Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / plate to big diameter range welder qualified
- - By carlos_correia (*) Date 03-28-2011 12:46
Hello,

A welder was qualified under ASME IX 2010 using plate of 7/8 in thickness P1 material for 3G.
Is this welder qualified to weld a girth weld with more than 78 in diameter 3/8 in thickness for 3G or 2G?

thanks
Parent - - By jarcher (**) Date 03-28-2011 12:58 Edited 03-28-2011 13:00
The welder would be qualified to weld 3/16" to the maximum thickness of the WPS. Plate tests qualify for pipe over 24". You really need to tell who ever you are working for to get a copy of Section IX 2010 if they are going to take jobs that require that code.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-28-2011 15:22 Edited 03-28-2011 16:26
The answers to your questions are found in Section IX, Articles QW-452.1(b) and QW-461.9.

There is no minimum thickness qualified under ASME Section IX-2010 based on QW-452.1(b). The welder is qualified for a range up to 2t, where t is the thickness of the weld deposited if the weld deposited is less than 1/2 inch or less than three layer (not beads). The thickness range is unlimited if the thickness of the weld deposited is 1/2 inch or thicker and the welded sample consists of at least three layers. Your welder is qualified for unlimited thickness per QW-452.1(b) assuming at least three layers were deposited.

As for the range of pipe diameters, that depends on the diameters of the pipe. There are two categories, pipe less than or equal to 24 inches in diameter and pipe over 24 inches in diameter. In your case the pipe is over 24 inches in diameter. QW-461.9 indicates the performance qualification done on plate in the 3G position qualifies the welder for the 1G and 3G pipe positions when the pipe is over 24 inches in diameter.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By jarcher (**) Date 03-29-2011 02:54 Edited 03-29-2011 02:59
Al, I don't have a copy of Section IX at home, so I'm working from something of handycap, but
Welder Performance Qualification for thin materials would be governed by the WPS would it not? The WPS thickness was not in the information given but I believe the rule is 1/2 t for 1/4" and below or 3/16 for 3/8" and above with 5/8" minimum w/impacts for plate 3/4" and above plate. Actually "unlimited" pertaining to thickness is not a term used by ASME in WPS's, unlike AWS. There is always an upper thickness limit on an ASME WPS, except the case of a PJP weld qualified by a CJP PQR, in which case the code book does use the word unlimited. Therefore, when writing welder's WPQR's for ASME, I use WPS limits as the maximum qualified for. Haven't had any friction on audits with that terminology to date. All this is predicated on the 2007 Section IX, but I doubt this stuff has changed for 2010. I haven't seen the 2010 yet because I've had a major health issue for the last year and haven't worked since last March. But I am ready to rock 'n roll now and I'm out looking.

Edit: Grammar and wording.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-29-2011 03:56 Edited 03-29-2011 04:12
John, I’m sorry to hear you are experiencing poor health.

My wife has been having problems since she hit her early 40's and it has affected every aspect of her daily life.

You did a good job of trying to answer the question considering you don’t have access to the latest edition of ASME Section IX.

This is my take on the subject. The welder uses a qualified WPS when he is tested, but he is not limited to the one WPS once the test is completed and all the requisite tests have been passed. The WPS has specific ranges for which it is qualified, but the ranges for welder performance are not limited by the same articles as the WPS, i.e., different tables list the limits of thickness ranges for the WPS and performance qualification.

ASME Section IX allows the welder to be qualified for unlimited thickness if the test coupon is at least 1/2 inch thick and the weld is deposited in no less than three layers. No lower limit is listed for the thickness range qualified regardless of the test coupon thickness. This allows a welder to use a WPS that was originally qualified using 1 5/8 inch plate, i.e., the PQR test thickness. While the WPS used for performance qualification is qualified for thicknesses between 3/16 inch up to 8 inches thick, the welder is not limited to 8 inches if the contractor has a different production WPS qualified for thicknesses over 8 inches. 

Welder qualification does not include a requirement for notch toughness. However, where notch toughness is a requirement for the construction code, the WPS must be qualified for toughness and the welder must follow the WPS and work within the listed ranges of voltage, amperage, and travel speed if those variables are used by the WPS to control the heat input.

I hope your health problems are a passing thing and you recovery is imminent.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / plate to big diameter range welder qualified