Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Carbon Contamination of 304L and 316L S.S
- - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 04-05-2011 14:36
Ok, please give me your thoughts on carbon contamination of 300 series S.S. I have been researching this issue and have found two schools of thought. One being its not that big of an issue if its in small ammounts, and the other school of thought is. if you even use the term "carbon" around S.S you will be excommunicated from the the industry. Does anyone have any web sites, or technical articles that you can share with me? We are dealing with small amounts of carbon contamination on some 304L material that was done by a fork lift picking up the material and the carbon steel forks were not protected. We have a pickeling procedure that we are using to take care of the issue.

Thanks inadvance for your help

Jim
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 04-05-2011 19:27
If I understood correctly, a fork lift truck picked up some 304L material (let's imagine they were pipe fittings) to carry them away from a certain place, and the brief contact with the unprotected lifting forks contaminated the 304L material with no remedy. In my opinion, this is a little exaggerated. Can a contact that lasted, say, five minutes between the two surfaces, have contaminated so severely the stainless one?

When welding stainless steel only stainless steel brushes and alumina or zirconia grinding disks should be used, but this is a different case. The contact between the brushes or the grinding disks and the stainless surface is longer and intimate, whereas the contact between the forks and the stainless material was only superficial.
In any case, if you're going to pickle the stainless surface, there's nothing you should worry about.
This is my opinion; someone may have a different one.

Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-05-2011 22:01
The issue is not one of carbon contamination. The concern is whether or not "carbon steel" may have contaminated the surface of the stainless steel material. The issue is whether the carbon steel was transferred or embedded as small particles into the surface of the stainless steel. This can happen if there was any rubbing, sliding, abrasion, or scratching while the stainless was being moved from one location to another while on the unprotected forks. 

The concern can be proven or disproven by wetting the stainless steel with water and letting it set over night. If any carbon steel was transferred, it will manifest itself as rust stains on the surface of the stainless steel. If there are no rust stains, count yourself as "lucky."

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By kcd616 (***) Date 04-06-2011 04:26
Been there done that.
Bechtel and Flour are famous for this.
SS to non SS contact.
Giovanni is correct
On a side note the more I read what Giovanni has to say, the more impressive he is.
Hope this helps.
Thank you for your time and consideration.
Sincerely,
Kent
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 04-07-2011 20:20
Kent,
thankyou for your kind (and undeserved) words.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 04-06-2011 18:17 Edited 04-06-2011 20:54
It is Stainless Steel pipe. Forks of fork lift were in contact with pipe for 10 min. max. After resent rain there is now rust marks on the S.S that were not evident prior to C.S forks coming in contact with material.  Don't know if that is "exaggerated" or not but thoes are the facts of the case your hornor. :)

Jim
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 04-07-2011 02:22
If the pickeling isn't doing the job, the next step is electropolising.

This is a more agressive method for removal of surface iron from contact transfer or iron in the alloy, It leaves a chrome rich surface
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 04-06-2011 01:46
Your pickeling operation is the proper method for dealing with transfered carbon.

As to how big a deal transfered carbon is, it will be determined by how critical the part is, the aplication, and how important the visual effect is.
Parent - - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 04-07-2011 14:10
Thanks for your responses. I did find an article by Walter Sperko that shed some light on how to determine how criticle a given issue might be. It is not one size fits all and in most cases can be easily remedied.

Jim
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-07-2011 14:35
Sperko is the best.

Deep understanding of both materials behavior and code.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Carbon Contamination of 304L and 316L S.S