Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Spiral Staircase
- - By louis2 (**) Date 04-15-2011 00:11
I'm looking at building a spiral staircase for a relative. It will be outside and only needs to be about 50" high. I can use only six steps or five if I make a small landing for the top. Most of the ones I've looked at have a center pipe with sleeves the steps are welded to that slide down over the main pole. Cost of the project needs to be held to a minimum. I'm debating on doing away with the 4" sleeves that slide down over the 3.5" main pole and going with a 4" main pole and welding the steps directly to the main pole. I am afraid of the pole warping. Does anyone have any input? I welcome all suggestions.

Louis
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 04-15-2011 00:46
Hello Louis, the sleeve set-up is by far the simplest way in which to set-up and build a spiral staircase. When you are attaching the steps/treads directly to the pole there is a lot more chance for errors in spacing, levelling, etc. and it is much more difficult to do the layout. I have built stairs both ways and the direct tread method is much more of a challenge. Using the sleeves gives you the latitude to put the parts in place and then bring everything into line without a lot of hassle and then weld it to exactly fit your needs. You would be able to put the center pole in place and carefully position it to ensure a good fit and that it is level/plumb prior to installing the treads. When you put the treads into place you could locate the bottom tread and the top tread and then very easily space all of the other treads to make everything even and symetrical. Regardless of which choice you make there is some initial layout required to ensure that your treads are the correct width/length and once they have been spaced out that you will have the correct amount of tread extending past the nosing of the tread directly above it. Good luck on your project and please post up your progress as you work on it. I and others would certainly enjoy seeing how it turns out. Good luck and best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Jssec (**) Date 04-15-2011 21:44
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 04-15-2011 23:11
Jssec, great site there, thanks for including. Regards, Allan
- - By Tim655 (*) Date 04-15-2011 00:15
http://www.ehow.com/videos-on_5001_build-steel-spiral-staircase.html
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 04-15-2011 00:29
Just type Spiral Staircase in the search and there is a post from aevald that will help you out I think.

M.G.
Parent - By louis2 (**) Date 04-15-2011 00:39
thanks I will. I should have searched first... My mistake.
Parent - - By louis2 (**) Date 04-15-2011 00:38
I have watched this video and the gentleman uses 4" tubing with an 1/8" wall. He mig welds the steps on after tacking all of them in place. He says nothing about warping being a problem or how to control it. I can't seem to look at metal and even think about welding it without it warping in some manner.
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 04-15-2011 00:51
You will have some warping it don't matter how you weld it but you can skip around and do a little welding and keep alot of warping out of
it.

M.G.
Parent - By Bob Garner (***) Date 04-15-2011 15:32
How will you do the railing?  That to me would be the hardest part.
- - By Tim655 (*) Date 04-15-2011 16:38
I have built several, and heat has never caused any problems
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 04-15-2011 16:49
Tim655
Nice
Marshall
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-15-2011 17:41
Ditto what Marshall said.:cool:
Parent - - By jffluxcore (**) Date 04-15-2011 21:25
Tim nice work, jim
Parent - By up-ten (***) Date 04-15-2011 22:00
Tim needs a website.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 04-15-2011 23:12
Hello Tim, really nice stuff there. Thanks for posting it up. Best regards, Allan
- By Tim655 (*) Date 04-16-2011 13:57
Thanks for all of the nice comments. Here is my website...

http://starweldindustrial.com/
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Spiral Staircase