Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / metal fabrication
- - By Lonnicol Date 03-16-2011 09:37 Edited 03-17-2011 10:23
How difficult is it to get a good job in engineering as in metal fabrication and welding in new zealand ?
i am from england and am considering move to nz.i am a fabricator welder and would like to know a little about this trade in nz. ie: is there much work in this trade and what is the general wage in it good/reasonable/poor?
lean muscle x
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-16-2011 14:38
Lonnicol,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

I'm not from NZ nor have I been there, I just want to ask a couple of questions to maybe clear up something:

I take it you are referring to the Welder/Fabrication trades as a sub category of a larger 'Engineering' trades group??

So, you are not actually looking for work as an engineer, but as a Welder/Fabricator??  And the Pay that you could expect from that trade in New Zealand?

Or, have you recently become an Engineer but have gotten there with your welding/fabricator skills and are looking for work that would include all aspects of your abilities?

I think I know what you are looking for but just thought I would prod you to clarify before some of the people from NZ get in here to help you out with the cold, hard facts.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-17-2011 02:12
Brent, keep in mind that in the UK "engineering" covers a much broader spectrum than what We in the US consider to be an engineer's job.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-17-2011 16:01
Dave,

I only partly understand that, that's why I was asking.  More for my own benefit to find out more about how things were viewed and classified in other parts of the world than for the benefit of others here such as yourself, 3.2, Joey, Shane, etc you know full well how others classify trades.

But thanks for the input.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By JMCInc (**) Date 03-19-2011 16:47
If you aren’t a citizen, you won’t be allowed to work there unless your skill set is HIGHLY specialized. I know a fella that went there to over see the implementation of some of his inventions of which he held the patents to. His observation was that New Zealanders will always fill the position with New Zealanders unless there is no way around it. Friendliest place he had ever been to. Shame the U.S. doesn't implement that policy.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / metal fabrication