creosote and causing a chimney fire a valid one? How long did it take to build? Again, nice craftsmanship. Thanks for sharing.

Jon
Parent - By Johnny Walker (***) Date 03-03-2011 20:22
Bada$$ stove!!
Parent - By Ringo (***) Date 03-03-2011 20:38
slick job man!
Parent - By uphill (***) Date 03-04-2011 18:25
Nice work, wish I had a shop at home to do some winter work.
- - By jim parker (**) Date 03-03-2011 20:40
No I did not make a clean out i just threw it together to get some heat in my barn. I put a screan over the inlet to stop the big chunks. I need a long piece of flex hose like a dryer vent hose to attach to the front ,then you could blow the heat where ever you want. Ill have to post some more pics of things ive built. Glad you like it
Parent - - By weldwade (***) Date 03-03-2011 22:00
Nice job Jim! I have always made the outlet toward the back of the stove. Do you get any smoke out of the door when you open it up? The first one I ever built hat a flat top with the outlet at the rear. It was for our big wall tent for hunting camp so we could also cook on it. It always puked smoke out the door and caused several cuss words to be muttered. So from then on I always made a smoke shelf that worked well. I'm just wondering because I am also thinking of building one for my shop and it will be out of pipe also. Won’t have to use it much here in Az but it sure would be handy from time to time.
Parent - - By rig welder6 (**) Date 03-03-2011 23:52
I do have plans for a outdoor wood stove i got on line prob 8-10 yrs ago i will see if i still have them some where.
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 03-04-2011 03:45
Jim that is a dandy!!!!   could not help it man.   Looks great!!    Betcha could make a mean smoker.
- By texwelder (***) Date 03-04-2011 20:30
No plans but I seen a wood burnin hot tub one time and it worked awesome
- - By Caleb C. (**) Date 03-04-2011 20:54
Thats a slick set-up. I need to build something like that for my shop.
Parent - - By TRC (***) Date 03-05-2011 12:51
My house was built in 1998.  It has oil heat. The chimney is block with the yellow/brown flue pipe. Would it be safe to run a wood stove with this type of chimney? Are there special types of flue pipe for different fires? It runs from the basement up two stories, attic and about four feet above the highest point on the roof. Around 30' in length.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-05-2011 13:50 Edited 03-05-2011 13:53
If you do not have a ready supply of fire wood, consider a pellet stove. They are pricey, but they do a good job with little effort. Fill it up once a day with pellets, clean it a couple of times a season with a vacuum cleaner to remove the dust from the blowers and you are ready to rock. My daughter has one. She only removes the ash about once a week. The pellets are considerably less expensive than oil.

I bought one a couple of years ago to replace the wood boiler I built 30 years ago. I haven't installed it yet because I have to rip out the boiler first and I haven't found the time to do that. Besides, you just know I have to modify it before installing it.

The boiler is air tight when you shut the front or it can be used as a fireplace with the front open. I'm burning charcoal in it right now because I hate sending my money overseas. The charcoal is not inexpensive, but I like the even heat it produces and it has a pleasant flame when it is burning. The only problem is that it doesn't get hot enough to really heat the water in the boiler sufficiently to be effective. After all, it was designed to be a wood burner.  It cuts my oil bill by two thirds, but it really doesn't save money because it is a bit pricey.

My wife has an old photograph of it, but I don't know where it is or if it can still be scanned. Those old color photographs fade pretty quickly in a few years.

Gotta go.

I almost forgot; I posted to respond to the question about installation. The pellet stoves do not need a chimney flue like a regular wood stove. You can vent them right out the side of the house if you want to install it where there is no chimney.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By thermopsummit (*) Date 03-05-2011 15:21
Pellet stoves are a good alternative, but if you vent out the side like a drier vent, first its a forced air exhaust system, so if you have a outside wind at a higher velocity than the stove exhaust it can and will push it back into the house, always better to send exhaust up a flue where natural draw will help, also always use dbl wall pipe pellet stove pipe will hit 250+ so you take normal installation procedures just as you would a wood stove you just use smaller pipe. another fact if you turn your stove down in heat, they soot up as well including the side of your house if its a low exhaust install,  MOst of the Pellet stoves can be put on a thermostat, but only the better ones completely shutdown then start back up cheaper ones goto low setting (the feed and blower) then when thermostat kicks goto max settings. The disadvantage of that is more pellet use.
Richard
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 03-05-2011 22:33
There is a formula to use to figure out if your chimney is sized correctly to be able to run a wood stove though it.  I have a Gas Line Installers License (required to run household gas lines in this area), and part of that test is to figure the proper type of flue and flue size.  The problem is if the flue is too larger or too long the exhaust from your stove may cool too quickly and not make it out of the chimney.  This would cause excessive creosote build up and a possible chimney fire.  Another major issue would be CO2 infiltration into the house, very bad stuff.  You could get a hold of a wood stove vendor with you chimney dimensions and see if you need to do any mods.
Parent - By thermopsummit (*) Date 03-06-2011 11:15
Ahh i thought something like that, i have a 3m 4 gas monitor, has h2s and lel on it (why i bought it) but also has co2, shows 1-2% when i damp the fire way down, but 0% when i let the fire roar.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-07-2011 03:36
It is against building codes to use the same flue pass for an oil burner and a wood stove, but it will work if You end up doing it. Ours worked fine that way for years, then Mom put Her foot down about the dust from the wood stove, and We have not used one since 2000.

Chimney construction like Your is commonly used for wood stoves & fireplaces as well.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-08-2011 04:25 Edited 03-08-2011 04:35
I found the original photograph of my wood burning boiler. I also took a photograph of the boiler as it stands today. My wife made me close it in. She didn't like the industrial boiler-house look.

It has served its purpose quite nicely for the last 30 years. I am burning charcoal in it this evening. I don't have time or energy to cut and split wood. The charcoal doesn't burn as hot when I throttle it back. On the evenings when it isn't too cold a ten pound bag will burn through the night and stay toasty all day so that all I have to do is add another 10 pound bag in the next evening. On the colder days I use two ten pound bags of US made charcoal. When it is really cold, zero or below, three ten pound bags per day does the job.

Believe it or not, Home Depot had a sale this weekend, only $2.27 per ten pound bag. I bought 35 bags! Talk about getting some strange looks at the checkout counter! I didn't bother telling them that the charcoal is a fraction of the cost of oil even when buying charcoal that isn't on sale. I prefer the natural charcoal because it burns with a nicer flame when I leave the front open in the evening as it is in the photograph and there is less ash. However, when the boiler is closed up for the night and most of the day, I burn regular briquettes, they tend to be less costly than natural charcoal.

Best regards - Al
- - By Caleb C. (**) Date 03-08-2011 04:57
Does anybody use a oil drip stove system in there shop? I have been wanting to build a stove but integrate a drip system into it also. Its a great way to get use out of that old, thin, black, diesel oil. I have only seen one in use personally, and it just had a large reservoir, with a needle valve and copper tubing to get a steady, slow drip on the fire. Sure does burn hot...
Parent - By Pickupman (***) Date 03-09-2011 00:27
The commercial ones I've seen use compressed air to force the oil in through a nozzle like an injector in an engine. It kind of atomizes the oil as it blows in and REALLY ups the BTU output over a drip system. Just make sure your heater is made of heavy enough material or you WILL have a meltdown. We had a truck shop in my home town burn down last winter when their homemade oil burner ran away while they were at dinner.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-09-2011 02:26
We had a drip type waste ol heater in the wiood shop for a while. It was a little trickey to get it going, and the drip flow increased as the oil warmed up, so You had to tend it some.

Shutdown as even more complicated than start up, because without the introduction of cold oil, the pan would put out more oil vaper, and the fire would increase considerably.

We would slowly decreas the oil drip over a good period of time before shutting it off completely.

The pressurized air systems are self igniting, need little fussing with except for cleaning.
Parent - By Robert48 (**) Date 03-10-2011 02:27
I was thinking of building an outdoor wood boiler to tie in to my HVAC system this summer. Anyone ever built one? If so where can I get a good set of plans? I found some on the internet but would like some hands-on input before I buy one.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Wood stove