Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / What is Your Favorite Hardhat / Hood Combo?
- - By Blaster (***) Date 03-19-2011 03:08
What is Your Favorite Hardhat /  Hood Combo?

I have used Fibermetals years but the plastic pivot point hardware they come with is junk, constantly comes loose, and doesn't hold up well.

Looking for alternatives, or maybe a fix.
Parent - - By weldwade (***) Date 03-19-2011 03:33
I don't know the name off the top of my head but there is a similar setup out of aluminum that is just like the plastic fiber metal. I found it at Reds Welding Supply in the early 90s and its still working. I think I have seen them on the net somewhere though if I come across it I will post the link.
Parent - - By scrappywelds (***) Date 03-19-2011 04:30 Edited 03-20-2011 19:13
take the bolt part of the fibre-metal headgear and cut it off flush. Then drill and tap the remaining peice with a 1/4-20. Go to a hardware store to get plastic 1/4-20 round headed screws and castle nuts. Then asemble with the washers that the headgear came with to keep tension on the bolt. Then tighten to your preferance and put on the castle nut for extra insurance. That is the way I have all my fibre-metal headgear set up. My set up is plastic fibre-metal hard hat, cut down fibre-metal pipeliner with speedyloop.
Parent - By Nitesky (**) Date 03-19-2011 13:25
Sounds like a good fix.
You got any pics?
Parent - By Blaster (***) Date 03-20-2011 04:09
Running a real bolt through the plastic head sounds like a great idea.

I will also check on Red's Welding part.

Thanks!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / What is Your Favorite Hardhat / Hood Combo?