Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Robotic welding industry leader
- - By grayseal (*) Date 01-08-2004 15:21
We will soon be replacing two of our GMAW robots. Who is the leading domestic supplier of welding robots? Our application is low carbon sheet metal.

grayseal
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-08-2004 17:43
grayseal,
I don't know anything about these guys (kukarobotics) but there is a post that gives this robotic mfg's addy, it's listed in this link to that post.
http://aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?id=927
John Wright
Parent - By grayseal (*) Date 01-08-2004 17:47
jwright650,

Thanks for the info.

grayseal
Parent - - By kam (**) Date 01-08-2004 18:04
What brand of robot are you currently using? I have programmed Motoman, ABB & Fanuc robots and in my opinion Motoman is the best of the 3. Not really sure who sells the most robots. Motoman has an impressive tech center and they have been there for me when I needed them.

Another thing to consider is training. If you go with a different brand or model than you already have then you probally will need additional training.

Just my 2 cents

kam
Parent - - By DGXL (***) Date 01-08-2004 18:18
Don't buy a Panasonic.
Parent - - By grayseal (*) Date 01-08-2004 18:49
DGXL,

Thanks for your input. Just the kind of answer I was looking for.

grayseal
Parent - By DGXL (***) Date 01-08-2004 22:44
grayseal:
One client tried to impress me with their new Panasonic robotic cell last year, all it did was knock the parts all over the table and actually welded a few to the bench top. I'm told their still trying to "...dial it in..." almost 9 months later.

Not a good way to impress an auditor...

They did buy a Motoman in December and are in the process of integrating it with their system. Hope this demo goes better than the last one.
Parent - - By grayseal (*) Date 01-08-2004 18:48
kam,

Thanks for the input. We currently have three ABB's of different age. The newer the unit, the less user freindly the welding software. Service is less than adequte. Motoman is less than 30 miles from our plant and I have reviewed their training package. Looks like the way to go.

grayseal
Parent - - By dee (***) Date 01-08-2004 19:47
Greyseal,
I've read Lawrence's remarks back at your other post in Technical. It reminds me of my doctor's recommendation for a urologist who started his practice after many years of service in the military (Doc said that urologist has seen more of 'em than anybody he'd ever met) and it sounded like a good shot.

Ed's job brings him to the equipment that is giving problems. It would be a fair bet his deep experience in worst-case performance issues will provide just the input you are looking for. Even though his focus seems to be directed toward power supply and process control issues, he has delt with all aspects and most brands of industrial welding equipment.

Regards
d
Parent - By kam (**) Date 01-09-2004 15:07
All,

Just a few more cents...hehe

Maybe this input will be helpfull. I've been messing around with these things for sometime and problems are always the same.

1) Ed's observations are correct when he states that lack of ownership of the robot cells is a major problem. Seen it several times.

2) Another common problem which he missed is probally the most critical.
Part variation. Alot of people get the idea that if they put a robot is a cell then it should produce perfect welds everytime. Robots are smart (like R2D2) and dammit they better know how to weld since we spent all that money on them. As a result they tend to become lax with controlling the tolerances of they parts they are putting into the cell. The robots are going to come back to the same programmed location everytime with very good accuracy...but....if the parts vary then you are going to miss the joint and produce bad welds.
Depending on how thick of material you are welding somewhat dictates the precision at which you must hit the joint everytime. In my case i'm welding very thin (.9mm) materials and must not vary by more than 1/2 the wire diameter (.035 wire) or I have problems. Production people tell me that im being unrealistic when I tell them they have to hold them tolerances on thier parts.
3) There is hope however....if you cant maintain above mentioned tolerances then you have to find a way to locate the joint better. This can be done with seam trackers or seam locaters....but this will cost you big bucks$$$$$.

Here is for the guy who is looking for them in the other post....

"Dont send a robot to do a mans job"

Good Luck

kam
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-09-2004 12:42
Hi Kam,
I knew you had fooled around with a few of these and was going to mention your signon, but I hadn't seen you on here for a few weeks or so. That must be a good thing, busy I presume.
take care,
John Wright
Parent - By kam (**) Date 01-09-2004 15:11
Real busy......over worked, over stressed & under paid. About ready to call it quits and become a Walmart Greeter...hehe

Regards

kam
Parent - - By flatjwl (*) Date 01-09-2004 16:05
While doing some research for a local company interested in "perhaps" establishing a robot cell for one of their major welded components, I found that a significant portion of the output from Lincoln is associated to robotics. So, I would suggest contacting the Regional Lincoln Rep for his thoughts.
Parent - By grayseal (*) Date 01-09-2004 16:44
flatjwl,

Thanks for your input.

grayseal
Parent - - By burikg (*) Date 01-27-2004 14:29
Dear All,

We are working in Hungary, (Caterpillar Hungary Co.) with two Motoman cells.
Take into account the followings:
1. service (installation, parts, training);
2. goal (type of product, fixtures), manufacturing conditions(perfabrication of parts - laser cutter, CNC bender, etc...);
3. software;
4. price.
I would suggest you Motoman or ABB, don't buy Panasonic, their machine's frame and gearing is weak.

Regards

G. Burik
Hungary, Europe

Parent - - By grayseal (*) Date 01-27-2004 14:48
burikg,

Thanks for your input. These responses are confirming my original thoughts.

grayseal
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-30-2004 20:37
Hi Greyseal!
I have to agree with the choice of using a motoman being that they are so close to you.
From what I gather, the total package (complete robot cell) is really important to investigate because as Ed Craig so elequently put it: " If you're integrating with a japanese welding power source, your welds will come out inferior compared to using a north american power source for about half the price." Stay away from Japanese components!!!
Fixturing and positioning are also important so, bottom line is to go with an integrator that has plenty of experience with all aspects of robotic cell integration. Genesis in the US comes to mind...

Respectfully,

SSBN727 Run Silent... Run Deep!!!
Parent - By p61b Date 02-02-2004 17:59
I recommend Motoman. We have bought complete cells from them and also just the components. The equipment takes a lot of abuse well. They have a good help line and their training classes are very good. The packages are very flexible, from basic to sophisticated. All you have to add is $$$!

p61b
Parent - By Robby Date 03-08-2004 17:16
If you are looking for information on welding robotics.(domestically)
give Dan Alford at Arc Specialties, in Houston a call. 713-631-7575.
Robby
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Robotic welding industry leader