Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Fire extinguisher size/type?
- - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 03-05-2011 17:07
I definitely need a proper extinguisher on the truck, all I have is a very small abc household type right now in the cab....I do not think it would handle much of a fire.   I am just wondering what some of you carry as far as size and type.   I do not know what size is adequate as far as safety goes...5lb, 10lb, 20lb?  I have only used one once in my life on a gasoline fire with a car and I remember going through two and they seemed woefully inadequate.
Parent - By up-ten (***) Date 03-05-2011 17:25
I carry  a 30lb ABC extinguisher and thats because its the industry standard.
Parent - By J Hall (***) Date 03-05-2011 18:41
I carry a small abc, a 20lb Ansul abc, and a water cannon.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 03-05-2011 19:10
A 10LBS ABC will handle just about anything concerning your truck. If it is bigger than that................RUN !!!!!
Parent - By Johnny Walker (***) Date 03-05-2011 20:53
Gotta 10lb but if it caught fire it would be hell to find under all my junk!! Let the mfer burn lol
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 03-05-2011 20:21
I've got a 10 or 20lb, have not seen it in awhile, behind the seat covered in right handed gloves!!! I picked mine up at a fire extinguisher place that goes around checking and refilling at commercial buildings. Bought one for the shop out of the back of their truck one time. Asked the guy how much he told me $30, this thing is about 24" tall, not sure on weight. It was tagged and certified or whatever the heck it is they do. Now that I think about it, I think that's where the one for the truck came from. Probably have $50 for the both of them, I liked the price.
Parent - - By strother (***) Date 03-05-2011 21:32
I have a 20lb.ABC fire ext. on my truck.  I also have a  pressurized water tank in case I need to wet down an area before I start welding . It's a lot easier to prevent a fire than to fight one!
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 03-06-2011 00:41
strother I am looking to buy one of those water sprayers for just that same reason.  I figure a pump sprayer will work fine but if I can get a deal on one you pump up with a compressor I am interested.  Might be in tall grass one day or over oil covered cardboard the next.
Parent - By Pickupman (***) Date 03-06-2011 00:59
30# Ansul loaded with Purple K. It will put out about anything from a small grass fire to jet fuel. Plus you can reload them yourself.
Parent - By strother (***) Date 03-06-2011 19:17
I made my own water tank . All you need is a tank, a pressure guage , a ball valve , valve stem and a few pipe fittings.
- - By low_hydrogen (**) Date 03-06-2011 05:23
I keep the abc and the water cannon. I also keep a halon extinguisher in the cab of my truck
Parent - By TozziWelding (**) Date 03-06-2011 20:46
I have a 10# dry chem, a 5# CO2, and the old pressurized water one that actually gets used, because it is free to refill.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-07-2011 03:26
Can You still get a halon extinguisher recharged? Halon is an ozone depleting chemical, pretty sure it is regulated under the Montreal Protocall.
Parent - - By low_hydrogen (**) Date 03-07-2011 03:48
I don't have any idea?  I get mine for free. Friend of mine runs a shop that services fire extinguishers and they come out of airplanes.  Something about the altitude, if they land and the gauge reads wrong they replace the extinguisher.  He says most of the time they come back up to normal pressure once they have set around for a while.  He gave me a few for my truck but i have never actually used one of them.

Another local guy has a drag car and has a fancy set up that has nozzles all over the car that spray halon in the event he has a wreck?

A quick google search shows places to buy them, so they must still be available   http://www.halonmarketing.com/mall/prod01.php
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-07-2011 03:55
These 2 lines from the link You posted say it all:

Reclaimed Halon 1211 is returned to original MIL Specification

Uses all recycled gas in accordance with the Montreal Protocol
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Fire extinguisher size/type?