Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / ASTM E985 Handrail Specification
- - By yojimbo (***) Date 04-08-2011 03:57
Couldn't decide which formum was most approriate, hopefully this might get some traffic and answers.  Bidding a stair and railing project which references ASTM E985 spec for fabrication along with WAC 5150 Sec, 1012,1013, 1607.7.  A google search has provided web pages offering to sell the relevent information, but I can likely locate them at the university engineering library.  Is anyone familiar with these codes?  I am trying to determine if they require the fabricator to provide engineering and or testing for the railings.  The contract drawings are as usual, incomplete, and I wont be able to bid without understanding the codes requirements.  Anyone with insight?  Thanks in advance.
Parent - - By Bob Garner (***) Date 04-08-2011 19:45
I have a copy of ASTM E985, 1996 edition, likely out of date.  Most of what is covered is relative to the design of the railing system and this should be covered by whoever designed the system.  They do have a statement, "Fabrication tolerances of components of shall be plus or minus 1/16".  Alignment tolerances of installed products shall be within plus or minus 1/4" within a length of 20 Feet".

The rest covers loadings and overall dimensions which are up to the designer.

I hope this helps.  The dam# ASTM is copyrighted and they won't let us make copies of them here at work.  The WAC's are state laws (Washington Administrative Code) and should be available to the public.

Bob G.
Parent - - By yojimbo (***) Date 04-08-2011 22:55
Bob-
Thanks for the reply.  I have an RFI into the architect regarding the specs. and specifically asking if the project requires engineering or testing.  I am fairly certain it doesn't but need to cover my bases.  The WAC specs. I've searched produced related articles but not the spec itself- although I didn't spend too much time researching- I should have my relevant answers by monday in addendum, and another week before bid so I should be covered.  Thanks again for pitching in.
Parent - By MBSims (****) Date 04-09-2011 01:24
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / ASTM E985 Handrail Specification