Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / sa200 grinder
- - By lttlerv (*) Date 03-16-2011 00:55
hey everyone I have a redface 200 and want to know if its okay to run a 9" grinder on it or will i cause damage to my machine.  I think i can but just want to make sure,  it seems to me that pipeliners do it everyday without much trouble.
Parent - By Caleb C. (**) Date 03-16-2011 00:57
As long as your grinder likes DC power then your good to go!

Caleb
Parent - By Johnny Walker (***) Date 03-16-2011 13:31
Yep it won't hurt the machine if grinder is wrong the machine will fry the grinder tho
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-16-2011 14:26
I agree, I've not heard or seen a machine hurt by it. 

It is the electric tools you must be careful of.  It is best if they note on the info panel that they run on AC/DC.  But many grinders will run on both even if not noted.  I did say 'MANY', not all.  You can generally use this as a determination:  If it has variable speed, don't use it on DC unless it says it is OK on the label/instructions book;  If the switch only powers it on/off, it is usually OK to use DC.  BUT, it is ALWAYS safer and better to use tools that have the rating stated right on them that they are good for AC/DC.

I have not seen any variable speed 9" grinders.  Should be good to go.  I have a 20-25 year old MAKITA that has been used with an old (early 50's,don't have it anymore so I can't check it's exact age with K) SAE 300 on DC many times.  It still runs like a champ.  Sure is heavy compared to the new ones though.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By psnort (*) Date 03-16-2011 19:25
I had an enthusiastic helper go at it with a 9 inch grinder, bearing down hard, and burned out the exciter on one of my SA200s. Look at the power draw of the grinder - if it's greater than 1 KW (over 8 amps) it's overloading the exciter. You can get away with it for a little while, but watch out if it's heavy continuous use.
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 03-16-2011 20:08
Find you an old WildCat. They will work on them.
Parent - By FixaLinc (****) Date 03-17-2011 14:16
If it has the older R57 idler and you are going to use the grinder hard for a while pin the idler on high idle.
- - By lttlerv (*) Date 03-17-2011 01:51
I Understand this but every 9" grinder i have ever seen draws way more than 8 amps.  Most grinders say they pull around 15 amps, is this still okay to use on the 200s generator?
Parent - By NWPAwelder (**) Date 03-17-2011 01:57
I used my old wildcat for a lot of years on my redface and never had any problems.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-17-2011 02:57
Really old SA-200s had smaller exciters which gave less Aux. power. Most of them give 1750 watts, about 15 amps. There are a few grinders that pull over 15 amps, but darn few.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / sa200 grinder