Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Sorry Cactus!
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 03-06-2011 09:51
I've looked and read til my eyes bled about timbrens and firestones. Timbrens only offered 1000lbs more capacity then the bags for my truck. Timbrens, 6k, bags, 5k. I read timbrens are an easy install, bags not so easy. Timbrens not adjustable, bags adjustable. Lifetime warranty on the firestone bags, not for the timbrens. Timbrens $220 plus shipping, bags, $255 with free shipping. Sooooooooo, after weighing all of the options, likes dislikes, etc., I have to say, sorry Cactus, went with the airbags. LoL!! Guess I just had a better gut feeling about the airbags, maybe from driving around in so many class 8 trucks and seeing all of them on firestone bags. I'll just be glad to get them on there and get the truck off the helpers. Throw a nickle in the road and when I run it over I'll be able to tell you whether it's heads or tails with the way this thing rides right now!! Got a big day of installing them tomorrow then monday a.m gonna give them a test when I hook my steel and copper loaded trailer to her for a "saving for tidwelds fund" run.
Parent - - By Caleb C. (**) Date 03-06-2011 15:55
I just bought the Firestones too. Haven't installed them yet, but will this week sometime. The reason I chose them over timbrens is I was really wanting my ride height to be adjustable. So that ruled out the timbrens. Let me know how the install goes if you beat me to it.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 03-06-2011 18:11
It was a breeze Caleb. Listened to Brad Paisley, Mud on the Tires for the first side install, Eric Church cd on the passenger side install with a smoke and coffee break between cd's. Aired up to 40 psi on the jack stands then mounted the tires, dropped her back on the ground and I went from being about 4" off the tires with the wheel wells to 8-9". Once on the ground though I rechecked the air pressure and it was at 60 so dropped back down to 50, 40 and then to 30. Went for a test drive and holy cow!! I think somebody slid an escalade chassis under the truck!!!! You can run the bags as low as 5psi but I wanted to keep the truck off the helper springs and 30psi let her heavy butt hover just above the helpers. It's definitely time to start on a truck bed though. Spent years loading this truck heavy enough to get the bed height down to a comfortable work surface, now it's like climbing Mt. Everest, need one of those pipeliner ladders!! I'm thinking about getting a "T" for mine though so I can just hit one fitting with the air and bags will equalize out by themselves, just glad that every stone I hit does not jar my guts out!

Install is not bad. I measured off the top of the frame 1-1/2" and drew a chalk line straight across the top where the top bracket was going to sit. Assembled the upper and lower brackets with the bag and sat it on the springs. They want you to have 5-6-1/2" gap between the inside of the upper plate to the inside of the lower plate. My bags sat right at 5-3/4" at rest. Then you just level them off(eyeball) with the shims they give you, mark the holes with a paint marker and wear it out. I used one dewalt drill bit(3/8) and sprayed once in awhile with lube while drilling and no problem. Once you got the holes drilled put the bag back up on there. Oh yeah, I left the one bolt on the lower bracket with the slide loose until very last. Put in the 4 upper bracket bolts, then the 4 carriage bolts and shims under. They said you can put the lower shims where the nuts hit under your helper stack. I started to do this but the dang bolts were super long and you use lock nuts and did not feel like cranking each bolt for an hour with a wrench cause no socket would have been long enough. So I just put the lower brackets under the hole spring stack(they say you can do this if you don't have a helper stack but figured what is it gonna hurt if I do it like that anyhow and save myself the time). Tightened all the bolts in the upper, carriage bolts after I got the bag centered side to side then tightened the last nut on the very bottom of the bag. Real simple, and so worth it!! One reason I got the bags is the same as why you did, being able to adjust them. Good luck, it's a real good saturday morning or sunday job where there is no rush. Take it easy,

Shawn
Parent - - By Caleb C. (**) Date 03-06-2011 21:51
Thanks for the info Shawn. Sounds like a pretty straight-forward install. I was going to install mine today but ended up painting my new bed instead. Hopefully I'll get to it tomorrow evening. I thought about installing a T as well, but read somewhere that the preassure in the bags can vary when cornering, carrying uneven loads etc, if they aren't independent from eachother. I dont know though, it would sure be handy to just add air to one inlet and know that it's all even. Thanks again for walking me through your install and good luck with the new bags.

Caleb
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 03-07-2011 05:16
That makes sense when you think about it. On a corner it might squeeze one and force air to the other, sounds good in my head! LoL! It's pretty basic. I read the directions when I got them last week then looked at the purty pictures when I needed to. I'm pretty anal though, I lay all the bolts out according to size, length. Lay out the nuts lined up neatly, look at what I have where it all goes. Now I'm looking at some heavy duty coil springs for the front that will give the front 2-1/2" of lift plus add a little capacity. Unfortunately the bed height in the back is stupid high, probably because of this hay hauler bed I got so gonna start gathering up steel for my bed this week I think. If you can build a bed like that you'll have no problem putting these bags on.

Shawn
Parent - By Tyler1970 (***) Date 03-06-2011 18:02
bags are great. i have them on my truck. i have the switch in my truck to adjust the air pressure, in stead of at a gas station. and the ride is great.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 03-06-2011 18:22
Looks like I spoke wrong, timbrens, lifetime warranty, sorry timbren folks.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Sorry Cactus!